DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #4,413 of 16,305
All materials bought from local store,

6.3mm female - 3.5mm male adapter
- expandable 1/4" techflex
- no brand decent quality plugs
- heat shrink
- cardas solder

XLR female - 6.3mm male adapter (Balanced - unbalanced replacement for my Cardas balanced cable)
- expandable 1/4 techflex
- no brand decent quality 6.3mm gold plug
- Neutrik female NC*FX plugs
- heat shrink various sizes
- cardas solder

both using 4 core wiring - 18 guage by coleman cable. (what my locale DIY store carried) I bit stiffer than Cardas but sounds really good - still breaking them in. Not fancy - but much better than store bought.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #4,414 of 16,305
A friend needed a switch box so I did some scrounging around to see what I could find for spare parts. An hour or so later and we had this:

114161680.jpg

114161681.jpg

It's a 3:1 design with a common ground (unswitched). The switch and knob are from Mouser, the chassis from Ebay and the RCA's are from Headamp's DIY Store. Total construction cost was ~$70 or so, not bad.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #4,416 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks great Nate! Pretty darn good for $70 in parts.

Now if I'd only posted in the correct thread. :doh:

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #4,418 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol. I'm sure you're still welcome here in the future
wink.gif

Obligatory cable pic: simple RCA-RCA using Neotech UPOCC in PVC w/ Neutrik RCAs. Cheap, easy on the eyes and sounds great. I loaned out my spare pair of RCA cables and of course needed another pair less than a week later...

112024665.jpg

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #4,419 of 16,305
my latest mini-minis.
Sorry I didn't embed, but my browser crashed whenever I tried.

they work great. I left the first part of the plug left uncovered with heatshrink, so if could fit easily into the small jack holes, but it doubled as making an excellent handle.

I also made two other mini-minis, and two mini-rcas, but they're all kind of in use right now. And I really can't see why anybody would ever use switchcraft over neutrik plugs. The look better, are smaller, cheaper, and easier to solder.
Is there a reason I'm just not seeing?

and n_maher, where'd ya get your neotech from?

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #4,422 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my latest mini-minis.
Sorry I didn't embed, but my browser crashed whenever I tried.

they work great. I left the first part of the plug left uncovered with heatshrink, so if could fit easily into the small jack holes, but it doubled as making an excellent handle.

I also made two other mini-minis, and two mini-rcas, but they're all kind of in use right now. And I really can't see why anybody would ever use switchcraft over neutrik plugs. The look better, are smaller, cheaper, and easier to solder.
Is there a reason I'm just not seeing?

the reasons for me are numerous. out of the neutriks I have bought (maybe 20) there have been 4 that were faulty (intermittent connection measured with a DMM even before I touched them) the build quality is nowhere near as rugged or attractive IMO. and they have to be drilled out to fit many wires. oh and they (switchcraft) are actually really easy to use once you have the technique down.

partsexpress has a good range of neotech wires. great stuff actually. some of the cheapest UPOCC I know of and they have a good range of gauges. their UPOCC silver is really nice too.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #4,423 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
partsexpress has a good range of neotech wires. great stuff actually. some of the cheapest UPOCC I know of and they have a good range of gauges. their UPOCC silver is really nice too.

I think you mean parts connexion. Takefiveaudio has a good range as well.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #4,424 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Almost all of it comes from TakeFive. In the past I've used SonicCraft as well but they have been less responsive than I would expect lately. They used to be great.
frown.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #4,425 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProFingerSk8er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 foot silver IC
24gaug 99.99% silver wire

IC2.jpg

parts_2.jpg

teflex_black2.jpg

^picture taken with techflex, final IC covered in nylon
plastic_vs_nylone.jpg

IC3.jpg

any chance of part # and webstore for identical build?

gychang

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back