DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition).
Aug 20, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #766 of 1,451
  i have to know, what are you guys pairing the iem with? i find that the sound is a little funny with most of my setups and feels inadequately amplified. 

What are you using to amp? What is the output impedance? With the DITAs low impedance of 16 ohms, you'll need an amp with nice and low output impedance - below 2 ohms at minimum. iPhone 5 is around 4-5 ohms OI, which is too high. Bass audibly suffers the most when a damping factor isn't well-suited to the earphone's driver. Mids and highs will range from sounding like garbage, to fairly ok - depends on the impedance curve of the earphone. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #767 of 1,451

What are you using to amp? What is the output impedance? With the DITAs low impedance of 16 ohms, you'll need an amp with nice and low output impedance - below 2 ohms at minimum. iPhone 5 is around 4-5 ohms OI, which is too high. Bass audibly suffers the most when a damping factor isn't well-suited to the earphone's driver. Mids and highs will range from sounding like garbage, to fairly ok - depends on the impedance curve of the earphone. 

I am looking forward to portable amp form Cavali!

I am having a very positive matching with wagnus and o2.

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #769 of 1,451
  I am looking forward to portable amp form Cavali!

I am having a very positive matching with wagnus and o2.

Yes!

i feel like it sounds super horrible through my note 3. the hm901 setup with dita is great

Yeah the Note 3 will give you an impedance mismatch, it's OI it over 2 ohm. 901 is good to go. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #770 of 1,451
Yes!

Yeah the Note 3 will give you an impedance mismatch, it's OI it over 2 ohm. 901 is good to go. 

Nothing to do with impedance mismatch. Dita uses a dynamic driver, not multi BA. Angelo898 didnt like it probably due to the synergy or difference preference in the sound signature.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #771 of 1,451
Nothing to do with impedance mismatch. Dita uses a dynamic driver, not multi BA. Angelo898 didnt like it probably due to the synergy or difference preference in the sound signature.

Somewhere along the way you've picked up some misinformation. I'll grant you that the complexity of several BA drivers and crossovers adds even more variables to the impedance equation, but why do you think dynamic drivers are exempt? In fact one way to resolve an impedance mismatch is by adding wire to the driver's voice coil, in theory. 

Impedance mismatch has everything to do with it. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #773 of 1,451
Somewhere along the way you've picked up some misinformation. I'll grant you that the complexity of several BA drivers and crossovers adds even more variables to the impedance equation, but why do you think dynamic drivers are exempt? In fact one way to resolve an impedance mismatch is by adding wire to the driver's voice coil, in theory. 

Impedance mismatch has everything to do with it. 

And somewhere and sometime along the way, I think you and many others have became too a.nal over impedance mismatch. I never said dynamic is exempted, but it has nothing to do with impedance mismatch. There are those who liked the sound coming from AK100II which has 3 ohms with SE846 an 8 ohm multi BA. Like I said, it's all about the synergy and sound preference.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #774 of 1,451
Dynamics (single) typically have very flat impedance curves, so FR will not fluctuate due to impedance mismatch but the dynamic driver can lose control and sound wooly or loose in bass.

Definitely. 

And somewhere and sometime along the way, I think you and many others have became too a.nal over impedance mismatch. I never said dynamic is exempted, but it has nothing to do with impedance mismatch. There are those who liked the sound coming from AK100II which has 3 ohms with SE846 an 8 ohm multi BA. Like I said, it's all about the synergy and sound preference.

I don't think a.nal has much to do with it, but rather physics and electrical laws. Of course people will have their preferences, and of course there will be people that like a certain sound. You said impedance mismatch has nothing to do with it. And specifically because it was a dynamic driver. So the extrapolation was obvious. And it's just not true. Like shane said, the effects of not having proper damping is loss of control in the driver, most apparent in the bass. And this is very, plainly obvious to me when I hear it. If some like that kind of sound, that's neither here nor there, and certainly not a proof to your point that it has nothing to do with it. But to say I'm anal and that it has nothing to do with it is not good information to be disseminating. Impedance matters. A lot. I've heard it. A lot. 

These are well-grounded, long-established electrical laws. There is zero subjectivity in the fact that it exists and is measurable.

You should read up on some of the articles I linked to. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #775 of 1,451

Definitely. 

I don't think a.nal has much to do with it, but rather physics and electrical laws. Of course people will have their preferences, and of course there will be people that like a certain sound. You said impedance mismatch has nothing to do with it. And specifically because it was a dynamic driver. So the extrapolation was obvious. And it's just not true. Like shane said, the effects of not having proper damping is loss of control in the driver, most apparent in the bass. And this is very, plainly obvious to me when I hear it. If some like that kind of sound, that's neither here nor there, and certainly not a proof to your point that it has nothing to do with it. But to say I'm anal and that it has nothing to do with it is not good information to be disseminating. Impedance matters. A lot. I've heard it. A lot. 

These are well-grounded, long-established electrical laws. There is zero subjectivity in the fact that it exists and is measurable.

You should read up on some of the articles I linked to. 

My remark on the impedance mismatch has nothing to do with 'it' is referring to angelo's statement that the sound was horrible. I believe that the reason he found it horrible has nothing to do with impedance mismatch but a different preference in sound signature or synergy.
The effect on some multi BA drivers which results in fluctuation in FR curves is very different compared to dynamic drivers as that is a change in sound signature instead of just a loose bass. And whether the impedance specifically affects Dita is not a given certainty as not all dynamic drivers react to impedance mismatch. It's only a measurable fact if someone actually did the measurement on the Note 3 together with the Dita instead of just basing it solely on the impedance value before looking at the graph.

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #776 of 1,451
I pair my Dita with the Hifi-M8 (idevice version) using ipod touch 5G -Flacplayer app and Venturecraft lightning cable.

The great thing about the Hifi-M8 is it has three impedance switch settings 10/2/1.

I can experiment with different settings and iems/headphones easily, it is not as extreme as I once believed.

DITA - still lovin em!

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #778 of 1,451
I've taken a month break from them, tonight I will test their magic agian

WHY OH WHY do that to yourself... just enjoy the music...  

I really love the natural tone of these things. They are so much better than my BA sets in this regard.  The DITAs play music whilst the BAs play nice sounds which are a facsimile of real music.  It's the only way i can describe the difference.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #779 of 1,451
I always do it for the final seal of approval. I haven't listened to Hugo for 4 week too. Once they pass that test they got my full love.

I hope to add dita to my er4s list.

Sadly ck100pro failed to impress me after a while of not using it.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #780 of 1,451
Had to send my beloved Answers in for warranty, and the good guys at DITA will have a brand new pair, free-of-charge ready for me, in 2 days! This is exactly what good customer service and customer care looks like :) 

If anyone is curious as to why they're at warranty it was just a minor cable issue, there was an internal wire issue with the right side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back