Did anybody use JPLAY? Did you hear any difference?
Aug 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 25
It appears to me to make sound placement a bit more distinct, at least to my setup. (foobar2k+jplay, mapleshade clearlink plus, dacmini cx, toxic poison, lcd2)
Listening with jplay or just asio drivers make no difference in sound stamp, same tonality, but a bit more alive due to sound being more dispersed. (imaging I suppose is improved, still not very well defined, but better that asio)
I like beach setting more than river. (hibernate seems to lock my music system without being able to hear music from it)

I notice procesor 1 (core 1) being locked due to jplay service being active, also jplaymini is not generating any page faults due to music playing.
It will be interesting to test jplay with good binaural recordings to check how well 3d imaging gets improved.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #18 of 25
Does paying 136 dollars (99 eur) for changing some settings in Windows seem at least a bit exaggerated for you?
Does jplay do anything extra than this? I am asking as I don't really know.
For me, there was a slight positive change when trying trial version, although it was not worth the price for me.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #19 of 25
Oct 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #21 of 25
Does paying 136 dollars (99 eur) for changing some settings in Windows seem at least a bit exaggerated for you?
Does jplay do anything extra than this? I am asking as I don't really know.
For me, there was a slight positive change when trying trial version, although it was not worth the price for me.

I have used Jplay mini for a year plus, and it is well worth the price (especially compared to some "investments" I've made in this hobby through the years) in my systems. Open, transparent, and dynamic, IMO. And now with v 5.1, it's pretty glitch-free.

Computer audio experts from companies such as Wavelength and Audioquest have for years put out information about optimizing computers by manually shutting off unnecessary tasks the computer "wants" to run while we want it to only play music. I believe Jplay accomplishes that. (I'm not suggesting those companies endorse Jplay.)

On another subject Korzena, how is JKSPDIF with Bifrost? Do you by chance have Bifrost USB to compare it to? I'm asking because I've had The original Bifrost USB for a year plus, then did the uber analog upgrade (very good), but held off on Gen2 USB because I can't find any reviews describing the sonic improvements (if any). Lately I fiddled around with a V-Link I used with previous dacs and like it. Now I found a $200 deal on a Bel Canto m-link so have it on its way. So may just forget about Gen 2 USB. Anyway, interested in your impressions, never heard a bad word about John Kenny products.

PS: To keep it relevant to this thread, JK has endorsed Jplay. Lol

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #22 of 25
I have used Jplay mini for a year plus, and it is well worth the price (especially compared to some "investments" I've made in this hobby through the years) in my systems. Open, transparent, and dynamic, IMO. And now with v 5.1, it's pretty glitch-free.

Computer audio experts from companies such as Wavelength and Audioquest have for years put out information about optimizing computers by manually shutting off unnecessary tasks the computer "wants" to run while we want it to only play music. I believe Jplay accomplishes that. (I'm not suggesting those companies endorse Jplay.)

On another subject Korzena, how is JKSPDIF with Bifrost? Do you by chance have Bifrost USB to compare it to? I'm asking because I've had The original Bifrost USB for a year plus, then did the uber analog upgrade (very good), but held off on Gen2 USB because I can't find any reviews describing the sonic improvements (if any). Lately I fiddled around with a V-Link I used with previous dacs and like it. Now I found a $200 deal on a Bel Canto m-link so have it on its way. So may just forget about Gen 2 USB. Anyway, interested in your impressions, never heard a bad word about John Kenny products.

PS: To keep it relevant to this thread, JK has endorsed Jplay. Lol

Thank you for your opinion regarding Jplay.

As for your question, unfortunately I cannot answer it because I've always used Bifrost only through coaxial (JKSPDIF) and don't have USB input in my Bifrost at all.
Maybe someone else here tried it and compared?

Oct 27, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #23 of 25

So now, if we ignore the price, it's on par with free players that we've already had 10 years ago?
Oh wait, it's not even an audio player. It just adds a layer to an existing audio player.

Btw, have you guys seen this:
http://www.jriver.com/jplay.html

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #24 of 25
So now, if we ignore the price, it's on par with free players that we've already had 10 years ago?
Oh wait, it's not even an audio player. It just adds a layer to an existing audio player.

Btw, have you guys seen this:
http://www.jriver.com/jplay.html

"Oh wait", Jplay mini is NOT used with an existing audio player, it runs solo.

What a fun hobby, listening to great music on great systems, evaluating products through listening in those systems, and sharing opinions with other listeners.

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #25 of 25
"Oh wait", Jplay mini is NOT used with an existing audio player, it runs solo.

You mean this fancy piece of console goodness:

?

What a fun hobby, listening to great music on great systems, evaluating products through listening in those systems, and sharing opinions with other listeners.

I listened to music with it and also measured it. My subjective experience and objective data agrees with what JRiver, Archimago, the knowledge guys over at HA write.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back