Did I make the wrong choice?
May 9, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #16 of 22
im surprised no one has asked, but what are you listening music through? Source? What format is your music in?

If you get a great pair of headphones and your music is all in 128kb MP3, then you going to notice the flaws in your music more.

Grab a small amp, run a line out (on you DAP), maybe try a cd in a player. However, i would still get a small amp to give those sr225 some power. I had them and LOVED them, minus the comfort issues i have with grado. Sorry this is sloppy, im typing this from my cell phone at work eheh

May 9, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unarmed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3 months ago I bought a grado sr225. I'm not saying that I don't like it (they have been by far the best pair of headphones I have ever owned and listen to) but I have been having some doubts and think I could have made a better purchase.

The main type of music I listen to is rock and metal. I'm a big NIN and Tool fan and I also use the headphones on my computer through an xfi sound card for games and music.

Should I have went with something else?

For your music genre the SR225 is a great choice, IMHO. Depending on music and source, I would put the K501, SR225 and SE530 ahead of the HD580s. For your the music you listen to I would go SR225 followed by the SE530s. Well, at least that's what my ears hear
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #18 of 22
I would not recommend the HD580s for Rock/Metal unless you have an amp with the voltage to bring out their best (almost, certainly a home amp). Otherwise they are dull and lack the transience to handle rock and metal well. I'm betting they would be a disappointment after the SR225s.

May 9, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #20 of 22
As others have mentioned you are suffering from upgraditis. I would agree with everyone saying that you should just enjoy the cans and don't worry about what others are using. I feel Grados are great for rock and when you start thinking about upgrading your cans you run the rest of wanting to either get more cans, upgrading your source and getting amps and then possibly cables. I would just enjoy the SR225 as IMHO they are still one of my favorites for rock with the L3000s. Remember that you don't want to one go off the deep end and two go down the rabbit hole further and further. It may be a fun journey but your wallet will get a lot more lighter. Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im in the minority probably but I feel that for Rock music there is no better headphone than the Sennheiser HD600 / 650s when properly amped.

Have to agree, my Glite taught my 580s how to rock and roll.

May 10, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #22 of 22
Give them some time. At first I wasn't crazy about my SR60s, but now I love them more than ever. I have two pairs, and they sound so spectacular that upgraditis isn't bothering me much.

Well, I'm off to buy some 325i's....see ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back