Disappointed with HD800 bass, need something better...
Dec 17, 2010 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 172

MetalElvis

100+ Head-Fier
The clarity and highs with these heaphones are amazing, but I was really disappointed with the lack of bass. :frowning2:

So I think I´m going to return these and find something better and more bass heavy.

Any suggestions? Are there something  out there with the HD800 clarity and highs, but with LOT more bass?

What about Denon AH-7000? I remember reading good things about them in the past.

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 172
The D7000 has great bass and slam. I find myself using it more than the HD800. Don't give up on the HD800 yet. When pair with a great amp, it can be pretty amazing but don't expect slamming bass.

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 172
My setup is Mac Pro with RME Fireface 800 soundcard. HD800 is connected straight to the Fireface´s headphone out. But I will soon change my setup to the new Apogee I/O and Crane Song Avocet monitor controller and I´ll be hooking up my headphones to those pieces of equipment.

I´ve been using HD600 and HD650 now for several years. I like their sound, but would like some more clarity and detail and more tighter bass.

So the HD800 was a disappointment, ´cause it has way less bass than the HD600/650. Also I´m noticing fatigue with the HD800 highs, although they are very clear and detailed, but after half an hour my ears are busted, but I guess that´s the price to pay with detailed sound? With HD600/650 I can listen music all day long.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 172
Your Mac Pro's soundcard isn't nearly enough to amp the HD800.  What you're getting is basically what I got with the iPod unamped.  It's still interesting and it's still pretty nifty but you haven't even begun to hear the bass that your HD800 puts out, which is not slam-heavy bass but quite even bass right down to grumble level.  You need a real amp, not a computer soundcard.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 172

Quote:
My setup is Mac Pro with RME Fireface 800 soundcard. HD800 is connected straight to the Fireface´s headphone out. But I will soon change my setup to the new Apogee I/O and Crane Song Avocet monitor controller and I´ll be hooking up my headphones to those pieces of equipment.

You're wasting the HD800s with that setup. Either upgrade your ancillary equipment or get easy-to-drive/forgiving headphones like the Denon D7000 (closed) or Audez'e LCD-2 (open).

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 172

Quote:
Quote:

You're wasting the HD800s with that setup. Either upgrade your ancillary equipment or get easy-to-drive/forgiving headphones like the Denon D7000 (closed) or Audez'e LCD-2 (open).

I agree with Shahrose, but the LCD-2 is NOT easy to drive properly IMO. While it is quite it is one of the easier orthos to drive, it still needs a good supply of current/power to reach it's full potential in my experiences. I would say D7000/Ed.8 for closed or a Grado for open.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 172

Quote:

I´ve been using HD600 and HD650 now for several years. I like their sound, but would like some more clarity and detail and more tighter bass.

So the HD800 was a disappointment, ´cause it has way less bass than the HD600/650. Also I´m noticing fatigue with the HD800 highs, although they are very clear and detailed, but after half an hour my ears are busted, but I guess that´s the price to pay with detailed sound? With HD600/650 I can listen music all day long.

So you drop $1400 on headphones with that setup?  <<insert face palm here>>

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 172

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with Shahrose, but the LCD-2 is NOT easy to drive properly IMO. While it is quite it is one of the easier orthos to drive, it still needs a good supply of current/power to reach it's full potential in my experiences. I would say D7000/Ed.8 for closed or a Grado for open.

True, thanks for the clarification.

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 172

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Shahrose: Just a clarification, the HE-6's bass weight, would you classify it more/less than the HD800s? Would it be on par with the HD650s or LCD-2s?

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 172

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Shahrose: Just a clarification, the HE-6's bass weight, would you classify it more/less than the HD800s? Would it be on par with the HD650s or LCD-2s?

Thanks!

Way more than the 800. Around the same level as the LCD-2 or HD650 in my setup. Quality falls short of the 800/LCD-2 IMO, but it could be because I don't have a speaker amp to power the HE-6.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #13 of 172
Get the LCD2 and see how you like it without an amp.  I think you'll be very impressed by the sound.  You can always get an amp for it later when budget permits.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #14 of 172

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Way more than the 800. Around the same level as the LCD-2 or HD650 in my setup. Quality falls short of the 800/LCD-2 IMO, but it could be because I don't have a speaker amp to power the HE-6.

Cool...thanks!

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 172
Spend another $1149 on a Lehmann Black Cube Linear and you will hear what the HD800 is all about.  I did and I love it.  It will not give you slamming bass, but bass is full and well defined.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back