Did I try the Beyerdynamic DT990 at Disney World?
Oct 25, 2012 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hifihedgehog

500+ Head-Fier
Before responding to this thread, please refer to the subsequent updates made by me. There could be a few changes here and there which make all the difference.

I am now at the crossroads of upgrading in the hierarchy of headphone audiophila. But I have a lingering thought in mind that is leaving me confused as to what decision to make. About eight years ago, I went to Disney World and came across a pair of headphones that left me without words. In this case, superlatives such as stunning, impactful, and breathtaking were all I could say of them. It was in an area called Rafiki's Planet Watch at the exhibit The Song of the Rainforest if I recall correctly ( http://stitchkingdom.com/planetwatch/ ). I think they were the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium because I believe they were open, sturdy, comfy and gray.

Does anyone know if those headphones I heard were the DT990?

EDIT: It may not have been in that part of Disney World, but I do remember trying headphones as described somewhere in Disney World. Maybe I heard them in the Epcot.

EDIT 2: It was not there because this photo was taken in 2009, a while after my visit to Disney World in 2003. Koss portapros were certainly not what I heard and floored me since I know they were circumaural. It could be Disney World switched headphones in the booth between 2003 and 2009. Either way, those are average headphones--which I personally feel pale in comparison to the KSC75--compared to something I know was unique.

I now am tending to think it was in the Epcot where I may have heard the DT990. Anyone got any ideas?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 4
I think an 8 year old single time experience is probably a bad judge of sound quality. There's a few versions of DT990, plus the DT880, and since Disney seems to use Koss headphones in the picture you found, I'd also say go look up an image of the PRO4AAAT (the only open-back Koss model made in recent times aside from the ESP/950 (which is unmistakable)).

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi

Sonic - sorry to go off on a tangent. I joined this site specifically to ask you about the photo of the booth at Epcot or Disney with the headphones and the and audio experience.

I remember that so well from my childhood - it really left a lasting impression!

Now, more than 20 years later it's relevant to some work I'm doing and I'd desperately like to find out more about the exhibit and if possible obtain a copy of the audio.

Can you help at all?

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 4
  Hi

Sonic - sorry to go off on a tangent. I joined this site specifically to ask you about the photo of the booth at Epcot or Disney with the headphones and the and audio experience.

I remember that so well from my childhood - it really left a lasting impression!

Now, more than 20 years later it's relevant to some work I'm doing and I'd desperately like to find out more about the exhibit and if possible obtain a copy of the audio.

Can you help at all?

I can somewhat, even though it is several months since you posted. The exhibit had a binaural, rainforest audio recording. It was located in a back room of the building Rafiki's Planet Watch. Sadly, I do not have a copy of the audio and never did. Your best bet would be to contact the Disney World itself. Actually, I often have a lot of success calling people. I have called corporations and businesses, including many of the audio companies talked about here, and talked to right people and gotten the service I was after. (Like a loaned sample unit of a Shure SRH940 to demo at a local audio shop!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back