DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 29, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #7,036 of 16,309
1/2 must be huge. thanks for the image Parrots. 
beerchug.gif

edit: is it my imagination or the 3/16 and 1/4 looks the same?

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #7,037 of 16,309

Quote:
is the paracord like a shoelace?

Just like a shoelace. Except very cheap and easy to buy in quantity. I used some for the portion of my cable after the Y split, it works great once you remove the cord from the inside.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #7,038 of 16,309

Quote:
The easier way to get the nylon covering is to get paracord on the bay and strip out the cord on the inside. Cheap and effective if you don't want to deal with TechFlex or something similar.

How hard is it to strip out the inside cord? I'm not even sure where to find that kind of thing locally, any ideas? I may try a local Sports Authority.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #7,039 of 16,309
Its easy to find online. The bay will provide tons of solutions

Any its even easier to pull the strands out. They basically float inside the nylon jacket. All you have to do is cut to length and pull on on side and the strands (usually several) will pull right out leaving you a nice hollow nylon shell to refill with cables of your choice.

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #7,041 of 16,309

Quote:
How hard is it to strip out the inside cord? I'm not even sure where to find that kind of thing locally, any ideas? I may try a local Sports Authority.

Locally you'd probably be better off at an army surplus store.

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #7,042 of 16,309
Jul 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #7,043 of 16,309

Quote:

Locally you'd probably be better off at an army surplus store.

Good call on that! I did a quick search at a local store's website and found some pretty cheap
http://www.topbrassmilitary.com/Tru-Spec/Field-Equipment/Rope-Cordage/010-088-7-Strand-550-Paracord-50?keyword=paracord

Is this what I would be looking for? Is there a standard size/thickness for paracord?

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #7,044 of 16,309
I just figured a standard 7strand 550lb paracord is 5/32" thick, which should be a good fit for 24awg 4conductor litz braid. I will try this out to confirm though.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #7,045 of 16,309
bored at work, so I made some cables I had been thinking about making.

two pieces of 75 ohm coax each, using only the center conductor from each coax for a connection, shields are not connected.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #7,047 of 16,309

Quote:
whats the purpose of not connecting the shields?
thanks

Even when not connected they should still shield the cable from RF and EMI radiation (foil and braided shield in the cables).  It's like doing a balanced cable and not connecting the shield on either end.  Will there be some sonic benefit to this?  Who knows, I made these cables more for fun than anything, if they sound better (in this case I'd be looking for more noise rejection than a standard twisted pair cable) then cool, if not, they'll go in my pile of whacky cables I've made, right next to the rca's made with 14 gauge twisted pair, and the RCA I made with a piece of 22 gauge as the signal wire and a piece of copper tubing as the shield wire.  I also sort of stole this idea from that company Less Loss, who makes a balanced cable in this manner, I just wanted to see what it would do....

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #7,048 of 16,309
Hey Now,

Been trying my hand at DIY cables, mostly cheap and re-purposed stuff to get a feel for it. Lately I have been intrigued with CAT6 ethernet cable. This is a 3-pin XLR extension to 4-pin XLR made with 16 28awg CAT6 wires. 4 per. The ethernet  comes in 4 twisted pairs after stripping the sheath, I doubled this up. Used a electric drill to twist 2 pairs each, then twisted the 4 pairs all together for 16 wires total. Covered in 1/4' Techflex and Neutrik plugs for about 10 feet. The 14' CAT6 cables were under 10 bucks at Monoprice. Cheap practice and they sound okay for cheap pure copper wire.

The left over 2' of 16 strand twisted 28awg wires were used to make this right angle Neutrik to 4-pin XLR female for the Crack:

A re-purposed Denon AH-D2000 cable with RCA plugs and a Canare F12 mini:

Another re-purposed bit, the 1/4" plug from my K601 which I thought I might be able to balance, but it is not the same as the K701 as the online schematics shows 8^:)

Both 1/8" female minis from Rat Shack, with a DHC 1/4" TRS plug.

Here is a split of an oem Fostex T40v1 cable. It was too long so I split it, the female 1/8" mini is from Moon Audio, nice metal compared to the Rat Shack plastic. The 1/8" male mini is from Rat Shack and is the gold plated one with nice strain relief.

A couple of right angle plugs. The epoxied one is an old Switchcraft one and an old Rean, just the plugs.

I use the epoxied right angle plug on this unit:

One my first DIY project, a Rat Shack RCA to Rean mini:

I think I may be ready to make some better cables now. Soldering skills are getting better with each cable I make. 

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #7,049 of 16,309
what kind of rca plugs are those on your repurposed AH-D2000 cable?

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #7,050 of 16,309
Thanks to this thread and Joelby's step by step guide, I finally rewired my ESW9s.

Audio Technica ESW9
yellow Mogami mic cable
yellow shoe string
Switchcraft right angle

This was my first cable (I've only soldered one other thing in my life) and I was a little nervous opening up my woodies, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The Y/split could be cleaner and I originally planned on using the shoe string over the entire cable but it wouldn't quite stretch enough. I like the way the Mogami covering looks well enough that it doesn't bother me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back