did u finish your steak everytime?
Aug 12, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #17 of 57
i don't always finish my steak. i cut much of the fatty stuff off while i am eating. usually i finish my steaks especially if they're good and cooked as i like them. and i cook or order a portion in accordance with my hunger level.

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #19 of 57
Cutting the fat off? That's where 75% of the flavor is!

Saturday is steak day on virtually every vessel in the Gulf of Mexico (Friday is seafood day), so I get to eat steak fairly often. Usually it is fair to middlin', about a 10-12 oz. portion is common. I've had the best steak of my life out here (on the anchor rig Ocean Baroness, a Diamond Offshore company vessel, melt in your mouth, a medium that was actually cooked medium), and I've had the worst steak of my life out here (on the barge Arapahoe, can't you tell that all this meat is completely freezer-burnt?)

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #20 of 57
biggest I've ever eaten in one sitting was a 34 oz prime rib, done 32 oz a handful of times to, but that was when I was 16-17, now that I'm 50 lb heavier, I can't finish anything bigger then a 24 oz, but i do finish any steak I start

but one steakhouse near me offers a 74 oz prime rib, and I've seen someone wolf it down, but he was a huge guy, my guess would be 6'5" 350-400 lb

another local steakhouse offers a deal, 73 oz prime rib, 2 sides, a stein of beer, and 2 slices of bread, if you can finish it all, your whole party eats for free, and its a damn good piece of prime rib at that

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another local steakhouse offers a deal, 73 oz prime rib, 2 sides, a stein of beer, and 2 slices of bread, if you can finish it all, your whole party eats for free, and its a damn good piece of prime rib at that

I am pretty sure I could do this without too much trouble. The most steak I have eaten in one sitting was 2.5 slabs of prime rib cut about 1.5" thick and cooked just enough so that they were warm in the middle (one of my relatives bet me $50 that he could eat more than I could, I won.)

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #24 of 57
Like Ingo said, I don't see any point in eating past the point where you are comfortable. Why spend the extra money for a bigger steak if it's excruciating to down those last bites?

For myself, a 8 oz steak + sides sounds about right, although I do have a below average appetite.

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #25 of 57
16-18oz is plenty for me. After the beer of course
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

The biggest Ive ever had was a 22 Oz (I think, maybe it was 24?). In Indiana... Unbelievable steaks in that part of the country. I don't know what it is?.... its so smooth, and the flavor/texture is unlilke anything I've ever had here on the west coast. So (for some reason, possibly placebo?) it depends on the grade and where you buy it. I'd like to try Texas too. Its like eating Ahi tuna on Maui, caught locally that afternoon.

I've eaten appetizers that had more meat than an 8oz

Mmmmmmm!!

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as a middle class white male, i feel it's my duty to finish any steak placed in front of me, no matter what the circumstance.

Agreed.

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unbelievable steaks in that part of the country. I don't know what it is?.... its so smooth, and the flavor/texture is unlilke anything I've ever had here on the west coast.

Hooray for 100% corn fed beef! I have been spoiled my entire life as my parents only buy rib eye steaks from the farm about a mile from my house. I have NEVER had a good steak (at least comparred to what I am used to) at a restaurant.

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed.

Thirded. Steak FTW

never had more than a 12 oz though, my parents are cheap and when I eat out alone or with friends I never spend that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back