digg = on fire!
May 4, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #46 of 58
Forgetting all the legal issues for a moment, what I find entertaining is the battle between those who would seek to protect the content and those who are challenged to find a way around it. Maybe I'm just easily amused, but I do love watching this back and forth. The industry comes up with new security measures and it's simply throwing down the gaunlet to those who get off on breaking through those measures. I just love it.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

May 4, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgetting all the legal issues for a moment, what I find entertaining is the battle between those who would seek to protect the content and those who are challenged to find a way around it. Maybe I'm just easily amused, but I do love watching this back and forth. The industry comes up with new security measures and it's simply throwing down the gaunlet to those who get off on breaking through those measures. I just love it.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Heheheh. It can be entertaining, but frustrating at the same time. We are witnessing a "cold war" when it comes to music. Two sides with stalwart and ill-advised positions and absolutely no room to budge. Those that find alternatives are quashed promptly.

SP, you have no idea how much I appreciate your posts, there are no words to describe it. For such a hot topic it seems next to impossible to find intelligent discourse - and your thoughts on the matter are certainly intelligent. I also "try before I buy", so to speak, if that will give you a better perspective of my own habits and possibly where my ideals bend.

I would like nothing more than to see the complete downfall of the RIAA... and piracy. Do I think that's going to happen, well, no.

BUT!

Like many things, if you return the balance of power, you eliminate the need for such absurdly polarized views. Think of it like the musical equivalent of prohibition: Abolish it and, not only will you eliminate the criminal element (since it can be bought fairly and legally), but you also foster safety (regulation), trust (police state is eliminated) and an economic boon (tax income).

It's not much of an analogy, but I hope you get my drift.

May 4, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is happening is that the **AA is trying to justify their extortion with stupid laws, and no one has the power or the motivation to take a stand against them.
mad.gif

Truth.

I've never understood the desire by some to defend corporations that don't give two $hites about them.

May 4, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GV, thanks for entering into a dialog with me. I love dialogs!

First of all, my claim that music is integral to human life stems from recently published articles that delve into what, exactly, was at play in shaping human beings into the music lovers that we tend to be. See this one for example.

I do view music as a fundamental right for human beings. However, in the same way that access to water should be a basic right, this does not at all mean that compensation for access isn't appropriate and necessary. You can either dig the well yourself or compensate someone to do it for you. So with music.

Just to be clear, I admire the wily antics and philosophical expression of the people over at The Pirate Bay. However, subscribing to the idea that music should be free is pretty dumb. Maybe if the world had taken a different course, but we are where we are, and you gotta pay for stuff here. I myself download a fair amount of music (I'll let you infer the methods). What I like, I buy in CD form. What I dislike, I delete or forget about completely.

In a Clear Channel landscape where Internet radio might soon be going the way of the dinosaur, how is it exactly that I'm supposed to hear music that I might actually want to buy? I haven't--and I kid you not--listened to FM radio (other than NPR and Howard Stern) since 2003. Not a second of it. I can't say I don't listen to top 40 material because I honestly don't even know what it is anymore. I suspect I don't even come close.

Judging by the tone the RIAA has created in the past few years, I feel like I wouldn't be far off in speculating that my finding music without the RIAA's guidance is, in and of itself, a threat to the beloved entity. The correlation between RIAA sales being down and file sharing being up does not prove causation. Could it be that as the RIAA tried to force feed consumers that which made the RIAA money, a substantial number of consumers simply lost interest? Now with the Internets, all of a sudden we can find music we actually like, and so we do. And then RIAA sales drop even more, and it clamps down even harder, and even more people lose interest in its offerings.

Real music is a product of human culture and is not the cold, stale product that the RIAA wants it to be. I truly feel like reducing it to mere entertainment is in error; music is not Mission Impossible 2. I don't feel entertained when I listen to music. I feel like a part of myself is awakened. Music hits a spot in me like nothing else can. That's evidence enough to me that music is not something to be body slammed down our throats like everything else we consume. It is something to take natural shape as innovators and listeners change over time. I think we should be able to exert some influence on what it is, and I think the RIAA would much prefer that we get on board and listen to the same 40 songs as everyone else.

