Did Apple really steal the portible market from Sony?
Dec 17, 2006 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

Veggie_Musician

500+ Head-Fier
Sure there are loads of iPods about - but the amount of people I see with SE Walkman phones... Id say there are more people using their sony and nokia music phones than ipod users nowdays!

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 82
i like SONY~~~i m SONY fan~~
580smile.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure there are loads of iPods about - but the amount of people I see with SE Walkman phones... Id say there are more people using their sony and nokia music phones than ipod users nowdays!

blink.gif
Are you serious? Where do you live?

Dec 17, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 82
Apple didn't 'steal' the portable market from Sony. Apple just gave the crowd what they wanted, while Sony's Entertainment division threw their weight around and put restrictions on the players, which no one purchased.

Sony lost due to greed. Apple won because they don't think that everyone who has a computer is a potential music pirate. *ahem*.

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 82
You're percents certainly aren't what I see in San Fran. Plus we'll see how things change with the introduction of the iPhone.

Sony. Apple.

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 82
I've accompanied two classmates to buy an iPod video in the last few months. Out of my whole class, about half have some kind of iPod, be it a shuffle, nano, mini, video, monochrome, etc.

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow.. where do you live?

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 82
Sony stuck with the MP3/CD player while Apple put lots of space in a small package. I personally have seen 1 SE Walkman phone while I see hundreds of iPods daily. I am in Boston.

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 82
Well Sony did have HD players and MD & HiMD. So they didn't just have have CD players. its their restrictive DRM that lost them their market. They were simply out designed with the iPod.

May 7, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 82
Sony cares too much about their own formats, which either make(Blue-Ray) or break (MD,UMD) . 7 years back I was the coolest kids in town carrying Sony MD around. Friends surrounded me every time I shove it out, thinking back it was hilarious... And now it's dead. Like very dead.

When you see how Apple market their iPod, it set the bar very high, and is very hard to beat that sort of influence. There is a good reason why everyone and his dog call every MP3 players iPods. Heck, even the government use iPod as a signature for any sort of portable MP3 players on the street and in tube station now adays here in the UK. I mean, it's a cultural symbol already.... now sony can try and beat that but it will be hard. Zune tried, and did manage to get hold of marketshare to some degree, but no where close to iPod's.

Back in the old days Walkman is the epitome of portable musics. Time changes since the introduction of MP3 format, and Sony doesn't seem to get the right direction. You can see their attemtps to create alternatives like MD players. Even then they still stick to their CD players as the main portable lines. I recalled it was already well into iPod 2nd/3rd gen that Sony tried to come up with a nice looking MP3 players, but it was too late probably.

May 7, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 82
Have both Ipod and Sony products here! They both have there good and bad points! How do you know what people are using around you if they have there Sony-Apple products in there pockets?

May 7, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 82
I'd wager than even if Apple has 70% of the market the whole market now is such a much bigger pie than it's ever been that Sony's smaller slice is bigger than their old big slice.

May 8, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 82
Another miraculous resurrection.
biggrin.gif

It seems more like Sony ceded the market to anyone willing to come up with a good idea. It didn't have to be Apple, it could have been any company that put out a large capacity, easy to use DAP.

Too bad for Sony. Sony always seems to come up with neat stuff, then they make a huge mess out of licensing and handling the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back