Digital Piano Headphones
Jun 12, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #31 of 41
Thanks everyone for the responses. I am thinking really hard about K702/K701. Since I hope to have this musical setup for a while I might as well go big right?? ($240 for K701 shipped, watching some Ebay auctions to see if I can get K702/K701 for $240 or less)

Any other thoughts on something easily accessible for $240 or less that would be good with a digital piano or have we completely exhausted this topic?

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AT83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone for the responses. I am thinking really hard about K702/K701. Since I hope to have this musical setup for a while I might as well go big right?? ($240 for K701 shipped, watching some Ebay auctions to see if I can get K702/K701 for $240 or less)

Any other thoughts on something easily accessible for $240 or less that would be good with a digital piano or have we completely exhausted this topic?

A few members of more experience said that the K701's tonality is actually off when a/bed with a K501. You should definitely read about the two as I only had extensive experience with the K501.

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #33 of 41
Ok, I lost my ebay auctions and so I am now fully resolved to have the K501. I see that one is on the for sale board today which might be good for me but I also found 2 US dealers and 1 UK dealer that look like they might have one or two new ones. Sadly all of those folks want big bucks for them. Maybe those used ones will work out for me, maybe I'll spend the big bucks for some new ones. I'll keep everyone posted.

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #34 of 41
IMO, the $200 asking price for the K501 in the FS forum's a bit high as I bought mine for only $170 considering that it was pretty much new. Perhaps you can pm the seller and ask him if he would do $170?

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #35 of 41
Finally, after a lengthy search and three dealers phoned that had K501s listed on their website... I have ordered my AKG K501s from Spearit Sound Home Page
Hopefully they'll be here by Friday before UPS shuts down for the weekend. I can't wait! Thanks to everyone that helped me in this search.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #36 of 41
get back to us after youve tried them, Im very interested seeing how you like them

btw: remember that headphones take like 10-30 hour to break in I would leave them on overnight with your piano.

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #37 of 41
I picked up my AKG K501s last night. Sadly by the time I got home it was quite late and I had some work to do on my schedule for July. I need to get that right, it would be terrible if I had to work during my wedding and honeymoon.

I did spend about 30 minutes playing with the AKG K501s on my Roland DP-990. I also switched back and forth to my David Clark headset. The sound is incredible. Instead of sounding like a distant piano, or somewhat muffled, it sounds like it is right there in front of me. Without having spent much time trying to figure out if there were any weak spots in the range I just played some of my favorites. The sound is full and rich, the octaves on either side of middle C (where most playing is anyway) sound really wonderful and there is no issue with a lack of Bass for my piano. The onboard headphone amp must also be adequate to power these headphones. I am comfortable at just over 50% with a fan going in the room making noise behind me. I bet 50% would be adequate without the external noise. My only issue is coming up a way to keep the cord out of my way. I think I'm going to steal the cord clip off of my David Clarks so I can clip the cord to my shirt in the middle of my chest and then out of the way over my left leg.

Thanks to everyone that contributed once again. My wallet smarts a little bit (207 shipped) but the sound seems like it is everything that I could ask for.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #38 of 41
An important question is what keyboard you're using. Almost all keyboards are really lacking in sound quality as a result of the samples and interpolation method used. So nothing you put after that is going to help.

If you're using the onboard keyboard sound spending over $100 on phones is fairly pointless imo. On the other hand, if you're using something awesome like The Grand (cubase) the sky is really the limit. Personally I like the hd650 as it gives appropriate weight to the piano.

EDIT - grados would be a really really bad choice
I know this is old, but Grado has been my go to for piano. I think they are fantastic.

May 23, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #39 of 41
Resurrecting again...

I just bought a Roland FP-30 digital piano, and wanted to see what amps people were using. Most of my headphones sound great, but I think the volume can be just a tad higher. I already have a Schiit Modi Magni stack at work, but wanted something for the piano. I was thinking of just getting another Magni, but wanted something smaller, and maybe cheaper. Also, would love to have AC powered one, but most are battery portable amps (although you can keep the usb charger plugged in).

Also wanted to see if any new headphones are worth using for the piano. I'm leaning towards Senn 600/650, or just fixing my DT 770-80 ohm. My IEM Tenore's are good and very lightweight as well.

May 31, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #40 of 41
For a piano?  HD6x0 are worthwhile indeed.  I love HD650 in particular, go for it if you can.  DT770pro80 is okay.  I'd say that those Senns are probably overkill, unless you intend to use them with regular music listening as well, they are quite fantastic.  HD558, SRH840, K553, and the Akai MPC headphone are other good options as well that I recommend for a piano-exclusive headphone.  Or regular listening, too.
Amp-wise, a second Magni should do.  Velcro it to the underside of the piano, haha!  If you want something even more compact, it will have to be a portable.  The Neco Soundlab Portable v5 features superb fidelity and very long battery life.
I use my old KICAS amp with my Kross.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back