Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Oct 17, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #965 of 1,046
Surprised nobody has noticed the cable design yet.

While searching for he-90's cable capacitance I reencountered this:
http://app.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/old_manual.nsf/resources/ORPHEUS_HE_90_GB.pdf/$File/ORPHEUS_HE_90_GB.pdf

HE-90's diaphragm was already gold plated.

HE-90 had wood earpieces and glass stators, while the new orpheus' earpieces seem to be made from machined aluminum or some metal alloy and its stators from some kind of ceramic.

Is there a ceramic compound or ceramic production process that yields lower rejection than quartz glass with better rigidity, thinness and surface quality?

Is the "ultra-high impulse fidelity patented amplifier stage" a switching amplifier?

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #966 of 1,046
I have compared both Stax 009 und Orpheus in my system: lampizator big 7, ayon odin 3 and LST with 2 outputs for HE90 and stax.
The good thing is, that i am comparing 2 HP on the same system. I know from my very good friend that if you compare orpheus he-90 + HEV90 to stax 009 and lets say 727 the orpheus is much mooore better.
I found the HE90 to be better than stax in every category. Better scene, with excellent instrument separation, it feels like you sit in 3-5 row, by stax like you sit 1m in front of the musicions. The highs. Hmm, well by stax if you get the wrong recording it can be toothpain experiance (especially if you have newer stax sn 3..., the old one 1... are not so shiny). By orpheus you hear even more, but without sibbilants. It is never uncomftable. And the Bass. Well as i have do not hear any electronic music i can only say something to double bass or drums. And here i find orpheus has more texture and detail. Both HP goes deep enough for unplagged music.
I do not know better HP for instrumental as Orpheus and i hope the new one is better.

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #967 of 1,046
I have compared both Stax 009 und Orpheus in my system: lampizator big 7, ayon odin 3 and LST with 2 outputs for HE90 and stax.
The good thing is, that i am comparing 2 HP on the same system. I know from my very good friend that if you compare orpheus he-90 + HEV90 to stax 009 and lets say 727 the orpheus is much mooore better.
I found the HE90 to be better than stax in every category. Better scene, with excellent instrument separation, it feels like you sit in 3-5 row, by stax like you sit 1m in front of the musicions. The highs. Hmm, well by stax if you get the wrong recording it can be toothpain experiance (especially if you have newer stax sn 3..., the old one 1... are not so shiny). By orpheus you hear even more, but without sibbilants. It is never uncomftable. And the Bass. Well as i have do not hear any electronic music i can only say something to double bass or drums. And here i find orpheus has more texture and detail. Both HP goes deep enough for unplagged music.
I do not know better HP for instrumental as Orpheus and i hope the new one is better.

This is very encouraging for the " new" orpheus :)

By the way I see you changed your TotalDAC for a Lampizator ! Why ? Is it a real " step up " in SQ ?

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #968 of 1,046
As i am not yet ready with confuguration of my server i can not tell how much better lampizator is, but it is (in my system). As soon as i am ready my server will upsample all the files to DSD 256. And DSD on lampi is really something.  It is SET DHT and it sounds this way. Very dense, with huge space. It is a perfect  source for Stax 009.

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #969 of 1,046

Good points. Totally agreed. Anybody wants a try please click:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782207/sennheiser-orpheus-he90-hev90-system

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #974 of 1,046
(...) Class A MOSFET high-voltage amplifiers. These are integrated directly into the cups of the headphones (...)
(...)
(...) amplifier stage in the headphones increases efficiency by 200% over other currently available sound reproduction equipment.
(...) 99.9% silver-plated cables, chosen for optimum conductivity
(...)

http://www.sennheiser-reshapingexcellence.com/en/press

Does the integrated amplifier stage explain the cable choice?

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #975 of 1,046
Does the integrated amplifier stage explain the cable choice?

-That it does. If the high-voltage signal to swing the diaphragm is generated in the earcups themselves, the cable only carries DC and a low-level signal, and any (reasonable) capacitance will carry that with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back