Didn't like roon, foobar2000 is good, what's better?
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #16 of 79
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #17 of 79
Isn’t all of them using Asio4All now ?

They can use ASIO4ALL if you don't have one from the DAC manufacturer. I will only use ASIO4ALL if my DAC does not have their own ASIO driver, or it is buggy.

Aug 2, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #21 of 79
In for artist cover art or in for sound performances ? Jriver has great visual, but Foobar has better sound performances

Yeah that was kinda it for me. Sure, roon is cool and convenient if your devices support it. But it just didn't seem to be more than a GUI to your own music. Since it has huge metadata I think it should be able to suggest tags and find music that's not tagged properly but it doesn't. And I thought it should be able to create cue files for flac albums, but it doesn't. So despite the nice presentation and some convenience features it falls pretty far short of making me cough up 500 bucks.

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #24 of 79
Thanks guys, I did not know that. I will look into it!

Aug 19, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 79
asio4all is just a wrapper and not a real asio driver, fyi . Your dac manufacturer may have a real asio driver and that should be used. Wasapi event can be used for those dacs that don't have an asio driver with nice results.

FYI @gimmeheadroom , I was a long term foobar fanboy/ user for Win. One thing to try if you have not is the ram playback plugin. Nice sounding upgrade when you load an album into a playlist.

Then I finally tried Jriver, after dismissing it many years ago on the Mac platform. It really is a very good sounding Windows 10 player and to my ears does sound better than foobar. And there are some tricks to get it to sound better than stock once you try it.

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #26 of 79
asio4all is just a wrapper and not a real asio driver, fyi . Your dac manufacturer may have a real asio driver and that should be used. Wasapi event can be used for those dacs that don't have an asio driver with nice results.

FYI @gimmeheadroom , I was a long term foobar fanboy/ user for Win. One thing to try if you have not is the ram playback plugin. Nice sounding upgrade when you load an album into a playlist.

Then I finally tried Jriver, after dismissing it many years ago on the Mac platform. It really is a very good sounding Windows 10 player and to my ears does sound better than foobar. And there are some tricks to get it to sound better than stock once you try it.

Thanks. I won't have any time for a while. Maybe I'll try it later.

Aug 24, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #27 of 79
Windows operating system is the weakest link in computer audio story. High latency and hungry for resources which are not justified for audio processing purpose.
Try a PC with something like Daphile or Volumio or similar linux based optimized environment installed on it, and you'll hear the difference, no matter which player is used under Windows, or how optimized the environment or player are.
The difference will be smaller, however, if there's good reclock implementation somewhere after receiving the USB data.

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #29 of 79
And you take any opinion for granted, and of the people you don't personally know?
No opinion should be taken for granted, whether positive or negative. People hear different things in different systems and surroundings, oppinions often differ.

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #30 of 79
And you take any opinion for granted, and of the people you don't personally know?
No opinion should be taken for granted, whether positive or negative. People hear different things in different systems and surroundings, oppinions often differ.
All the people i know personally that have a service like roon or foobar totals up to zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back