Disappointed by HD555 upgrade from HD497
Sep 12, 2010 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

riker1384

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-497 that I got a few years ago. They were my first quality, open phones. I just picked up a pair of HD-555 that were going cheap on Craigslist. I looked them up, they have good Amazon reviews at a higher price point and several people there and in forums said they had also had the 497, and the 555 were better. I thought they were a safe bet.

I don't like to waste people's time kicking tires on Craigslist, so I just tested them for function with some techno the guy had. Now I've got them home, and they sound dark. The 497's were clearer. Am I nuts?

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 5
No the HD555 is dark sounding so you aren't nuts or bonkers... at least yet :wink: This place will make you though :wink:

The HD600 sounds less dark IMO because it has more treble energy and would recommend those phones if you have a amp. An amp can make the HD555 sound more lively. Even a Fiio amp helps, the E5 unit that is.

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 5
I owned the 497 and I currently have a 555 and I can assure you the 555 is streets ahead in terms of resembling live music. However, if you're not listening to acoustic music and you've become accustomed to a lesser set of headphones with their own particular colourations it's not surprising you're having trouble adjusting. I would advise giving yourself time. The 555 is not "dark', it's remarkable neutral for its price, and an amp will not improve it much; but if you're used to false brightness in a phone it will take a while for your ears to adjust. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back