Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Mar 18, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #7,201 of 7,336
reviewers are human beings with all the subjective bias that comes with the territory..I am biased because I am a huge fan of the abyss stable of products and I havent heard the MR but have heard pretty much all of the other HP's offered..all I know is the reviews of the MR have been universally positive with many people suggesting it was their favorite tuning...reviews are worthwhile for sure but to me I try to use a consensus of reviews not a single reviewer...works better that way...if a product has 9 positive and one negative review I tend to disregard the one..also I have gotten to know certain reviewers who seem to prefer the kind of presentation I enjoy and I tend to follow them but ultimately I trust my ears and a few people I have have gotten to know here over the years

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #7,203 of 7,336
How different is the 1266 TC to the Diana TC? I’m trying to decide between that and those sexy zebrawood Calderas. (Yep, thinking about rebuying them 😂)

I’m worried owning the Diana TC and 1266 is somewhat redundant.
Not redundant, for me at all. Time will tell if I can justify keeping both Susvara and DTC (though they are quite distinct from each other). For me, DTC gives me a more intimate detailed listen. Of course 1266 will show you absolutely everything, but yeah there is indeed an intimacy to DTC that's irresistible.

I tend to put on DTC when I just want to listen closely to music. Not analyse it as such, but just hear everything properly.

I tend to put on 1266 when I want to tap my toe to something. It's more of an 'experience'.

They can pack a punch too when your chain is solid. Bass is very powerful for me. It wasn't always the case. I've found that with upgraded power cord to my DAVE and on my Envy, the DTC are serious cans in a way that didn't fully come through on the XIAUDIO stack. That's no shade on that stack. It sounds fantastic. Truly endgame worthy. It's just that the Envy is a really exceptional amp (I say that barely an hour in to mine, btw!). The price difference does reflect that though.

That said, I do fell like there will be a choice for me down the line between Susvara vs DTC.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #7,204 of 7,336
Not redundant, for me at all. Time will tell if I can justify keeping both Susvara and DTC (though they are quite distinct from each other). For me, DTC gives me a more intimate detailed listen. Of course 1266 will show you absolutely everything, but yeah there is indeed an intimacy to DTC that's irresistible.

I tend to put on DTC when I just want to listen closely to music. Not analyse it as such, but just hear everything properly.

I tend to put on 1266 when I want to tap my toe to something. It's more of an 'experience'.

They can pack a punch too when your chain is solid. Bass is very powerful for me. It wasn't always the case. I've found that with upgraded power cord to my DAVE and on my Envy, the DTC are serious cans in a way that didn't fully come through on the XIAUDIO stack. That's no shade on that stack. It sounds fantastic. Truly endgame worthy. It's just that the Envy is a really exceptional amp (I say that barely an hour in to mine, btw!). The price difference does reflect that though.

That said, I do fell like there will be a choice for me down the line between Susvara vs DTC.

Great insight, thank you. The other option I’ve been weighing is upgrading my amp for the DTC. Running a Topping A90D which I really enjoy, I just wonder if I’m missing out by not upgrading.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #7,205 of 7,336
Great insight, thank you. The other option I’ve been weighing is upgrading my amp for the DTC. Running a Topping A90D which I really enjoy, I just wonder if I’m missing out by not upgrading.
You are. Sorry :)

The DTC just scale so well.

I went from Hugo TT2 to the XIAUDIO stack. The DTCs were different headphones. The sense of separation between instruments, but everything still feeling like part of the same song. The soundstage ballooned. Across the board really.

TT2 is a great amp. And I'm not even sure it's about power per se. Because I could play DTC VERY loud on them if I wanted (I'm careful with that. Headphones were resting on the table when experimenting). But the sound just changed with the Formula S/Powerman.

And it's leapt again on the Envy.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #7,206 of 7,336
You are. Sorry :)

The DTC just scale so well.

I went from Hugo TT2 to the XIAUDIO stack. The DTCs were different headphones. The sense of separation between instruments, but everything still feeling like part of the same song. The soundstage ballooned. Across the board really.

TT2 is a great amp. And I'm not even sure it's about power per se. Because I could play DTC VERY loud on them if I wanted (I'm careful with that. Headphones were resting on the table when experimenting). But the sound just changed with the Formula S/Powerman.

And it's leapt again on the Envy.

Food for thought! May just go with amping the DTC. I’m quite happy with them being my only expensive headphone. This hobby just makes you WANT.

Thanks again!

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #7,207 of 7,336
Food for thought! May just go with amping the DTC. I’m quite happy with them being my only expensive headphone. This hobby just makes you WANT.

Thanks again!
1266 is incredible. It's so fun to have and experience. But it's not great for everything.

I could quite happily exist with only DTC.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #7,208 of 7,336
I'll just second that the MZ3 is amazing with the Dianna V2 and there was a used one on here that may still be posted and that is great value. I think all Abyss sounds good off of clean tube amps because the drivers are so fast the tubes add a nice touch of decay to round out notes and that MZ3 is really clean and resolving.

Edit: and I always want to mention you have to get a particular kind of tube amp for low impedance planar but that is one of the things the MZ3 is great at doing.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #7,209 of 7,336
alligator green.

i actually purchased them. had been looking at this headphone for a while and generally prefer new/open box, so this seemed like the right moment.

a few pics of my new Diana TC. my camera is a little bright. the green is darker in person than appears -- the headphones are premium in looks, build and sound.

DSCF5947.jpg
DSCF5958.jpg

DSCF5952.jpg

DSCF5964.jpg

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #7,210 of 7,336
a few pics of my new Diana TC. my camera is a little bright. the green is darker in person than appears -- the headphones are premium in looks, build and sound.

DSCF5947.jpgDSCF5958.jpg
DSCF5952.jpg
DSCF5964.jpg
Really excellent headphones, and a smart colour. Enjoy!

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #7,212 of 7,336
Have had my new disco gold Diana TC for a few days now and have been blown away.
Shines on each of my amps.

20240323_162537.jpg

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #7,213 of 7,336
What are some good (and reasonable) after-market cable recommendations for the Dianas? I really love these headphones, but the short cable really grinds my gears sometimes. :sweat_smile:

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #7,214 of 7,336
What are some good (and reasonable) after-market cable recommendations for the Dianas? I really love these headphones, but the short cable really grinds my gears sometimes. :sweat_smile:
Any all copper, or all silver or hybrid cable from arctic cable should do the trick.

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #7,215 of 7,336
Lavricables have excellent cables. They can be expensive depending on the range, but their Master or Ultimate ranges are incredible value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back