Did I make the wrong choice?
May 9, 2008 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Unarmed

New Head-Fier
3 months ago I bought a grado sr225. I'm not saying that I don't like it (they have been by far the best pair of headphones I have ever owned and listen to) but I have been having some doubts and think I could have made a better purchase.

The main type of music I listen to is rock and metal. I'm a big NIN and Tool fan and I also use the headphones on my computer through an xfi sound card for games and music.

Should I have went with something else?

May 9, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 22
YOU FOOL! Lol...

just kidding...and welcome!

What don't you like about the Grados? Are you looking for more bass, more detail, that sort of thing?

May 9, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 22
I don't have anything else to compare it to. I've heard a lot of good things about the HD580/600/650. I've also heard things about grado's such as they color the sound and they aren't good at anything other then listening to rock music.

I'm happy with the sound but I can't help but to think that I could be hearing something much better.

May 9, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unarmed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm happy with the sound but I can't help but to think that I could be hearing something much better.

Yes, there is different, but better . . . .

'better' is purely subjective
wink.gif

May 9, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

I don't have anything else to compare it to. I've heard a lot of good things about the HD580/600/650. I've also heard things about grado's such as they color the sound and they aren't good at anything other then listening to rock music.

If you're very happy with the sound, I'd just go with that. Hanging around places like this reading about what other people think can fuel discontent and want. If reading posts here is making you second guess a purchase that you are otherwise perfectly happy with, I'd say this is the problem, not the phones. Read the news while you listen to music.

Tim

May 9, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 22
maybe try switching 'phones with someone here in head-fi. the guys here are trustworthy, and if you will not like it they will switch back. if you like it stick with it ^^

May 9, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 22
I know I shouldn't think too much about it and I'm really not. I'm just considering getting a new pair sometime down the road and I'd like to know which direction I should go.

Would an amp really make a big difference?

Also how is my source bad?

May 9, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 22
a while ago, i bought a pair of grado sr325i to use when i listen to heavy rock, metal, screamo, etc. to my ears, it was too forward, aggressive and harsh.
i do not know what you dont like about sr225... usually people who dont like grados complain about the same stuff as i mentioned above.
i think you should try a sennheiser. maybe hd580. great for rock imo. and many times more comfortable than grados. you should be able to find a used pair for around $150 on FS section. or ebay or audiogon.

May 9, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 22
Yeah, the 580 would be a nice guess...see if you can demo some of those. Maybe Beyerdynamic DT780's (closed), or 880's (semi-open).

May 9, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 22
Don't rush out and replace phones you're happy with because you've read someone else thinks blah-blah are the best ever.

A) they're listening with their ears, not yours.
B) what is their frame of reference, their experience? Have they compared blah-blah to other quality phones or are blah-blah the only good phones they've ever heard.

Now with that said, wait for the opportunity to heard other brands before shelling out hard earned money. But if you really-really have to upgrade, stick with Grado and consider the 325i or RS2.

Buy equipment wisely so there's money left for music.

May 9, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

I know I shouldn't think too much about it and I'm really not. I'm just considering getting a new pair sometime down the road and I'd like to know which direction I should go.

Would an amp really make a big difference?

Also how is my source bad?

Firstly I don't think your SR225 will improve that much by spending a couple of hundreds in an amp. Those babies can sound pretty good even from a DAP delivering less power than your sound card's HPO. I have an older model of those Sound Blasters and it's surprising capable, not at amplifiers level, but heck, it can drive my AKG K701 quite well, not very loud, but sounding good to my ears.
The source isn't what I'd call "high-end" but it's pretty decent and again, you'd need to spend some serious money to notice differences worth the expenditure. I'd bet one foot that a 200 USD DAC doesn't sound any better than your soundcard with the Grados.

Since it looks like you've got the "curiosity bug", which is one of the most dangerous diseases around here, along with upgraditis, I think it's fine you try something else. What? Mmmm I don't know, it all depends on the kind of curiosity bug you've got. Maybe the Senns are interesting. IMHO HD600/580 are among the most neutral cans, their frequency curves are among the most balanced available, thus they'd provide you an idea of how is "neutral" sound and what's listening to a recording in a more accurate way than your Grados offer. Probably the Beyer DT880 would be a good bet in that same direction. The only problem of these choices, specially for the Senns is that you'd probably need some amp delivering more power than the soundcard. The Senns sound fine from the SB, but not as loud as you might wish. In any case some decent amp would cost not more than 200, less if buying used.

Were your bug of the "more whatever" kind, then you'd better define what are you looking for and what you'd like to try, perhaps deeper bass, softer highs, righter voices... once you knew, we'd be in a better position to suggest things.

Rgrds

May 9, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 22
You are suffering from Upgraditis. Be warned: more headphones lead to more headphones.

I don't know of a permanent cure, but buying more music helps. Also, a turntable can be something of a remedy. Yes, there's expense and fuss with them, but once you settle in, hunting interesting records for 50 cents each can take the place of megabuck purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back