Difference on Pads for SR80i?
Sep 2, 2011 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kawasakiguy37

New Head-Fier
Just picked up a pair of SR 80i's - should I stick with the stock pads or go to something else? I see a lot of people using sennheiser pads, but I want the best performance out of these cans. The stock flat foam pads actually are pretty comfortable, so I dont have any issues with that currently.

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 13
L cush pads all the way.

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 13
How much is the L cush pad? 

Is it as comfortable as the HD414s? My main problem with the stock pads is that the material is rather rough/hot.

Quote:
L cush pads all the way.

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 13
I've got the HD 414's on order for my 325i's since I run them on flats, I hear the sponge material is slightly more
cushy than the stock Grado pad material. If you're finding the stock pads too sweaty and hot then I doubt
the HD 414 will alleviate the issue. Although if you 'quarter mod' them by cutting out a hole in the pad then
I find this helps a little with comfort.

I find the L cush suits the SR80i's perfectly. They sit nicely on your head and provide better ventilation and
most importantly - they open up the sound stage without losing too much low end bass.

Amazon has the L cush for $20

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
How much is the L cush pad? 

Is it as comfortable as the HD414s? My main problem with the stock pads is that the material is rather rough/hot.

The L-cush pads are about $20 and well worth it.  For me they are very comfortable, but YMMV.  I don't use the HD 414 pads; I prefer the sound with the L-cush.

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 13
It's something you have to try for yourself.  Everyone has different opinions on pads.  Personally I find the L-Cush quite comfortable, and I really like the sound.  I lost a little of the bass but gained some sound-stage on my MS1i.  I tried going back to comfies or senn414s and they were worse - so it's bowls for now.

Since then I've added aluminium cups and have some jumbos on the way.  Looking forward to eventually using a wood + aluminium + jumbo combo - and seeing what that does.

If you get the chance to try the L-Cush (bowls), you definitely should - even if it's only to satisfy your curiosity.

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 13
Okay, I'll go to the Grado service centre and ask around.

I quarter modded the stock pads , and they sound a little brighter/cleaner than the stock 414 pads but the 414 pads are definitely a lot more comfortable. 

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
The SR225i has L-Cush/bowl pads right?

Yep.

SR60/SR80/SR125 - Flat pad
SR225/325/RS2/RS1 - L cush
GS1000/PS1000 - G cush big bowls

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 13
thanks man. 

I'll just bring my slightly modded SR60s, compare them with the SR225s, put the SR225 pads on the SR60s and audition the pads.

Fool proof plan :D 

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Im actually looking for a bit more bass....

I find that they respond quite nicely to amplification (desktop amp) - something like the E5 would be the cheapest option, but
I'm not qualified to say whether it might add line noise which can be an issue with some cheaper portable amps.

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 13
TTVJ pads for the win on that one... increases the bass/punch dramatically over the L cush or comfies

Quote:
Im actually looking for a bit more bass....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back