Different sound signature when K701 are pressed in
Oct 16, 2011 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Seamless Sounds

Previously known as HeadFi Fanatic
I noticed a huge difference in sound signature when I press the cups in closer to my ears. It went from being anemic and trebly to a well balanced sound, revealing details and what not. Midrange and the upper bass area was an improvement. The music sounds closer (obviously lol), so it doesn't sound like I'm sitting way in the back. I'm guessing people with smaller heads will find them anemic especially when they're new (stiff cups, ears further away from the drivers). Over time, as you continuously wear it, the foam begins to compress (burn-in?).  With that said I'm trying to figure out a way to compress the foam. Any idea how to achieve this? My head won't do; besides, using a big head-like contraption is only going to bend the headband outwards, not compress the foam.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 4
This is the problem with velour, it's comfortable but doesn't give you a very tight seal. The tighter the seal the greater the bass.

I have seen people compress pads by placing a CD case on the pads which is attached via an elastic band, this way it doesn't alter the headphone band.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 4
That must be one strong elastic band. I don't have anything of that sort. Ah why didn't I think of it. The earcups are removable. I don't know if it'll stay permanent that way if I apply pressure for many hours, but it's worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back