DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 24, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #13,381 of 16,305
Well today marked on of the most stressful jobs I've ever done, and my first high dollar audio work. 

On the cutting table today was my (frustrating) Beyerdynamic T70. I like having removable cables for storage and being able to swap on a shorter cable or balanced if need be.

The process was definitely trying, I broke both driver leads while removing the left driver to work on the housing that needed to be reworked to accommodate the jack I wanted to use. Luckily there was just enough left to repair the connections to factory quality, had to use a microscope to verify the wires were well soldered. The housings required heavy modification and the driver supports also had to be cut down. I used a 0.500" endmill to flatten out the exterior of the can in order for the jack to sit flush, and drilled out the old square hole to fit the new jack.

Everything came out well though, they still lack in the bass department but that's their nature. I don't know that I'd do it again, but it was certainly an educational experience. Since I used a 4 position connector I can run them fully balanced.

For those keeping score at home, here's a part list and price.

Connectors:
Jack         - EGG.0B.304.CLL           - $21
Connector - FGG.0B.304.CLAD52Z   - $27
1/4" TRS   - NP3X-B                     - $6.50

Cable:
Main         - 24x6 spiral shield           - $3/ft  (estimated, wire from work)
Internal     - 26 awg PVC                   - $1/ft (if you buy large quantities)

Luckily I salvaged some connectors and cable from work, because this is an expensive modification with these parts.

Hopefully you enjoy these pictures, be careful when working with drivers, I almost lost the left channel. Happy Modding!

Looks clean without a wire dangling off.

One of the few applications where heat shrink being exposed looks good to me. I would have sleeved the wires in shock cord but it wouldn't fit through the cable glands, this looks nice. An even twist is paramount.

Hell, it even looks good WITH a cable dangling down.

I really like the look of these connectors, they are push to mate, pull to release. However they lock in place unless you pull back on the sleeve, pulling on the cable will not release the connector.

You can see the step I milled in the housing to get the connector to sit flush, luckily the washers that come with the jack are just under 0.500"

Here's a picture of the bare cable, it's about 3m long. Note, I didn't end up using the quad twisted style in this picture, it was too big, I just used a twisted pair for each driver. The right pair runs under the headband cover.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #13,384 of 16,305
Is it possible to build high quality DIY USB cables, like the ones sold by Poiema audio?

http://home.comcast.net/~ridgestreetaudio/Poiema_USB_40_Ad.html

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #13,385 of 16,305
  Is it possible to build high quality DIY USB cables, like the ones sold by Poiema audio?

http://home.comcast.net/~ridgestreetaudio/Poiema_USB_40_Ad.html

No because you can't get the "Sacred Unicorn Hair" they use for the dielectric.

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #13,386 of 16,305
Unicorn hair notwithstanding, yes you could build something like it. Digging through their intentionally vague description, looks like silver in Teflon with large conductors for the power and ground separated by probably just a foil shield from the data lines.

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #13,387 of 16,305

No because you can't get the "Sacred Unicorn Hair" they use for the dielectric.

Actually... http://www.twaron-angelhair.com/index.php?item=twaron-unicorn-tail&action=page&group_id=10&lang=EN

cool.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #13,388 of 16,305
Unicorn hair notwithstanding, yes you could build something like it. Digging through their intentionally vague description, looks like silver in Teflon with large conductors for the power and ground separated by probably just a foil shield from the data lines.

Is it worth paying 300$ for this cable, there are any out of box alternatives for cheaper price. Planning to get one to use with PWD II 

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #13,389 of 16,305
Mar 25, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #13,390 of 16,305
Is it worth paying 300$ for this cable, there are any out of box alternatives for cheaper price. Planning to get one to use with PWD II 

I just realized this is in the gallery thread. We should move the conversation to the Diy cable question and answer thread or start a new one altogether. Whether or not it is worth it is highly subjective, but for that money I'd try a cable that actually does something with the geometry that might actually make a difference. Something from Wireworld or iFi would be a good place to start. If you want hand crafted still, Doublehelixcables makes a cable that keeps power and ground completely separated under multiple layers of shielding.

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #13,392 of 16,305

Users who are viewing this thread

Back