Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Aug 29, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #378 of 1,046
Oh c o c k! Not again:frowning2:
I hear wind in my pocket...
blink.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #379 of 1,046
Yeh great list, but if I may say so some all time greats missing like the QUAD and Radford, also nothing from EAR Yoshino (Tim De Paravicini), CARY, Atama-Sphere, VAC, TubeTechnology to name but a few 
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Yup. Obviously they have not really done thorough research into modern, or classic, design aesthetics of the luxury goods market. It just may do as well as the first version, which by some measure 'flopped'. Maybe that is Sennheiser's goal? Problem is, long-term the new version may never be considered visually-pleasing and desirable by as large an audience as the first version. That may be deeply concerning for Sennheiser.

BTW: Here' a page I've had online for well over a decade with the original and a few other tube amps I call 'Tube Lust'. Notice the difference between any of these tube amplifiers and the new Senn version?

www.EnjoyTheMusic.com/tubelust/tubelustpage10.htm

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #380 of 1,046
Oxford Audio (UK) are doing a headphone comparison event on 10th October, where they will be demoing the original Orpheus, in addition to various modern phones, including Stax.
I'll be there for that one reason alone (to try the Orpheus for the first and possibly last time).

Now, Rosmadi, wouldn't it be really, really cool if these new ones were there too?

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #382 of 1,046
I hope they do a HE60 analogue as well, I expect they will. Have the super high end headphones and amp, and then a more reasonably priced one with simpler materials and a more basic amp that is at least closer to the reach of the non-yacht owning demographic. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #383 of 1,046

Yup. Obviously they have not really done thorough research into modern, or classic, design aesthetics of the luxury goods market. It just may do as well as the first version, which by some measure 'flopped'. Maybe that is Sennheiser's goal? Problem is, long-term the new version may never be considered visually-pleasing and desirable by as large an audience as the first version. That may be deeply concerning for Sennheiser.

BTW: Here' a page I've had online for well over a decade with the original and a few other tube amps I call 'Tube Lust'. Notice the difference between any of these tube amplifiers and the new Senn version?

www.EnjoyTheMusic.com/tubelust/tubelustpage10.htm

Never had a tube amp, but one question I've always had, especially seeing some of the models in your link,  has been how often owners have to clean those units to keep them looking pristine?  That looks like an arduous process in and of itself.  I know it's probably perceived as a superfluous point, but I think it's a practical question I've wondered about.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #384 of 1,046
  mmm.......not valid. This Orpheus successor is meant for folks with a house or two or three, a car or two or three or a dozen totl headphones or two or three.........but this is not just a matter of looking at it from the fiscal point of view but from the POV of  intangible benefits: the enjoyment part that this will bring to the lucky few. I think of it as an investment in mental health. How do you put a price tag on that? If you are a true-blue headphile or a true- blue music lover, like we are, then you'd understand...................................... And I want to listen to Air Supply on The Rig!!!!

mmm... yeah it is valid. You can get a 007mk1, 009, or hd800 rig for around $10k that will beat the pants off this thing sound wise and while not make a measly 1%, will probably not lose a whole lot of money. If you buy used you probably wont lose any money. Sounds to me like your the guy who lights his cigars with hundred dollar bills. Not a true-blue music lover by a long shot in my books. True-blue music lovers still want value even at totl levels.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #386 of 1,046

mmm... yeah it is valid. You can get a 007mk1, 009, or hd800 rig for around $10k that will beat the pants off this thing sound wise and while not make a measly 1%, will probably not lose a whole lot of money. If you buy used you probably wont lose any money. Sounds to me like your the guy who lights his cigars with hundred dollar bills. Not a true-blue music lover by a long shot in my books. True-blue music lovers still want value even at totl levels.

True, I don't need this granite monstrosity for my mental health.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #387 of 1,046

Never had a tube amp, but one question I've always had, especially seeing some of the models in your link,  has been how often owners have to clean those units to keep them looking pristine?  That looks like an arduous process in and of itself.  I know it's probably perceived as a superfluous point, but I think it's a practical question I've wondered about.

A 2 bit stylus brush or if you want to get fancy, $5 makeup brush will do the trick.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #388 of 1,046
I think we should give Sennheiser the benfit of doubt before jumping on conclusions. Let's see how much they ask for it...and...who knows...they will sound that much better.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #389 of 1,046
  I think we should give Sennheiser the benfit of doubt before jumping on conclusions. Let's see how much they ask for it...and...who knows...they will sound that much better.

Nope sorry. Marble = FLOP. Especially when you have the best material Panzerholz in your own backyard and it is incredibly hard to export.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back