DIY Cable Gallery!!
Nov 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #10,486 of 16,317
If you are up for it, and are trying to a complete conversion, then cracking open the case and removing the plugs altogether is a good idea.  Less complexity, fewer joints that could break over time.  

And like Ardgedee said, you might as well go all the way.

Cheers Luke, Ardgedee and Fraggler. That advice is well recieved. I'll probably go all the way.

Alas, no more.. I've digressed to much.

Back to the cables :D

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #10,487 of 16,317
Did this today. Koss DJ100, girlfriend braided Mogami W2534 wire, I did the rest. Had some problems with Neutrik plug, first time I've used an angle one;

Sorry for crappy phone pic.

Looks good enough for me :)

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #10,488 of 16,317
Quote:
Did this today. Koss DJ100, girlfriend braided Mogami W2534 wire, I did the rest. Had some problems with Neutrik plug, first time I've used an angle one;

Sorry for crappy phone pic.

Looks good enough for me :)

I like the 4 colors together.  Usually most people pick one or two colors.  Nice job.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #10,489 of 16,317
I need to make and sleeve a DC power umbilical to go between a DIY amp power supply and a DIY amp (16 wires, 18ga each, 22 inches in length).  What's a high quality flexible product to use for this application and I where should I buy it?  Some of the cheap "techflex" I've seen is stiff and ugly and I want to avoid that.

Also, any tips on twising or braiding the wiring to keep it as managable as possible?

BK

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #10,491 of 16,317
Quote:
would normal paracord have "cotton" like feel to them? I just got my bitspower super tight sleeve, and it's too stiff. I would prefer to have linen soft sleeves.

The paracords that I have used (mostly micro) have a smoother feel than cotton, but not softer if that makes any sense.  They are basically made out of a nylon multifilament braid.  Not quite silky, or soft, but definitely better than any PET or other plasticky sleeve.  

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #10,492 of 16,317
Quote:
The paracords that I have used (mostly micro) have a smoother feel than cotton, but not softer if that makes any sense.  They are basically made out of a nylon multifilament braid.  Not quite silky, or soft, but definitely better than any PET or other plasticky sleeve.  

Hi Fraggler, any ideas where we can get them from (besides Amazon).. have been looking on ebay for Type 1 but havent found any as yet.

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #10,493 of 16,317
Quote:
Hi Fraggler, any ideas where we can get them from (besides Amazon).. have been looking on ebay for Type 1 but havent found any as yet.

http://www.itstactical.com/store/its-accessory-paracord-type-i/

http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/hiking-and-camping-gear/cordage-tape-and-accessories/type-1-paracord-mil-c-5040.html

http://www.takknife.com/training_knives_00003e.htm

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #10,495 of 16,317
My first attempt with making cable upgrade for AKG with mini-XLR termination (Neutrik/REAN mini-XLR).
Nylon multifilament + a bit of MDPC-x sleeving, Mogami W2893 inside, custom-made barrel made of two types of wood.

That Viablue 3.5mm plug is a nightmare to solder, so small pins inside and no grip at all. Indeed, premium exterior, horrible interior. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #10,496 of 16,317
Love the bead!  I agree on the ViaBlue as well... it is easier now... with my new soldering station... but still a little bit of a pain.  I need to make an extension for my CIEMS so that I can plug them into the stereo.... maybe I'll use W2893.  It's inexpensive enough.... I don't want to spend the $$$ on 40ft of SPC, even if I did build my CIEM cable out of SPC.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #10,499 of 16,317
Quote:
Not quite up to the standards of this thread, but I'm content, for now at least.

HD25-1 refitted with an HD650 cable.

Love it.  Very neat wrapping.  Gorgeous picture.  Goodness I miss my HD25-1's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back