Different Memory Foram Tips in Shure SE215/SE425? Whats the difference?
Dec 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BaTou069

500+ Head-Fier
I'm already an owner of the Shure SE425 model and just purchased the less advanced SE215 that is supposed to sound more fun and bassy.

I directly saw, that the SE215s' memoryfoam eartips/sleeves have some kind of grill inside, the SE425s' don't.

What is it good for? How does it influence the sound?

Thanks

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 4
Just got my SE846 in the mail (much closer in design to the 425s than the 215s of course, being a balanced armature IEM) and the tips that came with it look like the SE215's tips as shown in your picture. I think Shure just changed the design of newer tips to include a wax guard to protect the headphone. There's likely no perceptible sonic difference.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 4
I noticed that as well, as I had the SE530 from the older generation and have recently got the SE846, that the black foam tips now have the extra wax guard compared to the old ones. From the SE846's promotional photos, the old tips were being used.

I don't know if it was me, but I think the same sized tip with the wax guard is just ever so slightly smaller than the old ones without the wax guard. I use the medium tips with the SE530 and they have a perfect seal. Now with the SE846, I found that with the medium tips, I hear a leakage. The large ones seem to be quite a bit larger, and looks larger than the old ones, in this case (DOH!)

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 4
  I don't know if it was me, but I think the same sized tip with the wax guard is just ever so slightly smaller than the old ones without the wax guard. I use the medium tips with the SE530 and they have a perfect seal. Now with the SE846, I found that with the medium tips, I hear a leakage. The large ones seem to be quite a bit larger, and looks larger than the old ones, in this case (DOH!)

Same here. Using the mediums usually, now it seems like they are too small. So I used the new big ones with the 215.
Wondering if I always used too small ones with the 425, I switched them to the big ones (old ones) and they seemed bigger than the new big ones. But still a good fit, didn't hurt. But I feel them being bigger.
Odd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back