digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
Jan 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #16 of 1,021

Quote:
I agree in that the difference is less obvious, I use high gain mode by default because I find myself pushing the volume of both my Zune 120 and RoxClip+ to 18 and -3db respectively on max volume (purple) with my FXT90s. However, my ears believe that high-gain mode actually has less of a V curve compared to normal-gain mode. The difference was clear when I listened to MOS The Sound of Dubstep 3 last night. I found I had to use 4 increments of the EQ curve in high-gain vs 2 increments in normal-gain, to get the same sound.

Another observation is that while the bass improvement is something akin to magic ( I used a variety of crappy earphones using the RoxClip+ as a source to see what kind of improvement there is), the unit does not enhance sub-bass.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the comment about not ehancing sub-bass. Well if you mean it doesn't change sub bass at all - because even just few steps up in the contour profile on my Ultrasone Pro 750's make Phaeleh (a dubstep artist that focusses on sub bass) tracks absolutely rumble. There was sub bass presence before, and it was good, but the quantity of sub bass increases without a doubt.

Just a side note, there's a slight hiss with the Ultrasone's in high gain mode while it's charging from the USB port of my PC. It's not there in low gain mode. The ZO quickstart guide does say that if you experience any noise while charging, you can fix it by using a USB wall adapter instead of your PC to charge though.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #17 of 1,021
Thanks for the suggestion. I had emailed them just now and waiting for their reply...

For information, now their "backordered" tag had been taken down in their order pages... If you want to buy it, now is the time (before they went out of stock again)... I might got my shipping notice soon :)

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #18 of 1,021
I just got my ZO2 v3 in the mail yesterday after sending it back for RMA. I'm currently using it with and iPod Touch and the DBA-02, and I was quite surprised when I did a before and after ZO comparison. With the ZO it seems like the soundstage of the DBA-02 is significantly reduced. I also can't hear the finer details like I can un-amped. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to burn it in now to see if the soundstage improves.

Another thing I forgot to mention, I'm using it on high gain mode as my LOD cable has become faulty.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #19 of 1,021
You need to get a LOD if that's how you feel. I honestly can't stand how my ZO2.3 sounds when using Headphone out on my iPod. I find it just doesn't do the trick for me. Burn in may help, but considering that FiiO has some cheap LOD's you should definitely try picking one up and seeing if it helps, I know I prefer it. 

Also, I'm waiting to post my impression of the product, as I initially wrote an early impression being one of the first to receive the new revision, and now that I've had plenty of burn in and use, I am waiting on my recabled D2000s to arrive with a new LOD so I can see how the ZO2.3 performs on yet another type of setup, being that the cables are going to be much higher quality and I should be able to take full advantage of the ZO2.3's bass boost and sound processing.

Quote:
I just got my ZO2 v3 in the mail yesterday after sending it back for RMA. I'm currently using it with and iPod Touch and the DBA-02, and I was quite surprised when I did a before and after ZO comparison. With the ZO it seems like the soundstage of the DBA-02 is significantly reduced. I also can't hear the finer details like I can un-amped. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to burn it in now to see if the soundstage improves.

Another thing I forgot to mention, I'm using it on high gain mode as my LOD cable has become faulty.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #20 of 1,021
Yeah, my Fiio L3 still works, but it takes a bit of fiddling to get it to work. I'll probably have to order a new one. Another thing I noticed, when I use the headphone out, there's a large drop in volume. I have to set the volume on my iPod close to max in order to get a usable volume. When I use a LOD instead, I can switch to low gain and have lots of volume to spare. Strange.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #21 of 1,021

Quote:
Yeah, my Fiio L3 still works, but it takes a bit of fiddling to get it to work. I'll probably have to order a new one. Another thing I noticed, when I use the headphone out, there's a large drop in volume. I have to set the volume on my iPod close to max in order to get a usable volume. When I use a LOD instead, I can switch to low gain and have lots of volume to spare. Strange.

When you're using headphone out, you are using high gain, correct?

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #22 of 1,021
Yup. When I plug it in on high gain mode, I have to set the volume on my iPod pretty high because it's too soft. When I remove the ZO from the setup, the volume comes back and I have to turn it down.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #23 of 1,021

Quote:
Yup. When I plug it in on high gain mode, I have to set the volume on my iPod pretty high because it's too soft. When I remove the ZO from the setup, the volume comes back and I have to turn it down.

Are you sure it's really in high gain, the volume should glow with a pink color when it's in high gain, takes like 3 - 5 secs when holding down volume control+ when it's at the highest low gain volume level (purple) and should add a big boost in volume.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #24 of 1,021
Ah now I see. I always thought that it goes into high gain mode once the blue turns to purple. I didn't realize that it was still in low gain mode. That explains my issue with the volume, thanks! I'm gonna let it burn in for some time, hopefully the soundstage improves.

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #26 of 1,021

Try ordering the FiiO L1 instead then. I have the L1 and L3. I had the same type of issue from day one with the L3, the L1 has been perfect since the day I got it though. I have no idea why this is, but if you are having a similar issue, then you should try the L1
Quote:

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #27 of 1,021

Quote:
I wholeheartedly disagree with the comment about not ehancing sub-bass. Well if you mean it doesn't change sub bass at all - because even just few steps up in the contour profile on my Ultrasone Pro 750's make Phaeleh (a dubstep artist that focusses on sub bass) tracks absolutely rumble. There was sub bass presence before, and it was good, but the quantity of sub bass increases without a doubt.

Just a side note, there's a slight hiss with the Ultrasone's in high gain mode while it's charging from the USB port of my PC. It's not there in low gain mode. The ZO quickstart guide does say that if you experience any noise while charging, you can fix it by using a USB wall adapter instead of your PC to charge though.

Could you recommend a few tracks by Phaeleh I could listen to, to figure out the sub bass?

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #28 of 1,021
Sure thing.

Phaeleh - The Cold In You
Phaeleh - Reconcile
Phaeleh - Memories
Phaeleh - Think About It

I'll embed a couple of them from youtube.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #29 of 1,021
For me it's like the higher I go on the bass the more it starts to vibrate my cheeks especially in the first embedded video. :p I can really feel this massive subbass tickling my ears. 18" subs would love this very slow one note bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back