Did I make the right choice buying Senn HD555's?
Feb 16, 2011 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

halehaler

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to buy them now, and just wondered whether I was making a grave mistake, this will be my first headphone buy.

I'm going to mod them to make them sound more like th5 595's, I will be aminly using them for gaming with the Astro Mixamp, but will also be using them for pop, hip-hop and light rock music.

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
I'm about to buy them now, and just wondered whether I was making a grave mistake,

A grave mistake is talking on your mobile phone while doing 150ks on the expressway. This is just a headphone purchase, and no one will be able to tell you if it's wise or not until you tell them your musical tastes and the type of sound you're looking for.

Irrespective of all that, my opinion is that the 555 is the best balanced, and best value, phone in its price range.

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
 A grave mistake is talking on your mobile phone while doing 150ks on the expressway. This is just a headphone purchase, and no one will be able to tell you if it's wise or not until you tell them your musical tastes and the type of sound you're looking for.

Irrespective of all that, my opinion is that the 555 is the best balanced, and best value, phone in its price range.

Yess!!!

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 16
Only you can prevent forest fir-- I mean, make that judgment once you've listened to your new headphones.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 16
Halehaler, can you stop with these threads? You've already bit the bullet. Stop doubting your purchase, wait for them to arrive, do the mods, and give them their due time.

No one can tell you whether you will like them or not. Not everyone's tastes are the same. Doubting yourself every two seconds is just silly.

Take it easy.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 16
I can't believe you're worrying about them being a mistake before you even bought them.  You have to start somewhere and if you can't audition them or bother to go somewhere to audition them, then you need to buy them and try them out for yourself.

Then again, you look like you're just asking for reassurances.  Yes, they sound amazing, yes they're the greatest thing ever and after the mod you will never need to spend money on a new pair of headphones ever again because nothing will sound as good.  You are also a pretty, pretty princess and all your dreams and hopes will come true.  Do you feel better now about your purchase?

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 16
Lol, most of my headphone purchases were pretty good, though I've have my share of major flops. Tritton Ax Pro, ESW9. Those cost me a LOT more than the HD555, and I had to pay a restocking fee just to get money back.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #11 of 16
The grave mistake thing was a joke by the way :p

And I was just asking for opinions really, seeing as I'd only ever heard one; the main reason I was wondering is because I'm only a kid an don't have a massive source of income.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 16
I think a lot of us are guilty of making ourselves feel better about our purchase, even though most of the time this happens before the actual purchase.
tongue.gif

At various points in time I overhyped a certain kind of upgrade for myself by reading about it or whatever (mainly headphones), and I was disappointed by the outcome. With some exceptions.
So in order to help you appreciate the endresult more I should say that you've made a terrible decision and that the HD555 are horrible.

Honestly though, the HD555 are one of those exceptions. I sometimes switched between them and the 650s. Never did the mod though, so I can't comment on that.

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At various points in time I overhyped a certain kind of upgrade for myself by reading about it or whatever (mainly headphones), and I was disappointed by the outcome.

I've found that whatever you want to believe, you can find someone with an opinion to support it... modded 555s are the same as standard 595s, or no, they're totally different. I've seen Grados described as dark, and Sennheisers as bright. Up is down, black is white, and chicken nuggets are a part of a well balanced diet.

Research is obviously important, but you're never going to have all the information you need, and one of the worst things you can do is over-analyse. Just find someone who's tried a headphone you have, and you can reduce it to a basic algebra:

They think 555 is bass-lite                                 X
---------------------------------   =   -----------------------------
 They think M50 has perfect bass           You think M50 is bass-heavy

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 16
Strange that, isn't it? If you order something and go looking on Google, no matter how well reviewed the item is generally, there's always someone who posts that it had the worst sound ever and he's sending it back. I've just ordered an Onkyo a-9555 integrated amp for my 650s, mainly based on reviews and price, but as soon as I placed the order I read two negative reviews in a row. I was heartbroken, of course, as you are; and then I discovered that the 9555 doesn't even drive its headphones through a resistor from the main amp but uses its own op amp based amp (one of the exceptions). Ha! I bought it to sample Class D sound only to find I won't be getting Class D but an op amp. So much for reviews. So much for the planning of mice and men. The truth no doubt is that Class D sounds much like A/B which sounds much like A which sounds like T because none of them grossly alters the sound anyway, and what sounds slightly worse on one recording may well sound slightly better on the next. It's a merry-go-round, folks, and we're on it by choice, and our young OP has just got on and is already enjoying the pangs of anxiety and delights of anticipation over his first purchase. There's only one question left to answer: why am I rambling on like this?
k701smile.gif

Quote:

I've found that whatever you want to believe, you can find someone with an opinion to support it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back