DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition).
May 16, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #1,426 of 1,451
Custom Eartips for Dita The Truth short review:

IMG_6807.jpg IMG_6808.jpg 32281371_1947902845222323_7775908744604418048_n.jpg IMG_6811.jpg

I came across a start-up specialized about CIEM in Hanoi (Vietnam) and they can do custom eartips so I gave it a try. I never tried CIEM before but those tips fit perfectly and there s no discomfort after long listening session.They can still fit when I chew, but when I lie down there seem to be some slight reduction in bass. The only downside is that it requires some patience to took the tips out of the housing but I dont think I will take them out too often. Isolation is very good too.

Here comes the important part:

-Initial sound impression with normal tips:
Previously I used the Spinfit Dual blade and the sound was amazing: Slightly V shape with high level of details. The mids are thin and dry with some emphasize on upper mids. Bass is plentiful when needed with both mid and sub bass, highs are sparkling (sometimes can be slightly too bright).
- With the Custom Tips:
First thing I notice is that the mids are now thicker, with the presence of lower mids, upper mids are smoother, too. Next, the hights are seems to lose some energy but still enough to sound energetic.
Bass is the confusing part, from what I can hear, the the custom tips slightly reduce the impact of the mid bass and also sub bass is only around 80% of the spinfit tips. Luckily, I never find the bass to be lacking in any songs. The biggest improvements must be the soundstage, seperation and level of details. With the Custom Eartips, the soundstage is on par with open-back headphones with more width than height. They sounds close to the HD 650s with the Schiit Fula combo that I tried few weeks ago.There's no improvements in the height of the sound. Sometimes, the vocal is overwhelmed by the instrumental.

In short, with the Custom Tips, the Truth does not sound V shape anymore, they sound really organic and enjoyable. Since I asked the guy and he said that The Ditas cannot reshell, the custom tips should be the biggest upgrade available. Highly recommended for the Truth owners.

Gear used: Ibasso Dx90 with Oppa Ha2

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #1,428 of 1,451
Hello guys, I would like to share some of my frustrating experiences with Dita. As an ordinary customer, I strongly suggest you do not buy from Dita or at least do not buy until you read what happened to me. About three years ago I bought the dita truth edition balanced edition that cost around 1300 dollars(back then they did not have the awesome plug thing yet). In less than a month, the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter stopped functioning. I thought it is probably just a faulty component, so I asked them to send me a new one and did not worry too much about it. The second one failed again six months later. I asked for another one. Then the third started to show the sign of loose connection several months later. By that time they already came out the awesome plug and priced it 200 dollars less than it used to be. I immediately realized that there must be some problems with the original design but the warranty had just passed so I could not do anything about it. So I bought a new adapter myself and tried to live with it. However, a couple of weeks ago, the Dita stopped functioning completely. This time it is nothing wrong with the adapter. It is the earphone itself! One side of my earphone has no sound at all. I have to send it Singapore for repair and pay the expensive shipping fee myself(another thing you should be aware of when you buy a foreign product) And this is what they told me: The 2.5mm connector failed and they have no way to fix it. They can send me a new one if I pay another $550 dollars. So I paid over 1000 dollars already and now I need to pay 549 dollars more to get an earphone that worth 1099 dollars. What is worse? If I decide to trade in, $350 is all they are willing to offer. So for an earphone, they asked for 1300 dollars for brand new, once it is used, they think it is only worth $350. For comparison, the average trading price of used earphones from other companies that cost 1000 dollars new is around 600 dollars on head-fi. Obviously, they know their products are extremely overpriced and cannot maintain the value well.

If I broke the earphone, like dropped or drained it in water, I would not complain at all. But the fact is that I did not do anything. Since it is such an expensive item, I put it in the protective case all day and use it while sitting in my bedroom. There is no way it can be exposed to any dangerous condition. In contrast, I have a 300 dollars Westone w20 for 5 years and it is completely trouble free even though I took it to gym three times a week. It has been dropped, pulled and exposed to other dangerous conditions, but it is never as fragile as this Dita truth. For a flagship earphone 4 times more expensive, I do not expect it to be 4 times as strong but it should at least have a normal reliability like any other cheap earphone. With their "innovative" plug, they certainly failed to deliver that.

I am sharing this story because I do not want anyone else to experience the same thing again. Be wise and do not be fooled by those awesome reviews. The reliability is one important factor to consider when you buy earphone this expensive. I am still at the stage of arguing with the company. If you have any advice on how to reduce my loss, feel free to pm me. Thanks for reading.

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #1,429 of 1,451
Seems like after the release of the new dual flagships, the following behind the Answer and Truth died down quite a bit. Their new flagships are way out of my range so recently copped a pair of Truths...

Now thinking of a source and amp to pair them with!

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #1,430 of 1,451

Totally Agree. My Dita Truth is just out of warrant and there right piece is almost silent. I contact them and they do not offer any repair at all. Instead they say they will exchange to a new pair and I need to pay 500$. I feel cheated. 1000$ and last for 1 year. What a joke! Bye bye this brand.
Don't buy any of their product guys

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #1,433 of 1,451
Offering a new unit at half price isn’t bad. I get you are annoyed but could be worst. I got a 1500 aud headphone dead in box from a manufacturer much bigger than Dita. My T5p died and Beyerdynamic couldn’t care less.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,434 of 1,451
I think that the deal isn't quite that bad. Not the best deal out there, but still, you can see it as an opportunity, you can keep your unit, maybe fix it locally, and also get a new one at half the price :)

Then you can keep yours as a spare in case anything goes wrong again :)

If the one sold at half the price comes with warranty, then things may work out nicely (?)

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #1,436 of 1,451
So happy. Found a new pair of Answer for about $250. Got my relative to buy a new Awesome Truth as well which was ~$530. Im trying to settle on tips though. The stock dont do much for me and it feels as if the Ditas are hard to drive as well.

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #1,437 of 1,451
For me, Truth is their best IEM to date, followed by Project 31. Man my dita truth took a beating and a half and still works. Sadly I lost my Dita Dream and I'm sad, but just like Dita fidelity, I could never get a good fit.
I hope they never replace Dita Truth, I got two of them just in case.

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #1,438 of 1,451
Greetings all. Daily Dita Truth user. I've begun to notice left channel has begun to cut out. I little wiggle at the point where cable enters into the plug seems to correct which makes me think I need to DIY some electrical tape to hold in place our try my hand at soldering.

Anyone have any experience taking the 1/8 pug apart? Please share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back