DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 22, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #5,071 of 16,312
FraGGleR, that black and silver combo is pretty neat. Yeah it does make it look a little bulky though but hey it looks awesome.

momomo6789, another question in regards to your rca cables. That silver wire looks a lot thicker though but hey I believe you its just my eyes and the early morning playing tricks on me.

-Do rca cables only need three wires? or is there four on each cable?

I would like to add I have no idea about making rca cables, and thus I would consult a separate thread for in depth explanations, I just wanted to ask this quick question.

Thanks. That's neat how you braided that copper on top of the silver. I wonder if the braid stays nice together or if over time bunches up or messes up. I guess it stays in place.

Nice job to both of you, I am jealous. Been ordering supplies recently so when I get back in town from my business trip I will have some projects in front of me
smily_headphones1.gif

austin

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #5,073 of 16,312
Wow the no flash picture it is really snazzy. Those connectors look real nice too, looks like the say oyio...something on them. Either way I usually don't like the polished metal look too much, but those look nice.

Thanks for the info on the rca, so was the two copper strands for grounds and the other silver strand was for your signal?

austin

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #5,074 of 16,312
Quote:

agreed on viablue; highly overrated IMO

really?
I think they're overpriced, but IO haven't really seen them hyped much. (not saying it didn't happen, of course, just that I missed it.)
I got three, and they are REALLY easy to solder, and I have no idea how the ground tab could snap off. It's like, 1/10 of an inch thick or something.
And I actually love the strain relief. it has much less wiggle than any other I've used. (I was using sleeved l4e6s though, so that probably made it really tight. But you could still wrap any cable in some tape of something to get the same tightness.)

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #5,076 of 16,312
I recently recabled my HD238 to use in my portable setup. It features a 4 foot recable using a tri-braid of Cardas 21 gauge wire in teflon, sleeved with nylon multifilament. Termination is the Ultralink 2.0.

HD238-Recable.jpg

It's really cramped on the inside of the headphone. I had to use adhesive rather than a zip tie to secure the cable inside, and had to remove one of the screw mounts completely to accommodate the larger wire. There's a small circuit board on the inside of the headphone that splits the ground which was removed as well.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #5,078 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by eertelppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow the no flash picture it is really snazzy. Those connectors look real nice too, looks like the say oyio...something on them.

I believe those are Oyaide connectors. Oyaide's a fairly high end supplier in Japan. Looks very nice Momomo.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #5,081 of 16,312
As always from the father of this thread, very nice, clean work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently recabled my HD238 to use in my portable setup. It features a 4 foot recable using a tri-braid of Cardas 21 gauge wire in teflon, sleeved with nylon multifilament. Termination is the Ultralink 2.0.

It's really cramped on the inside of the headphone. I had to use adhesive rather than a zip tie to secure the cable inside, and had to remove one of the screw mounts completely to accommodate the larger wire. There's a small circuit board on the inside of the headphone that splits the ground which was removed as well.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #5,084 of 16,312
I hope this is the right place to post. srh840 is my first can and this is the first headphone I've recable because I want to use non-coil cable sometime. also a fun thing to do. I also made a 3.5mm interconnect for it did not make it a balanced mod because I don't have nor in near future have balanced equipment. I just want to use 3.5mm cable

P1050540.JPG

ALO 24 awg silver plated cable replaced all the internal cable. 2.5mm socket is replaced with neutrick 3.5 gold plated jack.
P1050541.JPG

Here is my first handmade interconnect made of Mogami 2534 and Netrick 3.5mm connected to the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back