DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 29, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #12,421 of 16,305
Quote:
I did everything you suggested.. I just decided to braid it without the shielding on. I sat there for a good 15 minutes, with no progress.

If you want you can tape a paper clip to one end of the wire and it will be easier to get it through.  That way you have something to acctually push through. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #12,423 of 16,305
Quote:
Does anyone here know how to solder on hifiman connectors?

Yup they are pretty simple.  If I remember correctly the pin inside is your signal and the shield is the ground so you have 2 sides so you will have L, Ground and R, Ground.  

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #12,424 of 16,305
Quote:
Quote:
I did everything you suggested.. I just decided to braid it without the shielding on. I sat there for a good 15 minutes, with no progress.

If you want you can tape a paper clip to one end of the wire and it will be easier to get it through.  That way you have something to acctually push through. 

I actually am liking it without the shielding so far, a lot more. Thanks for the help though, maybe I'll do a crazy color braid sometime. Also, couldn't I do 24awg, and it would be a lot easier to put the shielding on?

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #12,425 of 16,305
Quote:
I actually am liking it without the shielding so far, a lot more. Thanks for the help though, maybe I'll do a crazy color braid sometime. Also, couldn't I do 24awg, and it would be a lot easier to put the shielding on?

I think that if you get good wire than bare wire looks very chic but that just might be me.  As long as my cables aren't ugly I don't cover them up.  

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #12,426 of 16,305
Quote:
Quote:

I think that if you get good wire than bare wire looks very chic but that just might be me.  As long as my cables aren't ugly I don't cover them up.  

I also think it looks better with bare wire. But to go crazy with colors, you need braiding
size]

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #12,427 of 16,305
Jul 29, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #12,428 of 16,305
Quote:
Quote:
I really like the neutrik ones from redco http://www.redco.com/Mini-3-5mm-2-5mm-Connectors/ they are really good quality and won't break the bank.  Moon audio also has a couple you can look at http://www.moon-audio.com/diy-audio-parts/other-connectors.html?limit=30&p=1

If you order from Redco, don't forget to also get the wire stripper that handles 20ga to 30ga wires.  It's only $10 and I saw it on their site the other evening.

Is it good?

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #12,429 of 16,305
ya they are pretty good. http://www.redco.com/Eclipse-CP-301G.html

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #12,431 of 16,305
I wish I had known about that deal earlier mine where double the price and honestly they aren't that great quality 
frown.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #12,432 of 16,305
Quote:
I wish I had known about that deal earlier mine where double the price and honestly they aren't that great quality 
frown.gif

Could've said that in the first place after I bought them..

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #12,433 of 16,305

After you finally gave up and pulled the sleeving off the wire, did you notice if any of the wire was sticking out of the end of the wire's insulation? What I encountered when trying to get that sort of sleeving over insulated wire was that the wires would start to stick out past the insulation and want to snag on the sleeving. To try and solve that, I'd pull on the insulation and stretch it beyond the wire a little bit and that solved the snagging problem.

se

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #12,434 of 16,305
Quote:
Quote:

After you finally gave up and pulled the sleeving off the wire, did you notice if any of the wire was sticking out of the end of the wire's insulation? What I encountered when trying to get that sort of sleeving over insulated wire was that the wires would start to stick out past the insulation and want to snag on the sleeving. To try and solve that, I'd pull on the insulation and stretch it beyond the wire a little bit and that solved the snagging problem.

se

I checked, as you had told me about it before, and there was none sticking out.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #12,435 of 16,305
Quote:
Could've said that in the first place after I bought them..

No no a different pair.  the ones from there are good.  sorry for the misunderstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back