Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Mar 6, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #5,146 of 7,571
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the Diana TC.

I can see used Phi TC sales here which would be very tempting yet they are only a few hundred dollars off buying the headphone brand new from a retailer, is there something about the Diana TC at the moment which is attracting such high asking prices for used? As much as I would like one I may need to wait for the used prices to drop to more reasonable levels.

This might or might not help but how I currently feel about Diana Phi vs 1266 TC:

- Bass is bigger and faster on the 1266. Diana Phi is not lacking and it's also fast compared to almost any other planar. The big boy just punches harder.

- Stage is bigger and very immersive on the 1266 TC. Diana Phi stage is more intimate in comparison even with DMS pads.

- Diana Phi is overall warmer, and that's something I enjoy thoroughly. The 1266 can feel a bit "emotionless" at times. This sometimes makes it hard to get immersed in the music. I prefer vocals on the Diana Phi.

- Detail retrieval, imaging and treble extension are probably a wash. I don't feel one does much more than the other really.

I think some people have compared the 1266 to Diana TC on this thread. It's a dangerous exercise but you might be able to proxy something.

And if you get a Diana TC, please share your comp 😁.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #5,147 of 7,571
This might or might not help but how I currently feel about Diana Phi vs 1266 TC:

- Bass is bigger and faster on the 1266. Diana Phi is not lacking and it's also fast compared to almost any other planar. The big boy just punches harder.

- Stage is bigger and very immersive on the 1266 TC. Diana Phi stage is more intimate in comparison even with DMS pads.

- Diana Phi is overall warmer, and that's something I enjoy thoroughly. The 1266 can feel a bit "emotionless" at times. This sometimes makes it hard to get immersed in the music. I prefer vocals on the Diana Phi.

- Detail retrieval, imaging and treble extension are probably a wash. I don't feel one does much more than the other really.

I think some people have compared the 1266 to Diana TC on this thread. It's a dangerous exercise but you might be able to proxy something.

And if you get a Diana TC, please share your comp 😁.
This mirrors how I heard DTC vs 1266 TC.

I don't like the comfort / design on Diana so that would sway me one way. DTC is quite exceptional although entirely overpriced.

Mar 7, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #5,149 of 7,571
I am just waiting for a Diana TC to hit sub-$3500 levels in the Classifieds then I might jump on the TC mini bandwagon.

The Dphi's have gone for the 2k region recently and I see no reason why these shouldn't either.

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #5,150 of 7,571
My desk starts to feel like an Abyss aftermarket pad factory :deadhorse:

1646768053383.png

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #5,151 of 7,571
My desk starts to feel like an Abyss aftermarket pad factory :deadhorse:

1646768053383.png

I was going to ask why you have so many headphones and then I looked at my collection of 'cans and iems and I promptly shut up...:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:punch:

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #5,152 of 7,571
I was going to ask why you have so many headphones and then I looked at my collection of 'cans and iems and I promptly shut up...:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:punch:
Haha I ask myself the same question, but i'm going to do a spring cleaning and sell some :) Or that's what i keep telling myself until the next one comes....

Mar 9, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #5,153 of 7,571
Do the 1266 pads fit on Diana TC? A quick search didn't reveal an answer.
The DTC pads are not deep enough for my ears; they rub against the drivers and are uncomfortable even after a short while. Love the sound but wont be able to keep them with this issue.

Mar 9, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #5,154 of 7,571
Do the 1266 pads fit on Diana TC? A quick search didn't reveal an answer.
The DTC pads are not deep enough for my ears; they rub against the drivers and are uncomfortable even after a short while. Love the sound but wont be able to keep them with this issue.
Unfortunately the 1266 have a different locking mecanism so they won’t fit on the Diana. If you look at my pics above i’ve been working on a system to retrofit any Hifiman pads on the Diana TC, i’m using Sundaras pads ands its much more comfier for my taste and the soundstage is also more suited to my liking. I guess the big leather foam makes some impact on the way the sound bounces into my hear.
I’ll try to see if i can create a blueprint for adapting pads that are more 1266-like.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #5,156 of 7,571
Just upgraded my whole system with a new amp (well not stricly speaking) : the Audio Valve RKV3. I'm in awe with the 1266 and Diana TC. Just WOW :heart_eyes:
If you're on the look out for a somewhat affordable hybrid amp, try this beast, it pairs so well with Abyss !

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #5,157 of 7,571
Just upgraded my whole system with a new amp (well not stricly speaking) : the Audio Valve RKV3. I'm in awe with the 1266 and Diana TC. Just WOW :heart_eyes:
If you're on the look out for a somewhat affordable hybrid amp, try this beast, it pairs so well with Abyss !
That's interesting, I was looking into their Solaris tube amp recently but shelved that idea because the company is in bad shape.
Always good to hear which tube amps pair well with planars!

Mar 11, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #5,158 of 7,571
That's interesting, I was looking into their Solaris tube amp recently but shelved that idea because the company is in bad shape.
Always good to hear which tube amps pair well with planars!
The Solaris is the newest version of the RKV3 and sounds almost the same (with some improvements over mine)
To be honest, i made the choice to go for it fully aware of the lack of future support but i don’t mind : it’s built like a tank and not so hard to maintain if something (beside the obvious tubes) fail later down the road.

Mar 11, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #5,159 of 7,571
The Solaris is the newest version of the RKV3 and sounds almost the same (with some improvements over mine)
To be honest, i made the choice to go for it fully aware of the lack of future support but i don’t mind : it’s built like a tank and not so hard to maintain if something (beside the obvious tubes) fail later down the road.
may i ask which other amps you have used with the Diana TC and how those combinations compare?

Mar 12, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #5,160 of 7,571
Sure !
Aries Cerat Genus : the best listening experience I've had so far with Abyss by a big margin, vastly detailed, wide soundstage etc... but quite pricey.
Audiovalve RKV3 or Audiovalve Solaris : both amps stem from the same design, they get you 80% toward the Genus experience. Soundstage is much smaller but the punch and the energy, liveliness and drive is there. A banger for the price hence my current choice of heart.
Viva Solista / Egoista : need to try them next ! A listening session is planned in a couple of weeks.
Headamp GSX-mini : My previous amp, I love it as it is very versatile and fits on any desk. It can drive both 1266 and Diana TC properly with plenty of volume room. However, once you listen to bigger amps, it is rather flat and lacks proper "power" to make the drivers truly sing. What i mean is that you reach the same "volume" level as with a bigger amp but it feels "lacking". It's a fantastic pairing on Arya/Ananda, not so much on the Abyss now that i've heard more "fuller" souding amps.
Fiio K9 Pro : Same swiss knife capability as the GSX-mini with a bit less punch, less refinement and transparency than the GSX. Not interesting for me on the Abyss, highly interesting on easier to drive headphones considering the price.
McIntosh MHA200 : kept it for 2 minutes before unplugging, "boring" is the word :)

Also i'm using a Chord Qutest DAC set on 3V RMS for most of my sessions and 2V RMS on some more crowded tracks or when i want to have a more truthful experience. The 3V RMS makes a big improvement aswell in the punch and soundstage of the system, vocals are brought forward and presented in a much more up-close experience. It’s like bringing vocals and bass closer to your ears except you are not EQ-ing, just changing pre-amp voltage!
Going back from 2V RMS (green) and 3V RMS (blue), it's like activating an "epic" filter on the DAC. It works well depending on your mood and I haven't noticed any form of clipping (yet) but suspect some pleasant distortion, if anybody has any advice on that matter i'll be happy to know more :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back