digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
Apr 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #346 of 1,021
I got this silly idea running in my mind right now, what would it sound like with 2 ZOs in a row? BASS OVERLOAD? Not sure I want to try if there's any risk of damaging the components (as I don't know how it's really configured).

As a triple ZO owner I could even do ZO1 + ZO2 + ZO2.3 but NO I'm not gonna test but at the same time for the sake of science it's very very tempting haha.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #347 of 1,021
My friend is planning on getting a ZO2 very soon, so i will have to try it out.

Quote:
I got this silly idea running in my mind right now, what would it sound like with 2 ZOs in a row? BASS OVERLOAD? Not sure I want to try if there's any risk of damaging the components (as I don't know how it's really configured)

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #349 of 1,021
So I couldn't resist... took the ZO2.3 and ZO1 AND XB500 (ZO2.1 is my fav so didn't wanna try it with that one)... and put ZO2.3 first in low gain and then into ZO1.... the basspower is unreal haha. xD

Funny thing it doesn't even clip with bass but my source volume is also very low.

The bass is giving me some serious "feel-the-bass pressure bass" with mids/highs volume being very low even, now the expression 2 subs strapped to your ears is really a fitting description as I was tweaking my dolby headphone config using my cheap X-530 5.1 speaker set the other day when I had to put the ear next to the sub to avoid disturbing the other ppl in the house, well this sounds pretty much the same.

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #351 of 1,021
Apr 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #352 of 1,021

Quote:
hahaha epic :p

The bass power even surpasses easily the X-530 subwoofer... no kidding... listening to hardstyle with this config and every basskick sends a heavy brainmassage/vibration/ear-tickling feeling, yet the bass response remains a lot tighter sounding than on the 5.25" sub which is just a muddy mess.

Funny thing desptie the way overpowered bass, the vocals still sounds very clear and pretty much untouched, just not so loud (not so suprising as XB500 has like 15dB bass boost over the midrange for starters, then add 2 ZOs on top of that...) Very impressive! I'm shocked in that regard, ZO really handles bass nicely for sure.

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #353 of 1,021
what colors you using? Might have to buy another ZO2

Quote:
So I couldn't resist... took the ZO2.3 and ZO1 AND XB500 (ZO2.1 is my fav so didn't wanna try it with that one)... and put ZO2.3 first in low gain and then into ZO1.... the basspower is unreal haha. xD

Funny thing it doesn't even clip with bass but my source volume is also very low.

The bass is giving me some serious "feel-the-bass pressure bass" with mids/highs volume being very low even, now the expression 2 subs strapped to your ears is really a fitting description as I was tweaking my dolby headphone config using my cheap X-530 5.1 speaker set the other day when I had to put the ear next to the sub to avoid disturbing the other ppl in the house, well this sounds pretty much the same.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #354 of 1,021

Quote:
what colors you using? Might have to buy another ZO2

I'm currently listening with around yellow range on both, I tried going red briefly, didn't make it a whole lot bassier, a little for sure, it seems it makes a lot bigger difference with the last/second ZO in the chain, the ZO2.3 in low gain provides a lot less of a bass response change than the second ZO, ZO1 in this case but it's quite expected. I don't either think it would be good at all to run both ZOs with high gain so at least one of them has to be put into low gain for sure to avoid too loud output/hot signal and it makes obviously more sense to put the first ZO in low gain to not feed too strong signal to the 2nd ZO.

Next I'll try with my cheap Philips headphones that has bass quantity equal to AD700 or something, ie almost non-existant, tin-can sounding and see what it does to this headphone :p

EDIT: Seems like I turned my Philips very basshy headphones to abo XB500 headphones lol. There's a bit noise from the drivers struggling, but not too bad and it's mostly there with deep basstones (the driver doesn't handle deep bass very well for starters). That I'm running both ZOs with max contour level and onboard realtek chip at 30% vol I'll say that's pretty satisfactory result haha. Believe it or not but the Philips sounds quite nice like this except for the slight noise from struggling drivers. If lowering the bass contour levels a little, say around yellow the bass clipping / noise in the bass disappears completely though and the bass is still very strong for this heaphone (maybe around XB500 levels or close) but the mids and highs remain a bit clearer though.

EDIT: Very impressed how it sounds like with these cheap but otherwise very clear and neutral sounding philips headphones except for the rolled-off bass when set ZO2.3 to green + ZO1 to yellow which takes care of the bass and make it basshead worthy even. I didn't think the day would come when I'd be tapping my foot & headbanging to hardstyle with the basslightest headphone I've tried.

EDIT: It's actually amazing how I started enjoying the quite cheap Philips headphones with double ZO-powered. :) They have a very large and airy soundstage due to semi-open design (actually more like open as the seal is extremely poor) but have always sounded very lifeless with little dynamicness and laid-back. With 2x ZO they sound very engaging while keeping an awesome large soundstage.

I'm seriously thinking about picking up a pair of AKG K550... I'd believe with ZO double-amped would sound pretty much what I've been looking for. M-Audio Q40 are excellent except I wouldn't say no to more airier soundstage and more forward and detailed lower-midrange especially which is exactly what AKG K550 should bring.

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #357 of 1,021

Quote:
I'm planning on buy the ZO2.3 at the end of the month but can't find it on Amazon UK & Advanced mp3 don't have in stock.Anyone know where l can get it in the U.K ?

you can't you got 2 choices:
-Try finding a used one like I did on here
-Buy DIRECTLY off their website, they post internationally.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #359 of 1,021
I guess shipping from Oz must be so expensive it wasnt worth sending it in for warranty?

Quote:
My ZO2 died months ago - refused to recharge so I just threw it in the bin. Cheap and nasty - lesson learned. 

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #360 of 1,021
I couldnt have been bothered, particularly given the number of tries it took Digizoid to fix the problems with the first two batches. It was cheap, I got burnt and I wont be buying any of their products again - simple. 

Other side of the coin is that my E9 has never let me down, while others have had horror stories with Fiio products - luck of the draw. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back