digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
May 24, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #616 of 1,021
FWIW I use the ZO2.3 in my 2011 Honda CR-Z with the aux port and my phone as the media player on a regular basis. I have to set the head unit's bass and subwoofer settings to 0 otherwise it gets really muddy with just too much bass. I have the ZO set to high gain and rarely get above a greenish yellow on the contour before the bass is overwhelming.

The sound is loud and crisp and the ZO works great. 

May 24, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #617 of 1,021
Last year my son and I took a road trip and used the original zo and a clip.  Wonderful sound.  I didn't mess with the Honda Fit audio settings but I'll try that next time.

May 25, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #618 of 1,021
Quote:
I have one more frontier to cross in my use of the ZO2. I posed this question to digiZoid's info email box, but I haven't heard back in a few days. I thought I'd post it here and see what everyone thinks. 

I have a Total Bithead that I use for cleaning up the sound from my crappy work computer. I would like to be able to use my ZO to do it's magic, but still use the Total Bithead as a DAC.

MizMoxie stated that feeding the ZO a signal from an amp could cause damage to the ZO. Is there a way to do this safely?

As an update to this topic, I got a reply from Cindy at digiZoid. Here's what she had to say:

Hello Ross,  
I apologize for my delayed response, but I am not technical and had to pass your question to an engineer. He reported that you can use the Total Bithead, just be sure to turn the volume down on the Bithead. Also, you could try using ZO2 in low gain mode. 

Hope this helps,

Cindy
digiZoid customer service

I tried both suggestions:

1. Used low gain connected directly to my computer. It was much cleaner. This is definitely a viable option and safer, I think.

2. Used low gain mode on the Total Bithead and high gain on the ZO2. It sounds great. It actually brings out the low bitrate of Pandora. It sounds like minor distortion in the midrange. I tried iTunes and it's so much better. The bottom line is that this setup is just fine, so far. No smoke!. :wink:

May 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #619 of 1,021
I have been a very happy ZO 2.3 user for the past six months, pairing it with my iPhone and Sennheiser IE8 headphones.

I have a small problem though: durable cables or line-out docks (must like long walks on the beach - that is to say I do a lot of walking with music playing).

Already I have exchanged one $80 LOD as its connector was so badly bent askew that it no longer functioned. Moreover I believe ithe sound produced by way of this chain to be far too digital, with lesser impact, which is more or less contradictory to others' experience with the ZO set to low gain mode.

High gain+ standard audio cable produces a better sound but again I have yet to find a cable durable enough to withstand regular pocket-punishment.

I am curious as to what product might offer both the best in audio quality & durability (and whether such a product exists lol).

May 28, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #622 of 1,021
May 28, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #623 of 1,021
Would be interesting to know why ZO2.1 has such a good synergy with M-Audio Q40 headphones, does that extra bit higher gain really make such a difference? I'm always stunned at the vocal and mids clarity & tonality of M-Audio Q40 + ZO2.1. Without amp the headphone is slightly more muffled sounding and with ZO2.3 it's relatively warm and laid-back sounding but with ZO2.1 every detail jumps at my face. I can't believe such a big boost in sound quality using ZO2.1 brings with this particular headphone, with other headphones it works nice with ZO2.3 as well but with this particular headphone there's a clear advantage in using ZO2.1 for some reason.

People say this amp is mostly for fun, well with Q40 it's more of a sound quality booster than "fun" booster as the mids and highs just get that much better sounding as well.

May 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #624 of 1,021
I'm sorry if this question has been asked somewhere sometime before, but where can I buy velcro or a strap/band thingy to attach an amp like the digizoid to my ipod classic? I tried looking on ebay, but I guess I just don't know how to search for it. The only thing I've come across is the strap on ALO's website (http://aloaudio.com/alo-audio-silicone-amp-straps-black-with-logo.html), but shipping is 3x the cost of the strap itself...
blink.gif

May 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #627 of 1,021
Quote:

Thanks for the link, but cheapest shipping method to Canada is still $25
eek.gif
. And I'm starting to think that these bands might be too loose for the slim ZO2 and ipod classic.

I have a Fiio silicone band but just use adhesive velcro for my ZO. Works great. 

May 29, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #629 of 1,021
Hi everybody. My name is Paul and I live in Rome Italy.
I use my ZO2.3 with my apples devices (iphone4, ipad2, ipad3) and I like it very much
smily_headphones1.gif
. The only problem is that the Low Gain (LG) mode has too little gain even at 100% (PURPLE) for apple's line out (may be apple is low on this). So the audio level I can obtain with LOD is really too low for my low impedance Headphones (Sennheiser PX-100 IIi; Bose OE2i; Audio Technica ATH-M50; Jays V-Jays). For a reference, at 100% with LOD and LG, I have the same audio level that I can obtain with HO and LG: it is useless in the real world and I HAVE to use High Gain (HG) with HO
blink.gif
SO I would like to rise the LG mode gain. How can I do?
Happiness, PP.

May 29, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #630 of 1,021
Contact digiZoid, if anything can be done, they would be the place to start. Also, maybe bi-amping your source with two ZO2's would allow for your low gain first one with an LOD and the second one on high gain
Quote:
Hi everybody. My name is Paul and I live in Rome Italy.
I use my ZO2.3 with my apples devices (iphone4, ipad2, ipad3) and I like it very much
smily_headphones1.gif
. The only problem is that the Low Gain (LG) mode has too little gain even at 100% (PURPLE) for apple's line out (may be apple is low on this). So the audio level I can obtain with LOD is really too low for my low impedance Headphones (Sennheiser PX-100 IIi; Bose OE2i; Audio Technica ATH-M50; Jays V-Jays). For a reference, at 100% with LOD and LG, I have the same audio level that I can obtain with HO and LG: it is useless in the real world and I HAVE to use High Gain (HG) with HO
blink.gif
SO I would like to rise the LG mode gain. How can I do?
Happiness, PP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back