Difference between the Sony V6/7506?
Dec 13, 2003 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Lane03

New Head-Fier
I was just curious what the difference is between these two cans? I often see people refer to them as if they were the same headphones, but it seems the 7506 costs about $20 more? Also, how would you rate the comfort on either/both of these? I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 477, which are being returned due to the fact that I found them terribly uncomfortable for any listening over 15 minutes...

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 23
acutally we do believe they are the same phones..
they use the exactly same casing and drivers... only difference is the red and blue sticker and gold plug on the 7506

V6 came out a very long time ago, and had been discontinued for few years now.. IIRC, 7506 are still being made by sony

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 23
Welcome to Head-Fi!

A quick use of the search function brings up the famous MacDef thread proving once and for all that they are the exact phones.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
biggrin.gif

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...t=v6+same+7506

I own the V6 and the stock pads can get hot after a long listening session.
The Beyer pads are said to help in this regard but I haven't tried this mod myself yet.

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
A quick use of the search function brings up the famous MacDef thread proving once and for all that they are the exact phones.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
biggrin.gif

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...t=v6+same+7506

Those pictures are just hilarious beyond words. I wonder if any other unique specimens have escaped the QC folks over at Sony?

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 23
LOL, that is pretty funny. Ok, last two questions.

How comfortable are these, I realize this is somewhat subjective - but I read that many people found the HD 477/497 to be uncomfortable, but I gave the 477 a shot (due to the great price ($20 shipped). But I couldn't stand them, due to the fact that I found them terribly uncomfortable.

Can the V6/7506 be driven by a portable, or would they need an amp (like the higher end Sennheisers)?

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 23
Thanks for the help. I'm going to see if I can find these locally to make sure i like the comfort level of them, I'd hate to order them online and get stuck with something I found uncomfortable.

Iron_Dreamer, great choice in music. DT: SFAM is one of my favorite albums. I even flew to NY from FL to catch their show there a few years ago.

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 23
v6 are very very easy to drive, even my mz-n10 minidisc recorder drive them prefectly fine with it's 5w/ channel output..
just like all phones, sound improves with an amp
as for comfort, depens on your ear size, they have very soft earpads and dosent put a lot of pressure on your head.. however they stay on top of your ears instead of going around, so if you have small ears, you'r fine

there are also ways to fix that, one of the most popular mod is to put beyer pads on them, from what i heard with beyer pads, they do around your ears instead of going on top....but my friend borrowed my v6s for like 6months now...so i have no way to try out the beyer pad mod -___-

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Lane03

Iron_Dreamer, great choice in music. DT: SFAM is one of my favorite albums. I even flew to NY from FL to catch their show there a few years ago.

Awesome! I saw them here in LA last spring, just after the release of 6DOIT, and it was simply amazing beyond words, I can only imagine your expeince.

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 23
Yeah, it was an awesome show. The reason I decided to fly up is because the 2nd nights show NY and Chicago (only these two cities) would have a "special set list". So I figured if I was flying up, I'd catch both shows. The first show was just like the other shows they did while on tour, but on the 2nd night they ended by playing the entire Metallica: Master of Puppets album. See Picture

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #11 of 23
You lucky punk! The only show I would have wanted to attend more is when they played Maiden's "Number of the Beast" album in it's entirity. I've got a bootleg and some video clips of the MOP show, though. It's still nothing compared to actually being there! I You now have my eternal envy
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

I've heard rumors they may cover the Wall sometime during their next tour...goodie!

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 23
Wow, The Wall would be cool. It seemed like alot to spend to see a concert, but it actually became even more worth it (besides seeing the two excellent shows). While waiting at the airport to fly home I ran into Jordan Rudess (DT keyboardist), very nice guy; we talked for a bit, and got him to sign a cd I had with me. Well, fast foreward 6 months later and they are coming to FL for a show. I sent him an email mentioning that I ran into him at the NY airport and asked if there was anyway to score backstage passes for the FL show. Needless to say, I got to meet the whole band backstage
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #14 of 23
Ya, it really was a stroke of luck. If you want, check that page I linked above tommorow, and I'll upload the rest of the pics I took at the show. Not trying to rub it in or anything... oh who am I kidding
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #15 of 23
The v6 and 7506 ae the SAME excepting: the metal outer layer can(v6 as opposed to 7506 engraved on it), the different plug and the different sticker. Besides these parts, EVERY other part is listed the same with Sony OEM part replacement stock numbers, including the drivers.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back