Did they change fiio E12 bass boost frequency to 100hz instead of sub bass region???
Dec 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JUSTINDTH

Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Over the last few weeks I've been reading review after review of the Fiio E12 and it seems it's what I'm looking for to replace my E11 with my HD600/ipod while I'm roaming around the house. I have been thinking at times when I want to "rock out" that I would love just a tiny little boost in the sub bass regions as I find it sometimes lacking for my punk music depending on my mood. I thought it would be great to get the E12 as reviewers claimed it to have a 20Hz or 40Hz 5db boost. And, it has crossfeed which I have always wanted to try.

So tonight I pull the trigger at headphonebar and order it. After, I realize the specs say 5db @ 100Hz... What the heck? A quick check over at the fiio site shows the same. Did they alter the bass boost frequency region?? I find the bass boost on the E11 too high up in the frequency range for my tastes and it muddies up the sound. I've googled but can't seem to find a definite answer.

Thanks for any input you have!

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 3
This should explain why:

... The bass EQ is basically a sub-bass boost in my review unit (first batch). It starts just under 200Hz and peaks around 25Hz @ 4dB. Due to feedback from the first batch, FiiO has decided to move the boost a bit forward in the frequency so the next / current batch will have a broader boost and peak closer to 70Hz. As far as how much / wide a bass boost should be, it is all about personal preference. I like the sub-bass boost because it adds really solid rumble to the music without adding much coloration into the overall sound, but a broader bass boost can be beneficial if you also want to add warmth to the music.

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for that quote. It is unfortunate news. I do not enjoy the bass boost on my E11 with my HD600, so I leave it off. I find the HD600 more than capable in the higher bass frequencies and that the E11 boost muddies the sound slightly. I got caught up with hype from the reviews I read of what I guess was only an initial batch. Sadly this purchase could have been easily avoided had I checked the specs on Fiio's websites rather than trusting reviews made back in may and june. Should a company not add revision numbers or something to their products if they decide to change them along the way?

I'll hold my judgement until I get the product in the mail though. Perhaps I will enjoy the boost and find it to be more refined. And if not, maybe someone will trade me their early production model? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back