DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 20, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #33 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
how do you guys shield your cables?

Most of mine are unshielded, although Techflex considers their chrome line shielding, so I suppose that would count
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #34 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
how do you guys shield your cables?

when i build mine, i don't take the cable out of the original, ie star quad, there is some shielding there.

Jun 23, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #35 of 16,305
Balanced cables sound better without shielding. If you have so much interference that you need to shield even balanced cables, at least space the shield as far from the signal cables as can be practically done.

Jun 24, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #37 of 16,305
[size=large]TRS EXTENSION CABLE[/size]
Wire: Canare
Config: Star Quad
Termination: Neutrik NP3C-B TRS Plug, Neutrik NJ3FC6 TRS Jack
Length: 6 Foot
Extension.jpg

[size=large]ANOTHER MINI TO MINI[/size]
Wire: Canare
Config: Star Quad
Termination: Canare F-12 Mini Plugs
Length: 1.5 Foot
MiniStar.jpg

Jun 27, 2004 at 9:54 AM Post #39 of 16,305
this thread has inspired me.....i am a textile major and here at school we have machines used by the medical textiles folks and the machines are used for making artificial arteries and veins......

plus we got a ton of kevlar (aramid) yarn around...... i wonder if they would let me hook up their woven artery machine up with kevlar in order to make some sweet sleeves for interconnects.....

the machine that makes those is awesome... it basically makes all the weft from just one yarn by spiraling it around and all the warp yarns run the length of the tube......

Jul 2, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #41 of 16,305
I didn't like the cable or the power supply that came with my Sennheiser Lucas so I built my own adapter and battery power supply. Wiring for the adapter is Kimber and the RCA jacks are WBT. Movies sound much better now!

sennheiser_amp.jpg

Jul 2, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #42 of 16,305
Wow! Talk about some overbuilt cables. You all like your bling.

Here are mine made from 16 ga. MIL-W-16878/4 with Switchcraft 1502 short-body connectors. Simply effective, but not nearly as nice as my 10 ga. variety. I estimate the total cost for the pair to be about $8. It hurts to know how much of a rip-off the commerical cables are!

cables.jpg

NGF

Jul 3, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #43 of 16,305
you know what hurts even more??? commercial cables are all hype and looks. Up to the 20.00 ones there is some performance increase after that the cost is 98% marketing and 2% performance.
frown.gif

Jul 3, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #44 of 16,305
My blumenco BOG / Other site I can't remember inspired interconnects...

Single twisted pair of cat5 wrapped in teflon / aluminum foil shield (that's right, the kind that you wrap food in) w/ cheapy rat-shack RCAs ($3.99 for 3 pairs...). IMO, they sound more transparent than my canare star quad cables.

Interconnects.jpg

Interconnect_Construction.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back