DIY Cable Gallery!!
Nov 15, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #3,391 of 16,312
Here's a couple of miscellaneous DIY cables that I just had a chance to take pics of:

Speaker-Cables.jpg

6 foot speaker cables:
Made from low-strand 10 gauge silver plated copper in teflon, the jacket is cotton reinforced hosing covered in black tech-flex, and the exposed cable next to the connectors is carbon reflex. The bananas are Analysis Plus, and the spades are Cardas IIRC.

Oyaide-RCAs.jpg

Oyaide short RCA Cables:
A cute pair of short RCA cables made from Oyaide wire from Japan and Cardas silver plated RCAs.

TCSS-Headphone-Cable.jpg

Headphone cable made from Kimber TCSS wire:
A braided litz of clear Kimber TCSS wire, 10 feet long. Terminated with a Neutrik NP3C-B TRS. Area's leading up to headphones are covered with Nylon multifilament. Not sure which headphones it'll be going on, maybe the Denons...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #3,395 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really nice!
bigsmile_face.gif

Just the braiding work alone is worth a big hands up!

SNIP
[/QUOTE]

Excellent looking cables, any chance of a pictorial for those speaker cables?

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #3,396 of 16,312
pics is on page340
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #3,397 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is on the stiffer side, probably a shorter cable (~4 feet) could be annoying, but with 10 feet, it doesn't seem too bad.

Look like it'll be better to make interconnects with it.
And does it oxidize? Most of my Vampire and Jena cables turned green after 2 months using
frown.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #3,398 of 16,312
CUSTOM MADE SILVER INTERCONNECTS - 3/4 METER PAIR

Here's my custom made Silver interconnects. I know some of you will say something about the electrical tape on my cables, but it is only temporary until I get a heat gun. Then There will be shrink tubing on my cables.

COMPONENTS:

1) HGA "LOK" Silver RCA plugs
2) 99.9% stranded Silver wire (with Teflon coating and Silver braid for shielding)
3) Blue rubber aquarium tubing, mainly for added durability/rigidity
4) Black nylon braiding, for protection/rigidity/aesthetics

These cables sound so awesome to me. Man tons a clarity and fidelity. I would never have thought that upgrading my connectors would result in such a sonic improvement. I'm going to add some ferrite cores to this set-up. Thyen I'll be done.

EDIT 1: I'd like to add that the solder I use is made by Cardas and is Silver. I also treat all solder connections with flux.

EDIT 2: Also, before I hook them up, I put on some SilCare Silver paste. Then my set-up is rocking!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #3,399 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And does it oxidize? Most of my Vampire and Jena cables turned green after 2 months using
frown.gif

Don't think so, I've had some scrap pieces sitting in my wire chest for a few months, haven't noticed any greening.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #3,402 of 16,312
Highflyin9,

Sorry of my comment came off wrong. It should be fine if you are using it at home (Which I assume since it is a 10ft cable
biggrin.gif
). I have just become a fan of very flexible cabling.

Lil Knight,

You might want to use some sealant on the cable connections. An easy solution would be some rubber cement painted over it - or epoxy. It is just to prevent oxidation that you may be noticing causing the green. I have a few Vampire cables that my friend and I made in May and we sealed the connections, and none of them are green.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #3,403 of 16,312
My piece of cr... of wire
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #3,405 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lil Knight,

You might want to use some sealant on the cable connections. An easy solution would be some rubber cement painted over it - or epoxy. It is just to prevent oxidation that you may be noticing causing the green. I have a few Vampire cables that my friend and I made in May and we sealed the connections, and none of them are green.

That's a nice tip! I personally use some small heatshrink to cover to solder joints. Look like I'll try some epoxy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back