DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #12,676 of 16,307
Quote:

In general, it is way easier to work with the wires in paracord because with the stock bulk cable, it was very hard to slide the sleeves of the jacks up and down. This resulted in a lot of wasted plugs for me as I would have to exert so much force to slide the sleeve down that sometimes I pulled too hard and the actual plug came off. Also, I've had some funny conection problems where stray strands can sometimes come in contact with others. To solve this as well as add some more strain relief, I have filled the plugs with hot glue before putting the sleeves on. It makes them way more stable electrically and mechanically.

Hope you enjoyed. More materials are on the way so probably more pictures soon. Full album: http://imgur.com/a/q7wbV

Sorry, perhaps my grammar isn't too specific. I think the misconception here is that I required a lot of force to get the sleeving on whether it was techflex or paracord. Yeah no, techflex slides on like a charm and could be "wormed" about 6 -9 inches at a time. Paracord however needed to be inched 1/2 to 1 inch at a time. Definitely grab a movie to relieve the tediousness.

I was referring to the sleeves of the jacks. The Rean NYS231BG plugs have a diameter that is just enough or possibly a bit smaller than the diameter of canare cable. Therefore, you have the hole of the plug sleeve compressing the cable and when sliding back and forth it would be shaving the shielding of the cable. This became very unsightly and it required a lot more effort to keep it clean. Hence the fact which I much prefer working with paracord now because the cable loses that large diameter and is basically just the width of the wire braid. For bigger jacks such as the canare or switchcraft which have a larger diameter for cables, I would recon its not as much of a problem, but I prefer the look and feel of paracord over techflex anyways. 

Now, the hot glue was to prevent the stray strands that sometimes occurred when stripping the wire from ever possibly coming into contact with each other. It also allowed me to secure the end of the paracord with hot glue as the crimp strain relief would not likely be tight enough to hold on to the paracord. This was more important for the canare plugs as I did not want to use heat shrink to hold the paracord/techflex in place.

I think I cleared up the conclusion?

Then get the correct plugs for your cable OD?? You're making something sound like a problem that's not a problem...

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #12,677 of 16,307
Quote:
Ya I got you.  Ya I know the feeling but I would suggest that you get larger connectors next time instead of trying to force it.  And hot glue works wonderfully as you pointed out in many situations but if you make a mistake or want to take off the connector you are going to have many many problems so I would not suggest it in the future.  

Yeah, I love the canare connectors, they just look better and are easier to assemble than rean plugs. However, they are slim and they fit into my M50's which have a removeable cable mod. I ordered more REAN plug, but now i'm using paracord now so, the hole should be sufficient.

I hot glue after testing connections and sound quality. I haven't noticed any disturbances in either using hot glue, Its not conductive so it shouldn't be a problem other than as you said, not being easily reversible. Before this escalates to an even more length discussion, the question and answer thread would probably be a better place for this. 

@Circuitblender: I'm not blaming anyone. It's just my experience. Other people might benefit from knowing that those 2 materials (both very popular on markertek) aren't exactly compatible. It was a problem; I learned the hard way that it's important to look at diameters for compatibility. Now someone that reads it will recognize that plugs require a slimmer cable than the canare quads.Give me a break, jeez. You're sounding like my content is demeaning to the thread.

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #12,680 of 16,307
For those who have been away from this thread for a few weeks, the following thread has been created to allow members to post questions and answers regarding DIY cable information.  Posting the questions in this other thread, keeps this thread open to be a gallery thread to show off our fine work.

I've created a Questions, Answers and Comments thread for DIY cables via the following link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread

This is all being done to allow this thread to get back on track for its true purpose -- to be a Gallery of DIY cables!!

Thank you !!

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #12,681 of 16,307
Indeed, this be a gallery.

One of my 3.5mm-to-1/4" plug adapters is starting to fail after heavy use in the past four years.

I built this cable adapter to replace it for kicks with leftovers:

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #12,682 of 16,307
A small project I worked on for another forum member for their pair of Grado headphones.  The stock / factory cable apparently was an attractive item for a pet to chew on and was a bit distressed.  Here's the completed work.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #12,687 of 16,307
The paracord looks like 'Starry Night'.

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #12,688 of 16,307
Quote:
Little 1" piece of aluminum tube?

Actually, I've used steel sleeves in the past.  However, I use nylon sleeves that are 1" long.  The inner diameter is tight when you buy them.  However, I use a drill to bore them out with a 1/4" diameter bit.  I then inject hot glue to prevent the piece from moving.  Then, I cover it with shrink tube.

Also, yes, the paracord is "Starry Night".  I really like it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back