Disappointed about RE-262s. Probably my own fault for not doing enough research.
Jan 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
I hope everyone is having a good day.

I recently just purchased an RE-262 after days of reading threads and reviews about it in this forums.  I must say that that I was pretty disappointed when I tried it out.  The most accurate way to describe it for me is it sounded really flat especially when listening to rock music.  I am still in the burn-in process (about 40 hours in) so I think there might be a little improvement if I go through it but I'm really skeptical about it now.

There are other factors that I am considering that might contribute to my disappointment.

- It's a high impedance low efficiency IEM's so maybe I really need an amp to drive it.  Using it with an iPod Nano 5G and a Samsang Galaxy s2.

- The music I listen to doesn't really shine when using these IEMs because it emphasizes on mid (but I really didn't thought that this much emphasis on mid would make everything else flat).  But I listen to a REALLY wide variety of music.  From Avenged Sevenfold to Michael Buble.  Pendulum to Maroon 5.  Linkin Park to Nat King Cole.  J-Cole to Taylor Swift.  I would say though that 70% of what listen to are rock.

- Maybe the pair that I got is defective?

I really need some advise guys.  Did I make the wrong purchase for the kind of music that I listen to?  Or do I just have to get the right equipment (amp) and go through the burn-in process.  Because right now the new Shure SE215s are really tempting.  I can answer any questions that are needed

Thank you for everyone's help in advance.

I was disappointed by the 262 when I heard it as well, but I've kept my mouth mostly closed as people seemed to really like it. Nothing is for everyone and it's okay to have a minority opinion. Looks like Shotgun is giving good advice in terms of an amp, maybe it will help things be a bit more lively and that can make all the difference.

I would try to understand why you don't like what you have before jumping off blindly to another earphone you might not like, either.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #17 of 32
Rock listener seems generally happy with a Grodo'ish sound (at least that's the popular assumption in the forum). OP, if you don't really enjoy the RE262, perhaps you will want to look into something either bright and more aggressive or with a balanced, V-shaped sound next time.

As for amp pairing with RE262 (if you decide to keep experimenting), I'll suggest something bright and analytical (i.e. LEAR FSM-01, iBasso T3 or D-zero, FiiO E6 to a smaller extent).

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #18 of 32

Quote:
Rock listener seems generally happy with a Grodo'ish sound (at least that's the popular assumption in the forum). OP, if you don't really enjoy the RE262, perhaps you will want to look into something either bright and more aggressive or with a balanced, V-shaped sound next time.

As for amp pairing with RE262 (if you decide to keep experimenting), I'll suggest something bright and analytical (i.e. LEAR FSM-01, iBasso T3 or D-zero, FiiO E6 to a smaller extent).

Thank you for dropping by on my thread.  Last night I was trying the damn hardest to look for you multi-IEM thread to see what you think about the 262s but for some weird reason I can't find it and the search function is failing me.  Good thing this morning I saw it at the front page.

I just got through about 40 hours of burn in and I must say I appreciate the 262s much more now.  I just tried the earbuds I was using before (some cheapo $30 that I got from The Source) and now it sounded dark with not much detail.  I guess the 262s just grow on you and I start to really like it more now (or maybe the burn in made a difference).

I think I really need an amp because I like listening to my music really loud (I'm going to get run over by a truck but I wouldn't notice kind of loud) and a maxed out iPod 6G just makes the sound horrible.  I'm really thankful for the amps that you suggested and I'm reading about them right now but sadly I have no realistic way of comparing them since I don't really know, or we don't really have, any audiophile stores here in Toronto to test them out.  So now I really have a hard time picking the right one.

Off topic question to anyone who would kindly give me an answer.  I keep seeing everyone rocking a Sansa Clip+.  Is it the preferred listening device of the people here?  I would like to find a thread about it

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #19 of 32

Quote:
Thank you for dropping by on my thread.  Last night I was trying the damn hardest to look for you multi-IEM thread to see what you think about the 262s but for some weird reason I can't find it and the search function is failing me.  Good thing this morning I saw it at the front page.

I just got through about 40 hours of burn in and I must say I appreciate the 262s much more now.  I just tried the earbuds I was using before (some cheapo $30 that I got from The Source) and now it sounded dark with not much detail.  I guess the 262s just grow on you and I start to really like it more now (or maybe the burn in made a difference).

I think I really need an amp because I like listening to my music really loud (I'm going to get run over by a truck but I wouldn't notice kind of loud) and a maxed out iPod 6G just makes the sound horrible.  I'm really thankful for the amps that you suggested and I'm reading about them right now but sadly I have no realistic way of comparing them since I don't really know, or we don't really have, any audiophile stores here in Toronto to test them out.  So now I really have a hard time picking the right one.

Off topic question to anyone who would kindly give me an answer.  I keep seeing everyone rocking a Sansa Clip+.  Is it the preferred listening device of the people here?  I would like to find a thread about it

If you plan to buy a sandisk sansa maybe its better to go for the sansa fuze if you can affort it. I say this probably because your in the search for an amp to drive your re262 and sansa fuze has line out. with this feature you will bypass your mp3player amplifier so you get your music amplified from the fiio e6 for example which is suppose to be better

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #20 of 32
YEah the RE-262 was not for me either. It's okay, we live, we learn. Now you know as well as me that our sound preferences are not what the RE-262 gives. Personally, I like the v-shaped sound more.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #21 of 32
Well the Clip+ puts out a flat response across the whole frequency and it is certainly hard to beat in terms of price/performance.  I am not sure if you will see a vast improvement with the 262 as they will likely still need to be amped from what I have read on them thus far.  I believe you have 30 days if you purchased them from Hifiman to return them if you are not satisfied, you may want to go this route and pick up something v shaped as Clieos recommended.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #22 of 32
Nah I was just wondering why everyone is rocking a Clip+.  I'm not planning on buying it.  Just really curious on why every time I lurk here it gets mentioned (like IE8s for example)

It's really hard to decide if I'm going to return it or not to find a better one because like I said, I'm starting to like it more now.  Maybe the right amp would definitely win me over.

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #24 of 32
So if I understand this correctly, the amp that I should be picking up should complement the features that the IEMs are missing

So if the 262s are considered warm, then I should get an amp that is bright and analytical?

Because if this basic principle is true then getting a Fiio E11 (or maybe E17) would be a bad idea correct?

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #25 of 32

Quote:
Because if this basic principle is true then getting a Fiio E11 (or maybe E17) would be a bad idea correct?

E17 should be good, E11 not so much. You might want to know that E17 comes with both customizable treble and bass EQ, so you can tune it to your liking.

May 5, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #27 of 32
I also suffered the same reaction with the RE-262. I use the E5 with it through LOD on iPhone, and for the majority of music i listen to it sounds pretty good, but I am disappointed with it when listening to rock. I am also considering sticking with them and upgrading my amp, and if still unsatisfied, looking for another IEM with a different signature.

I am considering the JDS Labs c421 or the iBasso PB2. I want the amp to scale (whilst remaining portable) in case I do decide to purchase full sized headphones in the future. Are these decent choices or am I on the wrong track? Wondering how they will sound with the RE262. Still doing research so haven't pulled the trigger yet.

May 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #28 of 32
Dont overlook the iBasso P4 - I think it might have sold out, but hopefully iBasso will build another batch. So many people run around the forums looking for a powerful portable amp and totally ignore the P4. Gobs of effortless power - I'll be getting another one as soon as I take care of a few real world issues. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back