digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
Nov 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #738 of 1,021
Quote:
Thanks!
The ability to decrease bass would make the ZO even more attractive imho. This would shape the ZO into a truly versatile device and equalizer. I hope DigiZoid is paying attention
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I felt on the lowest setting on ZO2.3 it decreases a little but it's only down very low, I remember seeing it was measured too but yea it's not a huge amount. There's just one concern I have about doing that is that I wouldn't want the subtle intensity changes per step would differ too drasticly as that's one thing I love about ZO, the ability to get just the EXACT amount of bass you want as the intensity steps are so small.

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #739 of 1,021
DigiZoid still claims its not lowering of bass. I personally have tested it against my own hearing and feel that the sound signature of the ZO2.3 lends itself to the idea that it is less bass at the lowest setting because of the smartVektor technology making the frequencies better seperated and isolated. That's in theory what it should be dong. While some may say it's lowering bass, it really just feels like there is less muddiness at the lowest setting so you only hear what is actually meant to be bass, instead of what comes direct from your source which isn't doing the same thing as the ZO2
Quote:

Well I felt on the lowest setting on ZO2.3 it decreases a little but it's only down very low, I remember seeing it was measured too but yea it's not a huge amount. There's just one concern I have about doing that is that I wouldn't want the subtle intensity changes per step would differ too drasticly as that's one thing I love about ZO, the ability to get just the EXACT amount of bass you want as the intensity steps are so small.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #740 of 1,021
Just got this and I gotta say, it sounds fantastic.

High Contrast - The Agony and The Ecstasy sounds sooo good with this, ill have to keep listening but damn, i have mine get to yellow.. I wonder if anyone can handle this thing at red, haha.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #741 of 1,021
DigiZoid still claims its not lowering of bass. I personally have tested it against my own hearing and feel that the sound signature of the ZO2.3 lends itself to the idea that it is less bass at the lowest setting because of the smartVektor technology making the frequencies better seperated and isolated. That's in theory what it should be dong. While some may say it's lowering bass, it really just feels like there is less muddiness at the lowest setting so you only hear what is actually meant to be bass, instead of what comes direct from your source which isn't doing the same thing as the ZO2

It definitely lowers sub-bass at the lowest contour, but this will of course depend entirely on what your cans can reproduce and what your ears can perceive:
fr_low.png

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #742 of 1,021
Well that's very interesting....I didn't expect them to come out with a non-SmartVector product, but if the final product is expected to be even smaller than what's in that picture, and it can drive something like my T1s, I would bite.

I had mentioned previously in the thread that something like a Smart Vector "buffer" would be badass, and MizMoxie mentioned that they were working on something that would have that sort of application, so I'm eager awaiting their future offerings.

Also, if any of you guys have cheap IEMs laying around, fire them up on the ZO and prepare to be amazed. I've done this a few times, with these little cheap $8 Altec Lansing IEMs being my favorites. They sound ok by themselves, but with the ZO they are transformed into something entirely different and better. I still can't get over it. I'm not saying they compete with my Atrios, but when driven by the ZO you'd NEVER guess they were cheapos. I prefer headphones to IEMs, though, so I love that Digizoid is coming out with ways to accomodate harder to drive headphones.

I've been using them with my Apple Earpods since I gave up on the Zo and relegate them to this purpose since they are useless out of the Line Out. I have since found another use. If I'm watching a blockbuster movie on my TV via headphones, the Zo is perfect for that as well.

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #743 of 1,021
Quote:
I've been using them with my Apple Earpods since I gave up on the Zo and relegate them to this purpose since they are useless out of the Line Out. I have since found another use. If I'm watching a blockbuster movie on my TV via headphones, the Zo is perfect for that as well.

One of my favorite demos with the ZO for movies is "Serenity". I think it's still available on Netflix streaming, and the first ten mins or so are so intense in the low end that it's quite the experience. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #745 of 1,021
If you guys want a tip on a headphone that pairs REALLY well with the ZO, grab some Beyer 1350 portables. I'm on my third movie this weekend using this combo and I'm loving this...the 1350s already have amazing low end extension, so when you pair it with the ZO the bass is just off the charts awesome. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #746 of 1,021
Hey guys

im building an entirely new rig, and was wondering what DAP to buy. Which of the following would have the best sq?

Ipod Nano 3g + LOD+ZO
ipod nano 3g+ HO+ZO
Sansa Clip Zip + HO +Zo

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #747 of 1,021
Quote:
It definitely lowers sub-bass at the lowest contour, but this will of course depend entirely on what your cans can reproduce and what your ears can perceive:
fr_low.png

Where did you get this plot from? Did you do it yourself? I'm only wondering b/c it's not an accurate measurement. Because of the way our SmartVektor technology works, specialized buffer circuits are needed on the ZO's inputs in order to get a truly accurate frequency response plot. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #748 of 1,021

ATTENTION HEAD-FI ZO USERS

Well since it hasn't been posted here yet I guess it should be posted because I think there should be more "wise" heads joining the groups and this is a good place to gather people from:

We've got so many great ideas for new products, that we don't know where to start! So we're looking for a group of people to be both our sounding board, and beta testers for our first prototypes.

To participate, please complete and return the following: 
http://www.digizoid.com/docs/dzd_sounding_board_v1.pdf

Be sure to share this with your friends on Facebook and any forums you belong to!

If you're ever so slightly interested and think you can contribute in the discussions with reasonable arguments, please join, it's well worth it!

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #749 of 1,021
What do you guys think of pairing the zo with an e11? I tried it and it really opened up the stage for me, I am just worried about burning one of the amps up. Let me know your thoughts. I am running the zo then the e11 from a sansa clip. To me it sounds crazy good now.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #750 of 1,021
Quote:
What do you guys think of pairing the zo with an e11? I tried it and it really opened up the stage for me, I am just worried about burning one of the amps up. Let me know your thoughts. I am running the zo then the e11 from a sansa clip. To me it sounds crazy good now.

You're not the first person to try this, and that person also loved the E11 + ZO combo. I'd say it's due to ZO not being properly amped or the gain is a little too low. I got a ZO2.1 that has a bit higher gain and I think it sounds often a little "fullier".

I've also tried ZO2.3 (low gain) -> ZO2.1 or ZO1 with similar observations that it does benefit from the extra amping if you overlook the over-the-top bass boost from applying SmartVektor curves and the focused power to the low frequencies 2 times on the signal. (The bass quantity is really scaringly strong with 2x ZO xD but the headphone drivers themselves probably can't withstand it very well, I tested with several of my headphones and it started distorting at a little different bass levels so it's a lot down due to headphone bass capabilities, say my cheap Philips headphones which is extremely basslight and doesn't extend very well at all really starts struggling when one ZO is set to green and the other is about yellow, it outputs audible distortion then in the lows)

ZO due to being analogically processed seems to be one of the few amps who doesn't really sound bad if double-amping, it might even sound nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back