Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Oct 20, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #976 of 1,046

-That it does. If the high-voltage signal to swing the diaphragm is generated in the earcups themselves, the cable only carries DC and a low-level signal, and any (reasonable) capacitance will carry that with no problems.

Sounds pretty dangerous...

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #977 of 1,046
Does the integrated amplifier stage explain the cable choice?

http://www.sennheiser-reshapingexcellence.com/en/press

wow. missed that.  So this new headphone is kinda "active" with integrated amplifiers in the cups . 
blink.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #978 of 1,046
  Sounds pretty dangerous...

-Not any more so than having the high-voltage signal travel all the way from the amplifier through a cable, then do its thing on the diaphragms. The voltage you'll need to work the diaphragms is the same, regardless.

(My guess would be that they do pass 600VDC or so through the cable, rather than doing a DC/DC step-up in the can itself - while it is definitely doable, DC/DC conversion is inherently noisy and even if the Sennheiser R&D team were able to make sure it was inaudible (they would be!), it probably wouldn't go down too well in the audiophile press and on forums like this.)

Not that I think it would matter one iota to the intended clientele, of course.

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #979 of 1,046
" Class A MOSFET high-voltage amplifiers.... integrated directly into the cups of the headphones" !!

I hope this strange "in the cup amplification" design will not make the Headphone Heavy (I can't use LCDs for any long listening time just because of their weight)

(side effect: the Sennheiser Amp will ONLY work with it's associated headphone. No possibility to use a STAX headphone ...)

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #980 of 1,046

Most likely each individual tube cylinder has a built in air condition, at that price that's not too much to expect
biggrin.gif

According to the description, the main amplification is performed in the headphones themselves. That means that the tubes in the base are just small signal tubes (preamp tubes). Normal small signal tubes don't get all that hot, and so a few small holes in the glass covers, or even conduction through the glass, are probably enough to keep them from overheating.

Marble is easier to work with, which is why it was used in all those famous statues, but, at the price this is likely to end up at, I can think of several "fancier" stones I would prefer.....

Turritella agate comes to mind....
(or even some scheme where you could use your own custom polished mineral slabs)

very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #981 of 1,046
For all the money, all you get are hand selected tubes in Germany.  Not actually made in Germany.  Is the headphone 2 actually an input (it's in the input section)?  I thought it would be an energizer (for Stax or HE90) like output? 

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #983 of 1,046
there actually was an electrostatic headphone in the past that had part of the output stage
inside the headphone itself. Can't remember which it was, but others might.

there is actually an advantage to having the final amplifier inside the headphones.
the entire length of the cable and the associated capacitance is gone. So the
capacitance might drop to say 50pf from the 120pf or more.
easier to drive and wider frequency response.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #984 of 1,046
I'm sure that there are many great engineering reasons for making such a restrictive design decision, but if this doesn't sound like heaven out of the box, that decision is going to sink the model. I guess we haven't heard word yet about whether the onboard amplification can be bypassed, but if it can't, that eliminates a large and very passionate market for aftermarket electrostatic amps.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #986 of 1,046
  I'm sure that there are many great engineering reasons for making such a restrictive design decision, but if this doesn't sound like heaven out of the box, that decision is going to sink the model. I guess we haven't heard word yet about whether the onboard amplification can be bypassed, but if it can't, that eliminates a large and very passionate market for aftermarket electrostatic amps.

There are two ways of looking at that....

With the amplification built into the headset, connected directly to the electrostatic elements, and the cabling designed to carry line level signals, it seems most unlikely that it would be practical to use a different electrostatic headphone amplifier. (You would need to change the internal connections, and the cabling, and do all that safely at signal levels of hundreds of volts.)

However, if ALL of the high level amplification is contained in the headset, and the "base station" puts out a standard line level signal, then it should be reasonably simple to use either that base station, or a much simpler high-voltage supply, to provide the power to run the electronics in the earpieces, and get the line-level audio signal to send to them from somewhere else. (In other words, you should be able to use the base unit as a power supply, or use a simpler "power supply only" for that, and use any REGULAR source or headphone amp as your signal source. So, while you probably won't be able to use them with other electrostatic headphone amps, you may be able to use them with a wide variety of other regular headphone amps, or even directly with line-level sources.)

This would both open up the possibility of using any normal headphone amp you like instead of the one they provide, for skipping the headphone amp entirely and connecting them directly to your source, and for after-market power supplies and amps.

Whether that becomes a reality would depend on whether they provide "the connections" you need to do so, and whether the headset really does contain ALL of the amplifier circuitry inside it.

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #987 of 1,046
You bring up a very intriguing point. I very much hope that your second interpretation comes out to be the correct one.

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #988 of 1,046
I think the headphone output built into the box is a poor choice. When listening you have to either leave the lid up, or close it with a piece of foam or something so the cable isn't crushed. And I do not like the asymmetry between the headphone box and tube area.

I also noticed the earpads are much shallower than what I remember on my HE90. But the actual depth to the entire earpiece enclosure is quite wide. Nothing sounds like the HE90 soundstage wise... it is the most accurate I have ever heard for symphony music. I hope new one can maintain that vertical soundstage.

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #990 of 1,046

Quote:
there actually was an electrostatic headphone in the past that had part of the output stage
inside the headphone itself. Can't remember which it was, but others might.

there is actually an advantage to having the final amplifier inside the headphones.
the entire length of the cable and the associated capacitance is gone. So the
capacitance might drop to say 50pf from the 120pf or more.
easier to drive and wider frequency response.

The Koss ESP 6 connects directly to regular amplifier outlets and has a transformer and associated electronics in the cup. It was good for its day, but lacks the detail of modern phones. On the other hand the Stax phones sound harsh by comparison. However they are heavy, at almost 2 pounds. I got an old set some years ago and cleaned them up to get them working again.  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/234504/koss-esp6-refurbished-vintage-electrostatics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back