DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #11,626 of 16,306
Move your other hand up as you twist to keep the same distance between your twisting hand and your supporting hand (use it to pinch the cable tight so it doesn't twist beyond that hand).

Quote:
How do you guys keep your 2-wire braids even?
Mine always seem to be loose at the beginning and much tighter towards the end.
Is there some kind of secret on how to make the twists evenly throughout the length?

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #11,629 of 16,306
Nice work Justin, I was also able to make a cable similar by harvesting from a monoprice cable.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #11,630 of 16,306
Finally got my Somic upgrades where I want them. HM5 pads, Cardas 4 X 24 wires, micro paracord sleeving, Imperial Red, and custom Macassar Ebony 1/4" plug and Y split! Imperial Red is matched to the red pleather, I had velour pads that fit perfectly, and also matched the Imperial Red Paracord, but sound was not balanced with them without EQ or further mods. With the Cardas wire, the sound had better bass and highs, matched very well with the Somic drivers. Also, changed from single entry to double entry, that made a huge difference. The original cable was very fine, the Cardas wire is 24 gauge! No more mods needed here, the Somic's sound fantastic!

Pictures don't really depict the Imperial Red, the red is actually darker red than shown, picture is too orange!

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #11,631 of 16,306
Quote:
Finally got my Somic upgrades where I want them. HM5 pads, Cardas 4 X 24 wires, micro paracord sleeving, Imperial Red, and custom Macassar Ebony 1/4" plug and Y split! Imperial Red is matched to the red pleather, I had velour pads that fit perfectly, and also matched the Imperial Red Paracord, but sound was not balanced with them without EQ or further mods. With the Cardas wire, the sound had better bass and highs, matched very well with the Somic drivers. Also, changed from single entry to double entry, that made a huge difference. The original cable was very fine, the Cardas wire is 24 gauge! No more mods needed here, the Somic's sound fantastic!

Pictures don't really depict the Imperial Red, the red is actually darker red than shown, picture is too orange!

Awesome work!  Love the wood.  

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #11,633 of 16,306
Nice job on the Momentums and Somic's!

Here is a little shorty IC I threw together...

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #11,637 of 16,306
My 2nd Toxic cables IEM cable I've made, OCC copper with toxic cables y-split and Pailiccs Jack, also a little 3.5 male to 6.3 female for my O2 amp:

Also would there be any difference if I used Silver for signal and Copper for ground rather than Silver for both signal and ground? Thanks

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #11,638 of 16,306
Quote:
My 2nd Toxic cables IEM cable I've made, OCC copper with toxic cables y-split and Pailiccs Jack, also a little 3.5 male to 6.3 female for my O2 amp:

Also would there be any difference if I used Silver for signal and Copper for ground rather than Silver for both signal and ground? Thanks

How is the weight of the Y split for an IEM cable?

Well, the colors and the price would be different :)  I don't think it would matter much in this scenario from a technical standpoint.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #11,639 of 16,306
Different in appearance? Yes.

Different in sound? That's best asked in the cables forum or sound science forum, depending on your inclination. :) Discussions of cable sound have led to arguments and mod deletions here, so it's usually a better idea to keep this discussion about how to build things what you built. Preferably with plenty of photos...

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #11,640 of 16,306
It's actually surprisingly light and does not weigh the cable down, i was really suprised as i though it would be heavy and get in the way. I used to use old jack housings filled with hot glue which are actually quite heavy. I like the toxic Y-split and will use them in the future i think

Thanks, i think the colours would look good together, as i have a spare 10ft of copper, and when i get some money i will get 9ft of silver, and save some money by using copper for ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back