DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 9, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #14,523 of 16,312
I got my Fostex T50RP's today, I'm planning on reterminating them to a 1/8 jack, but didn't have the tools handy to do so. I wanted to listen to my new headphones but I couldn't find a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, I did have a big-ass soldering iron and an old 1/8 cable lying around, curiosity got the better of me and this happened.

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #14,524 of 16,312
  I got my Fostex T50RP's today, I'm planning on reterminating them to a 1/8 jack, but didn't have the tools handy to do so. I wanted to listen to my new headphones but I couldn't find a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, I did have a big-ass soldering iron and an old 1/8 cable lying around, curiosity got the better of me and this happened.

If it works then it works. :)

For the future, you should order a female 1/4" and put it on the end of that chopped up 1/8" cable. Then you'll have an adapter just in case.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #14,525 of 16,312

Your story makes me laugh and feel your plight all at once.
If you're interested, shoot me a PM and we can discuss whipping up something for you on the house.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #14,526 of 16,312

MacGyver would've used a paperclip and duct tape, but I'll give you a pass mark anyway.

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #14,527 of 16,312
Got bored tonight and made two more cables.  Mogami W2893 stripped down and sleeved in 275 paracord.  First cable is 1.5m long with 1/4" Amphenol and MCX connectors.  Second cable is for my ATH M50's, is 1m long with 1/8" Amphenol and MCX termination.  Still waiting on some more female MCX connectors to do the dual entry mod on the M50's.  I got a set of FA-011's on the way too that will get stripped down, made a little sexier, and get the dual entry.  Enjoy the pics, I'm jamming with the new cable on my DT880s!!!  
beyersmile.png

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #14,529 of 16,312

How do you stop the cable from unwinding? does it stay twisted naturally?

By evenly wrapping them around each other instead of twisting in a vice or drill. If you simply clamp one end, then wind them and let the loose ends untangle themselves as you go, the cable will hold itself in shape.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #14,530 of 16,312

icebear,
Great collection
Can you share cost estimate of parts for 1 set power cable?
I'm looking good (but not costly) UK plug, I'm not sure Wattgate has it.

~ron~

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #14,532 of 16,312
Sorry @Armaegis but I'm not sure to understand. Let's say you make your connections on one end, you simply twist them evenly and they will remain twisted by themselves?

Pretty much. The two wires will revolve around each other, but each individual wire will technically be bending around the other, not twisting.

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #14,533 of 16,312

Pretty much. The two wires will revolve around each other, but each individual wire will technically be bending around the other, not twisting.

yeah, i think when people look at two wires that go around each other they think that the wires are twisted that way. one can indeed twist them by grabbing them with two fingers and torquing them around (twist)...OR, one can simply lay one strand on top of the other like you're braiding two strands. the effect is that they don't "twist" and want to spin open, rather they stay together and don't want to unwind. 

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #14,534 of 16,312

icebear,
Great collection
Can you share cost estimate of parts for 1 set power cable?
I'm looking good (but not costly) UK plug, I'm not sure Wattgate has it.

~ron~

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back