Did Apple really steal the portible market from Sony?
May 8, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #16 of 82
Apple is dominating the market, there's no question about it. Hell, iPod has become a genericized trademark. The other day, I was looking for the MP3 player section here; guess why I had trouble finding it. Cause the section started with the letter i.

It will take something revolutionary in terms of marketing, design and technology to dislodge Apple from its throne. Right now, Apple's marketing is LITERALLY flawless, and the [ ]o] design is working wonders as it's recognizable everywhere, it's trendy, and it's simple. I'm really curious as to how long it will take a company to create something that's capable of competing with the iPod. I still have faith in Sony. Microsoft doesn't know what they're doing. Ipod killer? Right... the MP3 player that sounds so perfect that it doesn't even need an equalizer.

May 8, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #17 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by GN85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have faith in Sony. Microsoft doesn't know what they're doing. Ipod killer? Right... the MP3 player that sounds so perfect that it doesn't even need an equalizer.

Actually, IMO MS will do better than Sony. MS has the experience in software. They have Windows, Windows Mobile, Xbox Live, and the Zune ecosystem. All they need to do is link all those up.
Sony is still stuck in the 90s, only thinks of standalone devices, and still thinks that Japanese market first, others later (or never). Just look at their walkman, their scattered lineup of SE phones, PSN, etc. Heck, Sony has Sony Music and Sony Pictures, yet they cannot even figure out how to distribute their own content.

May 8, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #18 of 82
i am curious in whether sony is the king of portable players in japan or not, considering their grip in their home country. anyone knows any info regarding this?

May 8, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #19 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, IMO MS will do better than Sony. MS has the experience in software. They have Windows, Windows Mobile, Xbox Live, and the Zune ecosystem. All they need to do is link all those up.
Sony is still stuck in the 90s, only thinks of standalone devices, and still thinks that Japanese market first, others later (or never). Just look at their walkman, their scattered lineup of SE phones, PSN, etc. Heck, Sony has Sony Music and Sony Pictures, yet they cannot even figure out how to distribute their own content.

I think you are expecting too much of MS. They just don't innovate. All of the above are alternatives/reactions to things like the iPod, Playstation, Palm, etc.

Aren't Sony are the only one of these companies to be a publisher of content. Thus they have different motivation than the others to control content and copyright. I think it trips them up at every turn.

May 8, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #20 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am curious in whether sony is the king of portable players in japan or not, considering their grip in their home country. anyone knows any info regarding this?

I think in general the Japanese Market and mobile network is far more advanced then anywhere else. As such they expect more features, like mobile TV or electronic payments which just haven't happened most other places. I know thats more about mobile phones. But I think its the same with their portable players. Which is why the A series had a line in in Japan but not else where. You see that a lot with Japanese players.

Why the Japanese Hate the iPhone | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Basically its a very different market. MD (not HiMD) was still very popular till recently.

May 8, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #21 of 82
Steal or not, its a fact that Apple have the major portable player market these days!

May 9, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #22 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are expecting too much of MS. They just don't innovate. All of the above are alternatives/reactions to things like the iPod, Playstation, Palm, etc.

Today, you can argue that nobody "innovates" anymore, since a lot of today's technology and gadget are derivatives. MS is pretty much a giant, and although they might not "innovate," they do respond to the trend and market, albeit slowly. Compare that to Sony who still has no clue.

May 9, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #23 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today, you can argue that nobody "innovates" anymore, since a lot of today's technology and gadget are derivatives. MS is pretty much a giant, and although they might not "innovate," they do respond to the trend and market, albeit slowly. Compare that to Sony who still has no clue.

I'm sorry but you sound so much like a MS fanboy. Your attempt to raise MS onto a pedestal, while degrading Sony is hilarious! If anyone ever visits other forums, especially video game forums, they will know what I mean. MS has tons of problems too, as does Sony, and comparing a certain feature that MS may have over Sony is about as dumb as saying my desktop computer with 1 tb HD is way better than your 16 gb itouch/zune at storing music/videos so therefore it's the better music player. Quite illogical don't you think?

You say that nobody innovates? Were there tons of capacitive touch screens phones available before the iPhone? (prob in Japan, but not here) Hell, I'd say even the DVD is an innovation over VHS...then you have Blu-Ray/HDDVD....

