distortion
Aug 29, 2010 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jbach

New Head-Fier
I'm new to headphones. I just got a headroom portable desktop amp and K601 headphones. The problem is that there is a lot of distortion when the music gets loud (like classical music climaxes). Changing the volume on the desktop doesn't seem to make it go away, it just gets louder or quieter but still there.

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 13
X2.  

And I'll also add that when I got my first good amp and cans, I realized just how poor many of my recordings were--on the master cds.  Furthermore, I could no longer stand MP3s lower than 192 kbs.  Above 256-320 kbs, I am seriously challenged to hear any differences between them and the master cd, but 128-192 and lower it is very obvious.

Quote:
If the distortion is already present in your ripped/compressed music files, and you are listening with a headphone and an amplifier that can present to you the details in your music, then there is nothing you can do!
Except getting your music from sources that gives you properly recorded and mastered music files, properly ripped into digital format eventually.
Or use some headphones that makes such noise and distortions unnoticeable, like some cheap PortaPros or maybe some less detailed Sennheiser's.
Also your player might have some bad equalization settings.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 13
I don't think the distortion is in the recording... I listen to these same recordings on my speakers (Spendor S3/5), and no distortion. It is a really obvious crackling noise. It happens only during the loud parts, either things like orchestral climaxes or really loud/accented piano notes. But changing the volume control doesn't help.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 13
That stinks.  Looks a like a shipment to Sennheiser is in order for some warranty work.

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 13
Oops.  You're totally right.  I got two completely different threads mixed up.  I was involved in another thread where a guy is having distortion issues with his HD650s, which may be due to a defective driver.  So, I was suggesting repairs.  I made a mistake!!!!!  Sorry! 
L3000.gif

Quote:
Why?
I think his headphones are AKG's?
I suggested Sennheiser for him, because distortions/bad details easily audible with AKG's will mostly not be audible in Sennheisers.
AKG's will display more details compared to Sennheiser,both good and bad!

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 13
The Spendor/Harbeth sound is not very revealing and, to my ears, cover up some of the bad upstream factors, all the way to the recording. OTOH, headphones (AKGs like my K701s included) can convey a lot of info, for better or worse. So if you are used to the British speaker sound, headphones could be a shock, especially on more complex crescendo-laden music. MP3 compression sure doesn't help, either. (I have a pair of Harbeths and a collection of phones, so I have some experience here.) My guess is that nothing is wrong with your phones or equipment, and maybe it's time to get on the upgrade merry-go-round (Godspeed!), starting with the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back