DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread
Sep 16, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #331 of 605
Small update re: IEMs.

I sent my ZO back to get the freezing issue resolved, and received some other changes as well. The distracting ticks I noted every 2-3 seconds with super sensitive IEMs have been completely eliminated. I can finally recommend the FS to my IEM-using friends!

Will post another update once I've had more time to review the other changes.

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #332 of 605
OK, so. I have ZO2.2(?) wich has hissing issues (coupled with some static noises). So all I care about is the bass.

I want that to be my reaction when I listen with it (with b added). I'd use it on my XB1000s and PC (portable setup is just IE80s). So how does the low bass improve? As I understand mids and highs got improved with SS and SQ. But I want it to be fun without mudding everything up. Also, have all the kinks been solved now? I liked my 2.2 so I didn't RMA it but I'd rather get the good stuff right away since you know, shipping to Finland ain't cheap.

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #333 of 605
Listen to the samples I posted. If you have a good amp already, it should reproduce what the ZO will sound like pretty well.

OK, so. I have ZO2.2(?) wich has hissing issues (coupled with some static noises). So all I care about is the bass.

I want that to be my reaction when I listen with it (with b added). I'd use it on my XB1000s and PC (portable setup is just IE80s). So how does the low bass improve? As I understand mids and highs got improved with SS and SQ. But I want it to be fun without mudding everything up. Also, have all the kinks been solved now? I liked my 2.2 so I didn't RMA it but I'd rather get the good stuff right away since you know, shipping to Finland ain't cheap.

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #334 of 605
  Listen to the samples I posted. If you have a good amp already, it should reproduce what the ZO will sound like pretty well.

While it will give you a general idea of how it will sound, from our experience, recordings only give about 60% of the overall "effect". Having the right hardware is extremely important for proper reproduction, and while a good amp will help, there are other hardware-related trade secrets that can make all the difference. It's one of reasons why we haven't done a software implementation of SmartVektor. :wink:

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #335 of 605

While it will give you a general idea of how it will sound, from our experience, recordings only give about 60% of the overall "effect". Having the right hardware is extremely important for proper reproduction, and while a good amp will help, there are other hardware-related trade secrets that can make all the difference. It's one of reasons why we haven't done a software implementation of SmartVektor. :wink:

I'm curious to know more! It's all just an analog audio signal in the end, I'd think that so long as there is no clipping/distortion during recording or playback, it should accurately reproduce it, other than whatever minor coloring the extra ADC/DAC step adds.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #336 of 605
  I'm curious to know more! It's all just an analog audio signal in the end, I'd think that so long as there is no clipping/distortion during recording or playback, it should accurately reproduce it, other than whatever minor coloring the extra ADC/DAC step adds.

Whenever Paul explains it to someone, he always uses the analogy of making cookies (i know it sounds strange, but bear with me). The core ingredients for every chocolate chip cookie recipe is fundamentally the same - flour, sugar, chocolate chips, etc. But, the proportion of ingredients you use, in what order you add them, the temperature you bake them at and for how long you bake them can all make a HUGE difference in the final result.

So in the case of SmartVektor, the core ingredients are pretty common - using amps, filters, etc. to add bass & treble. BUT, the types of filters used, the order in which they're placed in the circuitry, the characteristics of the amps employed, and the way in which the power is delivered are just a few of variables that make SmartVektor sound as it does.

When it comes to playback of a track recorded through the ZO, the most significant factor that affects the reproduced sound is the type of power used and how it's delivered. We've built prototypes using a wide variety of different amps, and each one sounds noticeably different. One of the reasons why is due to the amp's current drive capability. Good bass reproduction needs lots of current (see http://digizoid.com/blog/zo-showdown-which-has-best-bass/ ). The damping factor (which is a function of the amp's output impedance), also has an impact. Not to mention many other variables like the process technology of the amp (whether it's CMOS or Bipolar), its slew rate... and I could go on and on. So long story short, the amplifier in the Smartphone or computer used for playback will make a big difference. The impact won't be there. This is also why we decided not to put sound clips on our website like we have in the past - because they may not have always given people the right impression. Now I'm not entirely sure of that, but that was just our general feeling based on some feedback we received. Who knows, maybe it did more good than bad... 
confused.gif

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #337 of 605
Quick question: are the FS+ still shipping or waiting for new stock?

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #342 of 605
Why are there no reviews or comparisons or anything.  I would like to pair something to the fiio x1 and the dimensions of this is perfect.  Anyone?  Mrs. Moxie I need some insensitive here.  Is everyone blinded by the light of sony x7?

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #343 of 605
  Why are there no reviews or comparisons or anything.  I would like to pair something to the fiio x1 and the dimensions of this is perfect.  Anyone?  Mrs. Moxie I need some insensitive here.  Is everyone blinded by the light of sony x7?

I think usually people with attitudes and credibility to write a good review and/or comparison don’t focus on this kind of device (Fun, Boosted, Unnatural,  Artificial, EQ, ETC…) they tend to like transparent sound signatures.
If you think about it, ZO market should be more like “Beats” Market maybe?
I have the ZO FS and I enjoy it a lot, but I have other regular (more transparent) portable amplifiers that I enjoy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back