Dive deeper into legendary sound. Let’s meet the HD 660S2
Feb 12, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #167 of 181
To be honest I never believed that Sonarworks graph and I always maintained that the 660S had less bass than the 650 (even though it was faster cleaner and more detailed), even when the consensus was that it had more bass (see links below). My point was only that the general ’online’ opinion seems to have shifted from thinking that the 660S has more bass than the 650 to thinking that it has less, in light of the new 660S2 which it is reported will have more bass than the 660S. However, @headstef has made a good point about the relative balance of the bass compared to other frequencies which can lead to the impression that there is more.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...-successor-for-the-hd650.862308/post-17176919

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...-successor-for-the-hd650.862308/post-17176996

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #168 of 181
To be honest I never believed that Sonarworks graph and I always maintained that the 660S had less bass than the 650 (even though it was faster cleaner and more detailed), even when the consensus was that it had more bass (see links below). ...........
Now I do have a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt but always felt the HD660S have more base but a logical explanation is that due to their cleaner, less distortion and better faster dynamic delivery I could be just listening to them at a slightly higher volume which obviously raises the base ......just saying. : )
Oddly having owned the HD650 multiple times I just don't recall the base except in terms of being muddy and ill defined, and yes they were driven adequately and was nothing to write home about. : )

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #169 of 181
Now I do have a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt but always felt the HD660S have more base but a logical explanation is that due to their cleaner, less distortion and better faster dynamic delivery I could be just listening to them at a slightly higher volume which obviously raises the base ......just saying. : )
Oddly having owned the HD650 multiple times I just don't recall the base except in terms of being muddy and ill defined, and yes they were driven adequately and was nothing to write home about. : )
I think we must have read all of each other’s posts on the 660S thread so there’s probably nothing much to add, but one important factor in that discussion was volume matching, and also perceived volume matching. I won’t rehash all that here, and as I said headstef made one of the points a few posts ago here, but I can easily see why and how anyone could think that the 660S has more bass than the 650 when in fact when properly volume matched (as opposed to perceived volume matched) it has less.

However, the point now is that some popular opinion seems to have shifted with regard to how much bass the 660S has relative to the 650 with the mere anticipation that the 660S2 will finally fix the lack of bass problems of the six series, and of the 660S in particular.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #170 of 181
.......one important factor in that discussion was volume matching, and also perceived volume matching.......
Never did have the 650 and 660 simultaneously on hand.....bottom line though is that I do prefer the 660 base delivery overall so if the S2 does indeed add a bit of sub base and impact and my main reason I'm waiting on their delivery, then all's good. If not not I may again reconsider the NDH-30s. : )

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #171 of 181
Never did have the 650 and 660 simultaneously on hand.....bottom line though is that I do prefer the 660 base delivery overall so if the S2 does indeed add a bit of sub base and impact and my main reason I'm waiting on their delivery, then all's good.
You still have your 660S though, right? Hoping that you will be able to give your comparative impressions! Having often read your posts I trust your ears more than most here! 😉

Feb 12, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #172 of 181
You still have your 660S though, right? Hoping that you will be able to give your comparative impressions! Having often read your posts I trust your ears more than most here! 😉
I do, they're listed for sale but no takers yet..also I require the longer cable of the 660S as all my headphone listening is usually in a reclined position, either on the sofa or in the BR so may hold onto them to do a cable swap.
As mentioned a few times my music interests are not vocal-centric, important to keep that in mind as I'm not enamoured as most by the 600/650 legendary midrange so cherished for it's vocal delivery, so no fear of losing it.
Obviously I need to do my own comparisons but so far early impressions coming in is that the S2 should improve on the 660S for my music preferences.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #175 of 181
And now it's "I did" as in past tense...they've now gone off to a new home...at least I still have my infallible "audio" memory. 🦻 lol
Ι would have been tempted to keep both models for some time until their relative merits become clear. How can you compare them now? Audio memory can play tricks!

Feb 12, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #176 of 181
Ι would have been tempted to keep both models for some time until their relative merits become clear. How can you compare them now? Audio memory can play tricks!
Too be honest it's not a big deal, as I mentioned earlier I find it best to have a new piece of equipment stand on its own. Comparing can sometimes drive me around the bend where eventually they all sound the same, "Audio memory can play tricks" lol
What is important... is that I find the reproduction of sound satisfying, is there is anything that annoyingly sticks out, missing, harsh, too subtle, bass and treble extension, air, staging, depth, etc...am I paying more attention to the pyrotechnics instead of the music or has my interest waned completely, not to mention comfort and fit. If I find I'm eagerly awaiting for another track or album then regardless of how the new piece of equipment stands up it is serving it's intended purpose, musical enjoyment. : )
The HD660S could do with a bit of base extension so the S2 will still have my HD630VB as a comparison.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #177 of 181
He didn't criticize that, he said:

"...I feel that they really haven’t brought anything new and ground breaking to the market since the HD800"

I mean if the HE 1 doesn't check both of those boxes with a hammer, what does around these parts?!?
Well, HE-1 is an equivalent to an small apartment in my country. And I doubt 1 kidney, a slice of liver would suffice to finance this miracle of a headphone.

On another note, recently got my hands on HD800s (HD600 was my gateway drug into this neighborhood) and without heavy EQ it's hard to listen to. Bright, with anemic bass, overthrows that wonderful instrument separation, layering, detail retrieval and expansive sound stage. Plus the ergonomics on bigger heads like mine are on the border of comfort. The pads don't seal very well around my ears. Given the price of this legendary headphone I have a love & hate relationship with HD800s and I decided to sell them.

I do hope for some redemption on your side with HD660s2 and possibly a successor to HD800s (rework the headphone design too please) in the future.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #179 of 181
Here is my review of the HD 660S2:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-hd-660s2.26337/reviews

What a joy to write about this Headphone. Sennheiser nailed it. It has the 600 and 650 lineage but it has its own excellent qualities that I think will make it a classic over time just like the 600 and 650 have become.

I hope the read in enjoying and informative for you.

What a joy to write about this Headphone. Sennheiser nailed it. It has the 600 and 650 lineage but it has its own excellent qualities that I think will make it a classic over time just like the 600 and 650 have become.

IMG_0988.jpg

Feb 17, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #180 of 181
Here is my review of the HD 660S2:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-hd-660s2.26337/reviews

IMG_0988.jpg
...This was a blast to read! Thank you for making great efforts to tie it back to the music, which is what matters most.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back