OT: I had a SE phone and there were many days that it was more convenient to just listen to music off of it, than to grab my ipod update/refresh it through itunes (gayness). There's no doubt MP3 players are new to some people, especially the older generation, but I think as they die off and the younger crowd realizes the cuffs that itunes/ipods have, the other brands of mp3 players (Cowon, IRiver, etc) will begin to take off. We'll then see the marketshare more balanced.

It still amazes me why people would buy a shuffle that has more than 1gb on it. Not having a screen and having over 1000+ songs seems very pointless to me. =/

May 10, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #24 of 82
Sony's style is a innovative in itself. I had a Sony Bean. Oh man was I the coolest kid in 7th grade. I moved to the Sony A818 and I had people thinking I had a cool new cellphone. I believe Sony rewards those who "look harder" opposed to saying "OMGAAAAHHH I JUST WANT THE IPOD CUZ LIKE....ALL MY FRIENDS HAVE ONE!!! *screams like a fan girl*" I never really dug into the iPod craze. Don't get me wrong it's nice to have an mp3 player for every tasty color you can imagine but it's not my cup of tea. I am a Sony fan boy but I don't see how that can affect my preference towards a Walkman. I get MP3 players to do simple music playback in a great way. iPods do that but not in the manner I prefer. Go figure. I'm sure if Sony's marketing was better we'd have a 50/50 share of people who prefer Walkman's to Pod's bu asof now, I think I'll stick to being unique at my school for now.
wink.gif

May 10, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #25 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverknit3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony's style is a innovative in itself. I had a Sony Bean. Oh man was I the coolest kid in 7th grade. I moved to the Sony A818 and I had people thinking I had a cool new cellphone. I believe Sony rewards those who "look harder" opposed to saying "OMGAAAAHHH I JUST WANT THE IPOD CUZ LIKE....ALL MY FRIENDS HAVE ONE!!! *screams like a fan girl*" I never really dug into the iPod craze. Don't get me wrong it's nice to have an mp3 player for every tasty color you can imagine but it's not my cup of tea. I am a Sony fan boy but I don't see how that can affect my preference towards a Walkman. I get MP3 players to do simple music playback in a great way. iPods do that but not in the manner I prefer. Go figure. I'm sure if Sony's marketing was better we'd have a 50/50 share of people who prefer Walkman's to Pod's bu asof now, I think I'll stick to being unique at my school for now.
wink.gif

Coolest kid in school, eh? Lets all get beans.

May 10, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #27 of 82
aplles wont dominate portable market. portable players will extinct as soon as mobile phones get cheap enough and play good music. a new nokia 5130 sounds as good as ipotouch and cost you a fingernail. only sansa clip will survive , becouse you can clip it on your body ;]

May 10, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #28 of 82
The main reason sony failed was because it wanted to protect it's music division from piracy(hence drm and soundstage), but you can't blame them for something that'll effect their bottom line. Otherwise I believed minidisc would have been much more popular.

May 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #29 of 82
iPods are everywhere. Everyone has them and everyone wants them. IMO the only thing that they do right is A) Form factor and B) Use of software to manage media for me (a lot of people don't like this though).

May 12, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #30 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by spideyman409 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry but you sound so much like a MS fanboy. Your attempt to raise MS onto a pedestal, while degrading Sony is hilarious! If anyone ever visits other forums, especially video game forums, they will know what I mean. MS has tons of problems too, as does Sony, and comparing a certain feature that MS may have over Sony is about as dumb as saying my desktop computer with 1 tb HD is way better than your 16 gb itouch/zune at storing music/videos so therefore it's the better music player. Quite illogical don't you think?

You say that nobody innovates? Were there tons of capacitive touch screens phones available before the iPhone? (prob in Japan, but not here) Hell, I'd say even the DVD is an innovation over VHS...then you have Blu-Ray/HDDVD....

OT: I had a SE phone and there were many days that it was more convenient to just listen to music off of it, than to grab my ipod update/refresh it through itunes (gayness). There's no doubt MP3 players are new to some people, especially the older generation, but I think as they die off and the younger crowd realizes the cuffs that itunes/ipods have, the other brands of mp3 players (Cowon, IRiver, etc) will begin to take off. We'll then see the marketshare more balanced.

It still amazes me why people would buy a shuffle that has more than 1gb on it. Not having a screen and having over 1000+ songs seems very pointless to me. =/

Maybe you should learn how to read from the originating thread first to learn how the flow of the discussion went, instead of jumping in and spouting nonsense mid-thread and flaming others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back