Digital Piano Headphones
Jun 9, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AT83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really the drivers so much as the ear pads. In my aviation experience the second comfort factor is having your entire ear fit in the space inside the ear pad rather than having the pad rest on the ear. My ear becomes sore after a while being pressed on by the pad. The first comfort factor for me is clamping force and then third is equal weight distribution on the headpad.

Okay, I gotcha. What you're mentioning is the on-ear design such as Grado. the K501 is an over-ear headphone. So nothing will be pressing against your ear.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #17 of 41
I'll vote for HD650. It is much more comfortable than AKG's for long term use (assume you practice for a long time)

I also have a digital piano but my solution is just turn down the volume (sounds crappy anyway compared real piano :p)

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 41
I think both the HD600 and HD650 are really out of my price range. I've been trying to locate a reasonably priced K501 but there aren't any on ebay or head-fi at the moment.

Thanks for the additional vote for something in my price range, but I don't think I want to end up with a "honky" piano sound either.

I find that Beyerdynamic has used DT770s on ebay for 99 plus shipping. They do have new leather earpads which might be nice. Would these be adequate for my DP, affordable and comfortable for my use since I can't seem to find any K501s at the moment and these used DT770s would be right at my original budget?

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #19 of 41
I really like the K501's ear pads, they are huge so there is space for your ears (I made the reverse mistake to you thinking the k271 MKII's would be the same size but they are much smaller like the k240 and squash my ears a bit). The ear pads also seem to keep your head cool unlike most other headphones and the sound is great!

I've not tried the DT770 but from what i've read they arent worth getting unless you get the 2005 consumer edition

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #20 of 41
No luck finding K501s used on the web yet. Anyone have some they'd like to sell??

Another question: Will the AKG K501s require some sort of amplifier or will my Roland Dp990 be adequate all by itself?

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AT83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No luck finding K501s used on the web yet. Anyone have some they'd like to sell??

Another question: Will the AKG K501s require some sort of amplifier or will my Roland Dp990 be adequate all by itself?

While the AKG K501 is excellent for listening to orchestral sounds in particular, they are a little light in the bass region in comparison to many other headphones and this is something that you may well notice even more if your electric piano is a good'n.

You may start playing with a heavier left hand in order to compensate for a slight lack of bass weight.

Has anyone else noticed this with 501's on digital piano?

Ian

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #23 of 41
I had high hopes today. I headed to Sam Ash thinking that they might have some AKG phones to try out since they carry them online. I found a supplier that has the K701 for $250 which from the reviews seems to be very similar to the K501 and also available. They didn't have any AKGs in the store, but did have a Senn HD280 that sounded completely fine to me with an FP7. It's hard to trust yourself when you only listen to one headphone and don't have anything to compare to. I didn't think that it sounded honky but again didn't have anything to reference.

I don't know if it's the feeling of weight from having so many choices available or if it's the fact that some choices could really hurt the checkbook, but this has been a challenge. I have to go back to work tomorrow and will have some time to think stuff through. I may check in from the road though to see if anyone has any thoughts.

Specifically looking for thoughts on K601 (205), K701 (250), ATH AD700 (90) and Senn HD555 (90) with a digital piano if anyone has any more help. Everyone's comments so far are really appreciated! Thank you all!

AT83

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #24 of 41
I play my digital piano with DT880's and it sounds pretty good to me. I use Ivory piano software which is a great piece of software recorded from real pianos with each key having been recorded at different stroke force.
I haver my Mac connected to my Clavinova. Ivory piano software however requires an external dedicated drive using firewire. It is demanding on the hardware but it is worth it. The DT880's sound quite realistic that way.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #25 of 41
To fit your price range a bit more, i would suggest the sennheiser 595's or 555's. 595's would be better but if you can't find a pair within your price range on ebay or something, then the 555's won't steer you wrong. amazon has 595's new for around 150.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
501/48

I don't think the DT48 would be good for digital piano as the soundstage is too narrow IMO. I like it when it sounds like I'm playing piano in a room, not a box so to speak.
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the DT48 would be good for digital piano as the soundstage is too narrow IMO. I like it when it sounds like I'm playing piano in a room, not a box so to speak.
tongue.gif

I just want the piano to sound right regardless of the room or box I'm in.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #29 of 41
guys.. hes having trouble finding the K501s. correct me if im wrong, but arent they discontinued?

in any case, OP you might not like the HD595s because the sound stage is somewhat narrow. this is speaking from experience. i dont really play piano, but judging by the comments it sounds like both sound stage and separation are important.

the audio technica ATH-AD700s you listed arent a bad choice. i did a ton of research on those because i was going to buy a pair for someone. from what i have read, they have a great sound stage and good instrument separation. they are great for their price tag. although a lot of people reported a plasticky sound with the AD700s.

also in regards to the K501, i remember reading here that someone stated the K601s are similiar in sound to the K501s. i know they cost a lot brand new, but used they go for around 150ish here.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #30 of 41
I use a Sennheiser 555 with a Yamaha P-90 (which doesn't that so bad
wink.gif
), and I'm satisfied with it. I bought this headphone along with the piano, on the advice of the seller. I recently tried my AKG K 1000 + AudioValve MKII on the piano, since I lent the Sennheiser to a friend, and to my surprise I didn't think it was much better. Needless to say the K1000 is far superior to the HD 555, but for that particular use, I don't need the quality of the K1000. Now I guess your Roland sound better, and I haven't tried with samples from a software on a PC, maybe that would change things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back