The music landscape is like a diverse creek running through the woods. This creek naturally carves out new paths for itself, sometimes changing directions completely, sometimes forking off in two different directions at once. The RIAA has tried to tend the banks all along, and became remarkably adept at it prior to the coming of the Internet as we know it today. This new scene is like a new fork in the creek, obviously with some serious rapids. The RIAA seems to be responding by erecting concrete barriers to keep the creek running straight, narrow, boring and under its control. People may continue to buy music while rafting their way down snore creek, but the cultural significance of music is sapped away for the benefit of, as you said, the RIAA's coffers.

You bring up some good questions. Compensation is key. I also won't delude myself--I'm sure there are plenty of people out there just plain stealing music. But as I've said before, a stolen file does not necessarily translate into a lost sale. And in many cases, a temporarily borrowed (
smily_headphones1.gif
) file does turn into a sale.

The RIAA's members may have once played a critical role in disseminating music, but they have since turned into a cold, faceless corporate conglomerate. They took their collective finger off the pulse. If the RIAA falls apart tomorrow music stands absolutely no chance of going with it. As I said, the RIAA didn't invent music. Music will be around as long as there are people. And if the RIAA disappears or is at least weakened to the point where it is no longer able to push politicians to push its agenda, the playing field suddenly gets a lot greener for everyone else. This isn't going to magically happen if everyone stops paying for music, but with the Internet and file sharing suddenly I get to chase down, for example, bands like Destroyer. After a few downloaded albums I promptly bought his entire discography straight from Merge. This system has an incredibly broad reach and creates a much more level playing field than corporate radio. I think it should be obvious even to the most casual observer that this is what the RIAA fears most.

Awesome post Superpredator!! I agree with it 110%. Precisely my thoughts and feelings.

May 4, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like many things, if you return the balance of power, you eliminate the need for such absurdly polarized views. Think of it like the musical equivalent of prohibition: Abolish it and, not only will you eliminate the criminal element (since it can be bought fairly and legally), but you also foster safety (regulation), trust (police state is eliminated) and an economic boon (tax income).

It's not much of an analogy, but I hope you get my drift.

I think you're definitely onto something here. As we wait (and wait
plainface.gif
) for a balance to reemerge, the dichotomy of frustrating/entertaining will have to be enough to get us through. Well, that and good music.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #51 of 58
I don't see this issue as two-sided. It usually gets framed as a fight between giving the RIAA everything they want and outright piracy. Say what you will about the law, but patents and copyright were written into the US Constitution. They do serve a legitimate purpose.

Thing is, you don't have to pay full price for music. I've bought boxes of LPs at thrift stores for a few dollars. I buy used CDs online and at stores. I listen to FM radio, and I also legally download public domain music. I have more than I have time to listen to and it's cheap. I get lots of music, but the RIAA doesn't see my dollars. If you really want to hit the RIAA where it hurts, buy used. Or trade with your friends. 100% legal, 100% ethical and you get lots of music.

May 5, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #52 of 58
Erik, that's kind of the point. The fact that the most vocal people tend to be so far on one side of the argument creates a huge gap and I rarely see constructive discourse, just opposing views. No argument here that copyright laws are important and serve a purpose. Intellectual Property is a good thing, if used only to protect what's yours.

May 6, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thing is, you don't have to pay full price for music. I've bought boxes of LPs at thrift stores for a few dollars. I buy used CDs online and at stores. I listen to FM radio, and I also legally download public domain music. I have more than I have time to listen to and it's cheap. I get lots of music, but the RIAA doesn't see my dollars. If you really want to hit the RIAA where it hurts, buy used. Or trade with your friends. 100% legal, 100% ethical and you get lots of music.

I'm not going to read into this one at all. But you might find it interesting: New laws create second-hand woes for CD retailers.

(via Digg) http://www.digg.com/music/New_Laws_C...e_of_Used_CD_s

May 6, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #55 of 58
May 6, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever feel it's a losing battle?

I think the RIAA is the one fighting a losing battle, as evidenced by (what seems to be) their latest tactic, which smacks terrifically of grasping at straws. I just wish more people acknowledged that it is in fact a battle, gray area notwithstanding.

Anyone else catch this one? http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/2007/05/01_nesson.php

May 7, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #57 of 58
The string of numbers is not illegal. I could use a 32 bit random number generator and get that number. You can not claim a number as a DRM breaking scheme because the number itself does nothing. A program that uses the code to dycrypt a HD-DVD is illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back