DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 15, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #12,288 of 16,305
Quote:
Nice interconnect and box! I dont know how you soldered all those wires to those Paliccs jacks. The soldering point are so small. I always make a mess when I try.

Thanks!

The solder points are pretty tiny, I do have a PTA7 Screwdriver tip (700 °F 1/16") that gets into the close places. The 6 wire braid has all the black wires as ground with the two interlacing whites as  L & R, the black wires stripped back to the strain relief fit through the ground hole very easily.

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #12,291 of 16,305
Quote:

Thanks!

The solder points are pretty tiny, I do have a PTA7 Screwdriver tip (700 °F 1/16") that gets into the close places. The 6 wire braid has all the black wires as ground with the two interlacing whites as  L & R, the black wires stripped back to the strain relief fit through the ground hole very easily.

That's awesome man, I'm going to have to invest in a better soldering iron. Right now I'm just using a cheap Radio Shack iron. 

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #12,292 of 16,305
Quote:
That's awesome man, I'm going to have to invest in a better soldering iron. Right now I'm just using a cheap Radio Shack iron. 

My old Weller TCP is from the 70's and has soldered more connections that I care to count, for an old iron it's still heating up ready to go in 45 seconds. One of these days a shiny new Hakko will replace it but until then a little tap every now and again frees up the heater switch.

You want to look into one of these, very reasonable and a good iron makes all the difference in the world.
http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=49&PID=5085&Page=1

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #12,293 of 16,305
Quote:
My old Weller TCP is from the 70's and has soldered more connections that I care to count, for an old iron it's still heating up ready to go in 45 seconds. One of these days a shiny new Hakko will replace it but until then a little tap every now and again frees up the heater switch.

You want to look into one of these, very reasonable and a good iron makes all the difference in the world.
http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=49&PID=5085&Page=1

That has a lot of features for the price. If I ever start making wires for more than just myself I may consider spending the money on one of these. I've already saved myself heaps of money just by making my own cables. I've made a Senn cable for my HD580's, 5 3.5mm male-male cables and a few interconnects already with my cheap iron. If a good iron will make it easier to get jobs done more tidily, and faster, I guess spending the money would pay off pretty quickly.

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #12,294 of 16,305
Check this out guys. Seems like a pretty good deal
SPC, OCC, cryo'd, 7N...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UP-OCC-Silver-Plated-Copper-Audio-Wire-24AWG-PE-Insulation-7N-99-99999-/231000467352?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35c8b36798

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #12,295 of 16,305
Jul 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #12,296 of 16,305
I just finished my cable for my audeze lcd2.2 yesterday and thought that I would show it off.  

Silver from top to bottom 
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #12,297 of 16,305
Quote:
I just finished my cable for my audeze lcd2.2 yesterday and thought that I would show it off.  

Silver from top to bottom 
biggrin.gif

Nice!!!

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #12,298 of 16,305
So for my Type I Paracord, how do I get the white thread out, I try pulling it out, but it results in the shielding coiling up. Thus, I can only get about 1 foot out before it stops coming out.. And solutions?

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #12,299 of 16,305
Quote:
So for my Type I Paracord, how do I get the white thread out, I try pulling it out, but it results in the shielding coiling up. Thus, I can only get about 1 foot out before it stops coming out.. And solutions?

You need to cut the length you need to free up the bottom end.  For every foot or so you pull out, you need to push/flatten the sleeving down.  Kind of the opposite of what you will have to do to get the sleeving on.  Think inchworm.  Pull a little, smooth/push it down the line.  Pull a little, smooth/push it down the line.

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #12,300 of 16,305
Quote:
Quote:

You need to cut the length you need to free up the bottom end.  For every foot or so you pull out, you need to push/flatten the sleeving down.  Kind of the opposite of what you will have to do to get the sleeving on.  Think inchworm.  Pull a little, smooth/push it down the line.  Pull a little, smooth/push it down the line.

Got it, thanks:) 

Forgot to ask, if I want to make a 5 foot cable, and I'm going to do a 3 wire braid, how long should I cut? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back