DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 27, 2004 at 10:30 AM Post #166 of 16,305
My first effort.

- The most expensive generic connectors I could find.
- 99.99% 24GA solid wire (2 per cable)
- A ferrite core heatshrinked onto the cable.
- The cable itself is air-dielectric coaxial cable with the black cover, and ground shielding removed. (wires were simple pushed in through air holes, and the copper is still floating unconnected in the centre to make the cable ridgid).

interconnects.jpg

Sounds great. A bit brighter then the copper cable I was using. Suits the dark Hd580s quite nicely.

Dec 27, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #167 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
SR-325 re-cable.

4 runs of 20 AWG silver-plated wire (2 per driver).
Vampire Wire 1/4" connector
plus flex-tech and some heatshrink.

How did it effect the sound?

Dec 27, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #169 of 16,305
Quote:

How did it effect the sound?

Its tough to say. I did notice differences, but without being able to A/B compare I can't say for sure that the differences were caused by a psychological effect. Anyway, with that out of the way:
The highs seemed moderately more detailed and clear. Not really louder, but less grainy. As well, the mids seem more lifelike. Bass seems more or less the same.

-JMJ

Dec 27, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #170 of 16,305
Quote:

Its tough to say. I did notice differences, but without being able to A/B compare I can't say for sure that the differences were caused by a psychological effect. Anyway, with that out of the way:
The highs seemed moderately more detailed and clear. Not really louder, but less grainy. As well, the mids seem more lifelike. Bass seems more or less the same.

-JMJ

Well as long as you're happy with the results, that's what counts
smily_headphones1.gif
That's a very modded 325 in any case
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #171 of 16,305
Lol indeed the most expensive does not mean best. However given that the gold on the next line down quite literally rubbed off the connectors, and the fact they cost only $3 each I thought, why not go crazy.

I currently still have no faith in expensive connectors for better sound, although the amp I'm using now would be the one to test that theory with.

Dec 28, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #172 of 16,305
Quote:

Well as long as you're happy with the results, that's what counts That's a very modded 325 in any case

Thanks.

In fact, I find myself enjoying the overall quality of the cable more than the actual sonic benefits. It's hard to tell from the pics, the whole thing is very solid (I actually impressed myself). As well, my new cable doesn't have those annoying microphonics where the cord enters the cup as it is big enough to completely fill the hole.

-JMJ

Dec 28, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #173 of 16,305
Quote:

In fact, I find myself enjoying the overall quality of the cable more than the actual sonic benefits.

For me that's a minor annoyance to DIY headphone cables, it's very noticable during listening so if it's not perfect it will drive you crazy until you pull it apart and rebuild it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #174 of 16,305
There is one part of the cable that I'm still going to work on a bit - the "Y". You can't tell from the pic but I'm not 100% happy with the way the heatshrink formed it is a bit pinched looking in one spot. I'll think I'll try a suggestion I saw on here before: Taking a small piece of small diameter pipe and covering the "Y" with that and heatshrinking that piece onto the cable.

Dec 28, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #175 of 16,305
Quote:

There is one part of the cable that I'm still going to work on a bit - the "Y". You can't tell from the pic but I'm not 100% happy with the way the heatshrink formed it is a bit pinched looking in one spot. I'll think I'll try a suggestion I saw on here before: Taking a small piece of small diameter pipe and covering the "Y" with that and heatshrinking that piece onto the cable.

yup thats what i do, and it looks fantastic.

Dec 28, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #176 of 16,305
old build.

orange starquad, white techflex, dually canare f10s and single canare f12

photo020small8dk.jpg

Dec 31, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #180 of 16,305
Thanks for the pic.

That looks really good. I think I'll add it to my bag of tricks. I'm going to do small batch of cables soon too. I'm building a nice set of RCAs that are nice and long so I don't have to get off my butt to adjust the volume on my amp(Do you guys think Eichmann Bullets would be overkill for my setup?), as well I'm building 6 RCAs for the 5.1 connection from my Pioneer DVD player to my Pioneer reciever. I'm thinking I'll have them running all together in large diameter techflex(I think 3/4" or 1" should do it) and then doing a pipe piece and having them break out into 6 individual connections(each in a layer of thinner tech-flex). Probably gonna use these connectors for the termination since I don't want to go poor buying all 12 connectors.

-JMJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back