DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition).
Jul 16, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #736 of 1,451
Just finished modding my Dita Answers with a new plug.
I use an Apple iPhone 5 and have wrapped it in a Cleave Crystal bumper.
The trouble with the bumper is that it is very deep around the headphone socket and the Dita plug simply wouldn't fit. I had to use a short cable adaptor but I wasn't happy with the effect this had on the sound - it was subtle but still audible. I wanted to simplify the signal path but needed a plug with a 3-4mm stand off.

I purchased a Furutech plug and was in the process of fitting it when it decided to simply disintegrate. The tip just fell off the bronze rod inside and couldn't be pressed back on.

Rather than spend another AU$50 on another one, I found that Helix Cables' plug was very close in quality - bronze centre pole, etc, etc. So I grabbed a handful of them.
I've simply kept the Furutech barrel on as it matches the Dita Y junction and the ear plugs easthetically.

The little colour coded cables were gently sanded back to bare copper and soldered to the tabs with a Cu/Ag content solder. This was then strain relieved with hot melt glue and the plug's own crimp clamp.

Conductor colours;
Copper and green - earth
Blue - positive
Red - negative.

I used a test cd to check channel balance and de-engineered the Dita plug to check coding to ensure absolute polarity.

Some pics;

For those interested, the phone has a leather Draco skin in the back and the front is an SGP Glas Tr slim.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #739 of 1,451
  Just finished modding my Dita Answers with a new plug.
I use an Apple iPhone 5 and have wrapped it in a Cleave Crystal bumper.
The trouble with the bumper is that it is very deep around the headphone socket and the Dita plug simply wouldn't fit. I had to use a short cable adaptor but I wasn't happy with the effect this had on the sound - it was subtle but still audible. I wanted to simplify the signal path but needed a plug with a 3-4mm stand off.

I purchased a Furutech plug and was in the process of fitting it when it decided to simply disintegrate. The tip just fell off the bronze rod inside and couldn't be pressed back on.

Rather than spend another AU$50 on another one, I found that Helix Cables' plug was very close in quality - bronze centre pole, etc, etc. So I grabbed a handful of them.
I've simply kept the Furutech barrel on as it matches the Dita Y junction and the ear plugs easthetically.

The little colour coded cables were gently sanded back to bare copper and soldered to the tabs with a Cu/Ag content solder. This was then strain relieved with hot melt glue and the plug's own crimp clamp.

Conductor colours;
Copper and green - earth
Blue - positive
Red - negative.

I used a test cd to check channel balance and de-engineered the Dita plug to check coding to ensure absolute polarity.

Some pics;

For those interested, the phone has a leather Draco skin in the back and the front is an SGP Glas Tr slim.

The Furutech plug's barrel looks awesome! 
How did the Furutech plug disintegrated? Over heated?

I believe that its unlikely that dita will make BA earphones
smily_headphones1.gif

+1. Dynamic driver better matches their philosophy. But who knows in the future if they change their mind 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #741 of 1,451
Haha how are they staying silent? They released two new products at the start of the year, are releasing a new balanced truth, and are releasing the interconnect soon (which sounds amazing) as well as a couple of other plans for the future. I'm sure they'll keep good products coming :)

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #742 of 1,451

The Furutech plug's barrel looks awesome!
How did the Furutech plug disintegrated? Over heated?

Maybe I just got a dud.
Overheating?
I'd say no to that.
I learned to solder properly when I was about 8 and have since gone on to mod many things like cd player op-amp boards and rebuild loudspeaker cross overs, etc, etc.
It just got stuck inside the 3.5-6.3mm adaptor and when it finally let go, it came out with no tip. Maybe it was bent or had a bad edge closest to the ring section?

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #743 of 1,451
Maybe I just got a dud.
Overheating?
I'd say no to that.
I learned to solder properly when I was about 8 and have since gone on to mod many things like cd player op-amp boards and rebuild loudspeaker cross overs, etc, etc.
It just got stuck inside the 3.5-6.3mm adaptor and when it finally let go, it came out with no tip. Maybe it was bent or had a bad edge closest to the ring section?

Noted. Just curious that how come plug from such a big name spoils easily.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #744 of 1,451
Yes, I agree and was quite surprised it happened.
It also meant that I had to wait a few weeks to listen to my new IEMs again
: (

On another note, and I hope this is not a damper too much, but the plug that Dita use really is nothing special.
My new plug sounds the same (AFAICT) and costs less than $20.
The carbon weave on the Dita barrel looks nice, but that's about it.

Just as well the rest of their product more than makes up for it
; )

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #745 of 1,451
  I am not saying they should release product left and right like AK but I think they shouldn't stay silent either. 

The Answer is barely a half year old now. If you want them to go faster than that, plan to accept cheap-ass workmanship, blithe ignorance of detail, and regular cost-cutting economics. Dita are doing a great job. I hope they keep a reliable, luxury pace, and observe their image rather than the idiotic idea that a company MUST update once a year or once every six months, or whatever timeframe we who buy from the low end or market-trend corps., think is right. 

Release when you have something you are fully behind, and believe warrants release. Otherwise, support your current products and customers.

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #747 of 1,451
Has anyone heard the Dita Truth alongside the Rhapsodio RTi1? I've heard good things about the RTi1, and for around the same price as the Truth, I'm curious. On another note, I'm listening to the  Truths right now and they are really coming along, but talk about burn-in...these things change on me multiple times a day.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #749 of 1,451
  Yes, I agree and was quite surprised it happened.
It also meant that I had to wait a few weeks to listen to my new IEMs again
: (

On another note, and I hope this is not a damper too much, but the plug that Dita use really is nothing special.
My new plug sounds the same (AFAICT) and costs less than $20.
The carbon weave on the Dita barrel looks nice, but that's about it.

Just as well the rest of their product more than makes up for it
; )

Hi Winno,

Just wanted to point out something about the plug.  we put a lot of effort into our plug because of the Truth cable and because we believe in the ease of use of a product.

If you look carefully at the Dita plug you will notice chamfered edges and a step which helps the plug to get into tighter places.  Certainly it cannot accommodate all kids of cases such as the Cleave case mentioned above.  The plug is also one of a kind and you will note that it is not available on any other product.  This is our philosophy.  We try our best never to use anything from off the shelf however tempting that may be.   

Thanks and best regards
D.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #750 of 1,451
  Hi Winno,

Just wanted to point out something about the plug.  we put a lot of effort into our plug because of the Truth cable and because we believe in the ease of use of a product.

If you look carefully at the Dita plug you will notice chamfered edges and a step which helps the plug to get into tighter places.  Certainly it cannot accommodate all kids of cases such as the Cleave case mentioned above.  The plug is also one of a kind and you will note that it is not available on any other product.  This is our philosophy.  We try our best never to use anything from off the shelf however tempting that may be.   

Thanks and best regards
D.

IMHO, It's a very good plug!  But it's just too big.
Not about the quality I would say, but the size. It would be wonderful if you could have the same quality (or even better) plug, in smaller size.
My2cents :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back