Dive deeper into legendary sound. Let’s meet the HD 660S2
Feb 10, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #106 of 181
are we now acting like the HD600 series doesn't sound good out of the box? LOL Cmon! the exact opposite, in fact the HD580 is probably the headphone which started this whole hobby, its the benchmark and has always been the reference, the headphone which has stood the test of time and is even currently one of the favourite headphone of all popular reviewers, even no matter which year. we have listened to it so much that we became picky of even the slightest potential improvement. namely the bass but anyone who says the hd600 series doesn't sound good out of the box probably has cauliflower ears like a ufc fighter or is an absolute fool sorry to say.

No!

I have an HD660S and I don’t EQ it. This is just all hypothetical. I was responding to the idea that EQ is needed to fix certain headphones’ problems. And to me, that’s BS. If it has “problems” out of the box, then it’s a crap headphone, and I don’t feel that way about any Sennheiser I’ve owned.

Feb 10, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #107 of 181
That said, I'd give an arm, leg and a moustache for an HD700 successor with the V2 treatment, and in a 300ohm or 600ohm variant... perhaps @ericpalonen could say whether something like this is a hopeless dream?
In terms of sound staging and dynamics the HD700 was IMHO the perfect missing link between the HD650 and HD800. Comfort and aesthetics was A1 and overall a beautifully designed phone from the ground up and I am saddened by its initial reception as with further development it would have been a classic. Now an all matte black with V2 treatment successor......yep guess we can only dream. ahhhh. :triportsad:

Feb 10, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #108 of 181
On the more "philosophical" side, we all need to remember that in most desktop hifi setups we are equalizing the signal not the headphone,.......
So true, the headphone is never modified just the signal being feed to it....
I'm old school so have never had a "desk top hifi" per se so have no means of applying EQ, closest I'm to digital is using a streamer for Tidal etc but even that is a stand alone source, no PCs involved.
So basically after more than 50 years in the hobby still no EQ. lol

Feb 10, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #109 of 181
@ericpalonen Speaking of evolution of drivers, my old HD-580 Precision have been for long in the hands of a relative and I think they need new drivers (diaphragms were pressed in the middle and stayed disfigured for too long). Should I ask for the original drivers (if still available) or for the drivers of a certain model up in the HD 6### family? Maybe they can accept a subsequent driver and sound even better? I would like to keep them working after 27 years! (They work as they are anyway).
@ericpalonen I am sorry if this is a too specific/technical question to be asked here, maybe it has to be investigated further.

Feb 10, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #110 of 181
@ericpalonen I am sorry if this is a too specific/technical question to be asked here, maybe it has to be investigated further.
Sorry! With the launch my notifications have been going crazy and this one slipped through.

I don't believe replacement drivers are still available for the 580 but the 600 is the next closest relative.

If you are married to the 580 sound I would first check the used market, which would keep the original charm of the headphones closer to intact.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 10, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #111 of 181
are we now acting like the HD600 series doesn't sound good out of the box? LOL Cmon! the exact opposite, in fact the HD580 is probably the headphone which kick started this whole hobby, its the benchmark and has always been the reference, an audio product which has stood the test of time like no other and is even currently one of the favourite headphone of all popular reviewers, even no matter which year. we have listened to it so much that we became picky of even the slightest potential improvement. namely more bass (which might be a passing trend) but anyone who says the hd600 series has never sounded good out of the box probably has cauliflower ears like a ufc fighter or is an absolute fool sorry to say.
Disagree. Everyone has preferences and if they don't prefer the HD600, that's fine. I disagree with them, but to assume that your preferences should be everyone else's is kind of arrogant. No offense.

Feb 10, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #113 of 181
I'm old school so have never had a "desk top hifi" per se
Closest I get to "Desk Top". : )
reclined.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #115 of 181
if you prefer a bluetooth speaker rather than a live performance that's on you
In terms of sound staging and dynamics the HD700 was IMHO the perfect missing link between the HD650 and HD800. Comfort and aesthetics was A1 and overall a beautifully designed phone from the ground up and I am saddened by its initial reception as with further development it would have been a classic. Now an all matte black with V2 treatment successor......yep guess we can only dream. ahhhh. :triportsad:
It was an under appreciated headphone. I think people were expecting 95% of the HD800 and it wasn’t even the same driver. It had a sound of it’s own that didn’t stray from the typical ‘quick yet relaxed’ Sennheiser signature.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #116 of 181
It was an under appreciated headphone. I think people were expecting 95% of the HD800 and it wasn’t even the same driver. It had a sound of it’s own that didn’t stray from the typical ‘quick yet relaxed’ Sennheiser signature.
And it very clearly shows you problems in your chain, which could potentially explain some of the negative experiences. I certainly had to start problem solving with them; problems that my other headphones had completly masked

Feb 10, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #117 of 181
And it very clearly shows you problems in your chain, which could potentially explain some of the negative experiences. I certainly had to start problem solving with them; problems that my other headphones had completly masked

The HD660S2 does appear to be a very capable phone and I'm waiting in anticipation, haven't quite felt like that since the delivery of my HD700 almost 13 years ago.

Now I know most people on these forums stick their nose up on Amazon reviews, they shouldn't, but the HD700 did receive more than a 77% positive ratings, 285 positive to 32 negative.. And many of the critical views just quoted from the few negative reviewers, sad but true.
The HD700 should not have been compared to the HD600/650, it was not what it was all about having IMHO a completely different sound and approach to an aural presentation ..again apples to oranges.
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-H...ll_reviews&filterByStar=positive&pageNumber=1

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #118 of 181
If you are married to the 580 sound I would first check the used market, which would keep the original charm of the headphones closer to intact.
Thank you for your answer!
You are right! I am married to Sennheiser (in spite of my "infidelity" with Neumann, and I want to keep all my Sennheiser headphones in use). That's why I shall keep following every new significant product of Sennheiser waiting for its next reference model with a sophisticated, exquisitely balanced sound (not "fun" but full none the less) - and affordable too! I prefer all "fun" to be decided in the recording and mastering stage and then be expressed by a very accurate headphone! Not that this is always possible, so a headphone with more energetic tuning is necessary too.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #119 of 181
Thank you for your answer!
You are right! I am married to Sennheiser (in spite of my "infidelity" with Neumann, and I want to keep all my Sennheiser headphones in use). That's why I shall keep following every new significant product of Sennheiser waiting for its next reference model with a sophisticated, exquisitely balanced sound (not "fun" but full none the less) - and affordable too! I prefer all "fun" to be decided in the recording and mastering stage and then be expressed by a very accurate headphone! Not that this is always possible, so a headphone with more energetic tuning is necessary too.
We love you right back!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back