DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition).
May 19, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #436 of 1,451

Neil Youngs -Greatest Hits on the train today with DITA-The Truth, Hifi-M8 and ATH-ESW11. bliss.

You are quite the toter. I LOVED the balanced Dita Truth. I don't know much about the AK240 as I've listened only for a few minutes, but comparing the regular TRS to the TRRS version of the Truth was wonderful. Tone and timbre always were perfect on the Truth, but the balanced version is simply phenomenal. 

It's interesting you say that, as after I found they were more revealing of the driving capability of various DAPs from my iPhone and up than I had expected, I can believe it.

May 19, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #437 of 1,451
Just pulled the trigger on the Fat Cable version, my first IEM. Will consider the balanced Truth version later in the year if I like it.

May 19, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #438 of 1,451

It's interesting you say that, as after I found they were more revealing of the driving capability of various DAPs from my iPhone and up than I had expected, I can believe it.

Did you not get a chance with the balanced version? Incredible beyond words. Mark my words. Or don't. Mark beyond my words.

May 19, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #441 of 1,451
As a matter of face, I was planning to pit them against one another rather soon. They sound quite different to one another, so it's not an apples/orange comparison. And to be honest, the Dita feels and looks like a finished product. The tralucent is very nice, but it limns with a DIY light, albeit a good DIY light.

May 19, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #442 of 1,451
I've seen a few comments about the Ditas being on the brighter side in sound signature. I was planning on pairing the Truth edition with the Sony ZX1 as my primary rig, which has a nice brighter, airy signature as a DAP itself. Does anyone have any opinions on whether this would be too harsh of a pairing? I saw several pages back another head fier was using the pairing and didn't mention any obvious downsides. 

There's a local buyer selling his RWAK100 that I was thinking of picking up if the reportedly warmer sound signature  of that DAP might consititue a better pairing overall...

May 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #443 of 1,451
I have the ZX1/Dita Truth combo. I do find the IEM a touch on the bright/harsh side from time to time, but so far it's not a deal breaker for me. I've never really felt the ZX1 is bright on its own per se (actually find the iphone 5 w/ios7 to be brighter). To me it's just highly detailed. So my opinion is that it does nothing detrimental to the overall combo's sound signature. The Truth just brings out the sonic characteristics of your source. To me it's quite an enjoyable rig. The only con is that the Truth is ruthless to poorly recorded music. You will hear that like there's a glaring spotlight shining on the shortcomings. 

May 19, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #444 of 1,451
  I have the ZX1/Dita Truth combo. I do find the IEM a touch on the bright/harsh side from time to time, but so far it's not a deal breaker for me. I've never really felt the ZX1 is bright on its own per se (actually find the iphone 5 w/ios7 to be brighter). To me it's just highly detailed. So my opinion is that it does nothing detrimental to the overall combo's sound signature. The Truth just brings out the sonic characteristics of your source. To me it's quite an enjoyable rig. The only con is that the Truth is ruthless to poorly recorded music. You will hear that like there's a glaring spotlight shining on the shortcomings. 

Thanks a ton for the feedback. It's also become abundantly clear that the Ditas will require a significant amount of burn-in, and with many reports of the treble "settling in" during burn-in there might not be a problem after all. I shall definitely know tomorrow when they show up on my doorstep (at least according to FedEx). Let me just say that the FedEx International Priority shipping at no extra cost is much appreciated to the Dita team.

May 19, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #445 of 1,451
Just received The Answer today and have been testing it on and off while letting it burn in. Just wondering, what tips are people preferring to use? I found that I like the widest bore ones because they make the sound seem more open and lively. Treble has been slightly peaky at times, depending on the music. Looking forward to it settling down a bit after a few hundred hours. Thankfully I haven't found the mids to be recessed, but pretty well balanced with the bass and highs. I think I would prefer the mids to be slightly more forward, but maybe I just have to adjust to it after listening to mid-forward headphones and IEMs for so long.

May 19, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #446 of 1,451
  Just received The Answer today and have been testing it on and off while letting it burn in. Just wondering, what tips are people preferring to use? I found that I like the widest bore ones because they make the sound seem more open and lively. Treble has been slightly peaky at times, depending on the music. Looking forward to it settling down a bit after a few hundred hours. Thankfully I haven't found the mids to be recessed, but pretty well balanced with the bass and highs. I think I would prefer the mids to be slightly more forward, but maybe I just have to adjust to it after listening to mid-forward headphones and IEMs for so long.

I ended up on some large single flange with a medium bore, That has given me the best seal and frequency balance. The seal is not always perfect and a little difficult to achieve but when right they sound wonderful. In regards to the mids... wait a while.. it will change. I had exactly the same experience as you did during the first couple of days listening but either through adjusting to the sig or actual burn in they are now sound balanced and the midrange is not recessed at all. Listening to Cassandra Wilson for example, her voice seems just forward of the plane of instruments, full, rich, and life like. 

May 19, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #447 of 1,451

I ended up on some large single flange with a medium bore, That has given me the best seal and frequency balance. The seal is not always perfect and a little difficult to achieve but when right they sound wonderful. In regards to the mids... wait a while.. it will change. I had exactly the same experience as you did during the first couple of days listening but either through adjusting to the sig or actual burn in they are now sound balanced and the midrange is not recessed at all. Listening to Cassandra Wilson for example, her voice seems just forward of the plane of instruments, full, rich, and life like. 

At first I liked the medium bore, but then I realized the mid bass was still a bit too strong for my tastes. Yeah the seal is a finicky thing. My left ear easily gets a good seal but my right ear is hit or miss and I have to fiddle around with it for a minute sometimes. A revised version of The Answer should definitely have a longer nozzle and different nozzle angle so that this isn't an issue. That's great news about the mids though. Slightly forward mids are exactly how I like them. What other changes should I expect from burn-in?

May 19, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #448 of 1,451
I prefer the reference tips, they seem to have the best over all sound to my ears.

I tried the Sony hybrids, but found the soundstage narrowed, although the fit was much better.

Then I asked Danny at DITA which LL size tips would be best for me to purchase, and he recommended trying the LL sized Sony which I bought yesterday and will try out today. 

May 20, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #449 of 1,451

Hi CN11.  I myself use the ZX-1 on both Answer and Answer (Truth Edition).  Just thought you might like to know that.  Occasionally, I might add an amp through a "walkman" LOD but most times, it's just the earphones direct out of the ZX1.
D.

May 20, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #450 of 1,451
Looking ah the F/S forum, looks like folks are hopping on the Truth! Must say I'm curious myself. But I kinda like love the The Answer the way it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back